Summer and travel ball ?

Old Wildcat

Unfortunately high school baseball seems to be doomed, I feel so bad for these spring athletes especially the seniors. Now the way things are going I'm afraid summer and travel ball are going to meet the same fate. Damn this is horrible and I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. I cant imagine students will return to the classrooms this year. This whole situation sickens me. The ball players from the class of 2020 will have even more obstacles lasting into there freshmen year of collge baseball. I would think that many college baseball players will be red shirted, which puts the 2020 class even farther down the depth chart. This is heartbreaking and you have to wonder how long the effects of this virus will effect our lives.

If we're talking strictly whether summer ball will be played, I still think there's a shot for teams to get some solid tournaments in this year. Best case scenario right now is that the summer season isn't affected at all. If it is affected (which is likely), the players that lose out the most are any uncommitted seniors, which leads into a different discussion.

It's not uncommon for high school baseball players to sign their NLIs until spring of senior year. I'd be curious to hear of any schools who rescinded scholarship/roster spot offers upon news of the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility to spring sports athletes. It's important to note that it was not just college seniors awarded an extra year, but all spring collegiate players (if they elect to do so). This decision by the NCAA may affect the entire recruiting strategy at certain schools for the next couple years. The NCAA has also waived roster caps for baseball next year. However, just because a school can, doesn't mean they will. This is where it affects the high school class of 2020.

Additionally, the MLB announced it has the right to shorten its draft from 40 rounds to as little as 5. After the draft, I'd expect to see more players than usual return to school. Where I see most of the players affected is smaller schools (the majority of college baseball). Schools that do not have the budgetary strength of the LSU's and UCLA's of the world will face difficult decisions in their athletic departments over the next few years if they receive a high number of student-athletes who accept the eligibility extension.

There are a lot of greedy folks in summer/travel baseball that is for sure.
If there is any opening or chance to play and cash in with these tournaments then they will. With that said, I am not a fan of big or more government at all, but I would almost have to think there has to be sort of an "open for business" edict put out by the Supreme Leader for events like these to be a go.

I dont trust the organizers one bit to do what is in the best interest of the kids or the sport.

First off, I hope the boys have summer ball. You only get to play for so long and then you grow up! This current situation will be that story they tell their future grandkids about. Now regarding baseball, at least travel ball I just don't see it happening especially out of state tournaments or any tournaments in which kids have to stay in hotels. I want to play they want to play but I just don't see the government or states just saying "all is well" go about your business just like that. Everything in time will open back up but it will have to be systematically not all at once.

I dont trust the organizers one bit to do what is in the best interest of the kids or the sport.

Unfortunately, that's how I feel about it too.

There is some talk though of ACME baseball allowing this years seniors to play. I am not sure very many would even WANT to, but that would be an option if spring sports are cancelled.

Unfortunately, that's how I feel about it too.

There is some talk though of ACME baseball allowing this years seniors to play. I am not sure very many would even WANT to, but that would be an option if spring sports are cancelled.
I had not heard that yet, but I concur I am not sure how many would even want to do so.

WHen I see these youth tournament directors playing in driving rainstorms, weather in the 30s and wind with WC in the 20's, and lightening "not close enough" and continue to play so they dont get behind I have zero belief they would ever do what is best for the players. I am for less, not more, govt intervention in our lives but I would not trust them one bit.

There are a lot of greedy folks in summer/travel baseball that is for sure.
If there is any opening or chance to play and cash in with these tournaments then they will. With that said, I am not a fan of big or more government at all, but I would almost have to think there has to be sort of an "open for business" edict put out by the Supreme Leader for events like these to be a go.

It's not up to you to trust them. You trust the summer program you are a part of. The summer program you are a part of then has to pick the tournaments and "organizers" they trust.

There are money grabbers out there 100% for tournaments, you just have to hope who you are investing your money into (Summer Program) is making a wise investment themselves with where they go with your kids.

I am thinking that the high school season will happen in May in Ohio. Travel Ball will happen in June. It all depends on the states where the tourneys are scheduled. As far the shutdown. Watch the incremental numbers. In the past four days Ohio has leveled off. if that keeps up and we start seeing a drop, then we know we are making progress. TheVOICE gets mixed up with junior high and high school age kids. If you are paying big bucks for the junior high teams, all I can say is that you don't have too. It is super important the 16U, 17U and 18u get seen this summer if you want to play at the next level. I still see the Nashville and Lakepoint tourneys happening. MLB has done some interesting things with the draft, not the least of which is spreading out the payouts for the next three years. The big D1 programs will have some of their draft eligible players return because the bonuses are going to be spread out. MLB is also reducing the number of minor league teams so the draft is going to be smaller moving forward. My kid is going JUCO and they told him as far as they are concerned nothing has changed.

I am thinking that the high school season will happen in May in Ohio. Travel Ball will happen in June. It all depends on the states where the tourneys are scheduled. As far the shutdown. Watch the incremental numbers. In the past four days Ohio has leveled off. if that keeps up and we start seeing a drop, then we know we are making progress. TheVOICE gets mixed up with junior high and high school age kids. If you are paying big bucks for the junior high teams, all I can say is that you don't have too. It is super important the 16U, 17U and 18u get seen this summer if you want to play at the next level. I still see the Nashville and Lakepoint tourneys happening. MLB has done some interesting things with the draft, not the least of which is spreading out the payouts for the next three years. The big D1 programs will have some of their draft eligible players return because the bonuses are going to be spread out. MLB is also reducing the number of minor league teams so the draft is going to be smaller moving forward. My kid is going JUCO and they told him as far as they are concerned nothing has changed.

If this had happened last year when my kid was a junior, there is no way I would let high school ball infringe upon summer ball. It's for fun and neighborhood and friendship before player development, exposure, and competition level. This year, it is hard to see great value in a HS season a few weeks long for another junior if he is pushing himself to a high level. Reps, and little more. Just a last hurrah for seniors, I guess.

If anyone thinks we're playing spring sports, or summer for that matter......

"I wish I could give you hope about your summer, but the truth is if the curve peaks in May - it will be a slow process to get to the end of the curve." --- Governor Mike DeWine via Twitter

Most travel baseball early season tournaments for April are sending out e-mails and notices that they are cancelled. Look for most May 14u and under travel ball tournaments to be cancelled also.

If anyone thinks we're playing spring sports, or summer for that matter......

"I wish I could give you hope about your summer, but the truth is if the curve peaks in May - it will be a slow process to get to the end of the curve." --- Governor Mike DeWine via Twitter
Their model is bereft of timely accurate data. They have admitted as much. If things stay shut down in May, you will an economic crisis that will make Covid seem small by comparison.. Think about it, the state and local governments are furloughing and laying off employees. That does not even happen in depressions. My point is that school and sports will be the last thing to worry about. Eating and shelter will take a priority.

Their model is bereft of timely accurate data. They have admitted as much. If things stay shut down in May, you will an economic crisis that will make Covid seem small by comparison.. Think about it, the state and local governments are furloughing and laying off employees. That does not even happen in depressions. My point is that school and sports will be the last thing to worry about. Eating and shelter will take a priority.

I agree 100% with you on the data end of this. The feel good people, I call them the "White Coaters", are in love with the PR machine that has been created.

DeWine has made it clear that he's all about saving lives on his watch, regardless the effect it has on the economy, He doesn't want a big number attached to his legacy.

When this is all said and done and the collateral damage is being dealt with, he'll be on his farm with Fran and those suffering the after effects will be on their own.

If this had happened last year when my kid was a junior, there is no way I would let high school ball infringe upon summer ball. It's for fun and neighborhood and friendship before player development, exposure, and competition level. This year, it is hard to see great value in a HS season a few weeks long for another junior if he is pushing himself to a high level. Reps, and little more. Just a last hurrah for seniors, I guess.

I think you have the right idea but keep in mind that the NCAA just announced they are extending the dead period for recruiting until the end of May. A lot of college coaches haven't really expressed too much optimism that they're going to allow recruiting this summer, which kind of negates the benefits of a lot of summer programs. Also, a lot of summer ball is riding on what other states choose to do in regards to their shutdowns/attendance allowance/etc. For example, if Indiana is shut down in June and Ohio has opened up, then anyone that had plans to go to Grand Park has to change them. If Ohio opens up and other states don't, then one of the main attractions of summer baseball becomes negated with teams being unable to travel out of state for tournaments. At that point, you might as well just have high school baseball in the summer and push summer ball into the late summer/early fall.

$8/day? How about a full tourny pass for lets say $20 and $15 for kids.....
SOunds like a bargain!

It’s my understanding that the “Gate Fee” is 6-8$ per Adult per day. The variance depends on “type of event”. I have no idea if these Tournaments offer a Family Plan at the Gate or not.

It’s my understanding that the “Gate Fee” is 6-8$ per Adult per day. The variance depends on “type of event”. I have no idea if these Tournaments offer a Family Plan at the Gate or not.
I get the irony and disgust but these fees are pretty common around the country. 50.00 for a week in Ga. Covers at least 7 games.

I think you have the right idea but keep in mind that the NCAA just announced they are extending the dead period for recruiting until the end of May. A lot of college coaches haven't really expressed too much optimism that they're going to allow recruiting this summer, which kind of negates the benefits of a lot of summer programs. Also, a lot of summer ball is riding on what other states choose to do in regards to their shutdowns/attendance allowance/etc. For example, if Indiana is shut down in June and Ohio has opened up, then anyone that had plans to go to Grand Park has to change them. If Ohio opens up and other states don't, then one of the main attractions of summer baseball becomes negated with teams being unable to travel out of state for tournaments. At that point, you might as well just have high school baseball in the summer and push summer ball into the late summer/early fall.
No offense to Indiana but the three biggest states are Tenn and Ga and Florida in the fall.. The campuses may be closed in the summer but I can see the NCAA letting coaches travel to Tourneys. 16 and 17 year olds are not going to want to play school ball into July.

No offense to Indiana but the three biggest states are Tenn and Ga and Florida in the fall.. The campuses may be closed in the summer but I can see the NCAA letting coaches travel to Tourneys. 16 and 17 year olds are not going to want to play school ball into July.
Oh no I agree with you that Tennessee and Georgia are bigger for recruiting in the summer than Indiana but I was just using grand park as an example bc it's closer to Ohio. But the same could be said about places like Lake Point and East Cobb in Georgia as well as the Music City Classic in Tennessee as far as the summer goes. Suppose the states of Indiana, Tennessee, and Georgia are shut down for all of June & July and Ohio is the only one that's open. Plus, I wouldn't be so sure that 16-17 yr olds don't wanna play school ball in July given the current circumstances.

I get the irony and disgust but these fees are pretty common around the country. 50.00 for a week in Ga. Covers at least 7 games.
$7 game if you make it all the way is an absolute STEAL, the BARGAIN of the century.

I am not naive, they charge it because they can. Does not make it right to keep on fleecing the players families but the tourny directors need to make their big bucks on the shoulders of 14 year olds........

WOuld love if Licking COunty fan had a kid playing in these things so we can hear his rants on the subjecT

How much are clean rest rooms and a fully stocked concession stand worth when you are stuck at a facility for 3 or 4 days? Priceless, in my opinion.
Yeah, those nice, fully stocked concession stands to gouge you even more!
We started to bring a cooler last summer to save money, a lot of it, at the weekly fleecings.
With that said, i was surprised last summer, at a tourny that had 13 and below, served alcohol in the concession stand!