Summer and travel ball ?

Any word on when the Health department will let everyone know if the high school fields will be open on May 26th ?

How many 100+ pitch outings will we see that first weekend? It'll be like the first week of HS baseball in Ohio...

Though, let's hope that intelligence and player safety overrule "the chance to win" mentality.

From the Rumor Mill of Athletic Directors some area AD's are banding together and not opening any facilities until ALL FACILITIES/SPORTS ARE OPEN. AN "ALL OR NOTHING ATTITUDE". School Lawyers are afraid of law suits.

How many 100+ pitch outings will we see that first weekend? It'll be like the first week of HS baseball in Ohio...

Though, let's hope that intelligence and player safety overrule "the chance to win" mentality.
First weekend? How about the first day!

Opening Night Under the Lights. Click on the registered teams. There are plenty of teams, including high school.

From the Rumor Mill of Athletic Directors some area AD's are banding together and not opening any facilities until ALL FACILITIES/SPORTS ARE OPEN. AN "ALL OR NOTHING ATTITUDE". School Lawyers are afraid of law suits.

Wait....you're trying to tell me that school lawyers are involved in this? And that schools are afraid of legal action?.....but I've been saying that for months and was blasted by people on here. Told no lawyers were involved.

I can see how this would surly - dang near with out a doubt prove that DeWine's office is not communicating with OHSAA, at least not beforehand.

But why would you say it wouldn't happened? - I can think one reason is the contact period for spring now gets a little weird.
Or would it just have been better communicated? Or is there a conflict between what this allows with travel/club and OHSAA's desire?
Those are all sincere, honest & open questions. I do take issue with some things - mostly at the district level but the OHSAA in large provides very good service and Jerry is a super likable guy that I believe to be sincere.
You just seemed to be plugged in so I am asking.

Looks like they are finally going to engage the OHSAA. (bolded part is my emphasis)

"We're going to begin to coordinate with them on protocols for training in preparation for school-sanctioned sports," Husted said.

And Kentucky's not even scheduled to be back until June 15 but several of them are signed up. Kinda ridiculous if ask me
Kentucky teams have stated they are looking for games in Ohio to play until they can play home games. This goes back to how I've felt individual states doing lock down measures is pretty pointless seeing that each state isn't an island. Just and imaginary line that anyone can cross at anytime.

Kentucky teams have stated they are looking for games in Ohio to play until they can play home games. This goes back to how I've felt individual states doing lock down measures is pretty pointless seeing that each state isn't an island. Just and imaginary line that anyone can cross at anytime.

You knew it was going to happen. My U11 team needs ABs before they head south for some Holiday Tourneys. Thats where the scouts are going to be. Never too early.

And no one from the OHSAA or a Member School was asked to participate on the youth and adult sports advisory group. The pure fact that many of those organizations represented used school facilities warrants their participation. (No mention of anyone associated with officiating any of the sports as well)

It's also a reason why the goofy baseball and softball "best practices" and mandates are in place.

Last edited:
First weekend? How about the first day!

Opening Night Under the Lights. Click on the registered teams. There are plenty of teams, including high school.

Curious to see all the Guidelines for this Tournament. The guy that runs MVP Tournaments supposedly added his own restrictions for slow pitch events at Kolping Park but not sure about youth events or other venues. The slow pitch restrictions were No Spectators, Participants can only bring in Bat,Glove and Hand Sanitizer. No Bat Bags, only 2 people inside concession stand at a time. If these procedures are in place for Youth Tournaments this will be an interesting event to say the least.

Curious to see all the Guidelines for this Tournament. The guy that runs MVP Tournaments supposedly added his own restrictions for slow pitch events at Kolping Park but not sure about youth events or other venues. The slow pitch restrictions were No Spectators, Participants can only bring in Bat,Glove and Hand Sanitizer. No Bat Bags, only 2 people inside concession stand at a time. If these procedures are in place for Youth Tournaments this will be an interesting event to say the least.

I tried searching that site for them and couldn't find them.

I tried searching that site for them and couldn't find them.

From what I hear, the Kolping Park Facebook page was taken down or whatever its called after the Slow Pitch folks blasted him for Cancelling Free Slow Pitch Leagues. I’m hearing from few Umpire friends that this particular Tournament starts at 12:01am on 5/26.. I’m gonna bet also that Spectators will be permitted for youth games so they can collect a Gate Fee. If you notice,the Tournament is Free and that means pay Umpires at the Plate. Gate Fee and Concessions only way to possibly make any $,especially once the light switch is turned On. The guy that runs MVP Tournaments and Kolping Park is well known for being pretty crooked and the list of people/places he owes $ to is really really long.

Uh, if a guy is at a tourney with a radar gun, he is either 1) a coach....or 2) a scout lol. And you don't have to go to Nashville or a "big tourney" to have coaches there. You can go to any of the 50 fields used by the Cincy Flames on the weekend of their 15u-17u tourneys and there are coaches there. Yes you will know them.....most college coaches have a polo on with their school logo. Pro scouts are very, very noticeable. The college coaches all know them and if one walks up it's like a watching the ice cream truck come around the corner :) It's a mad rush for everyone to run over and say hello and shake hands.
I know all about the flames tourneys. I have attended them for the last 3 years on many weekends and they are fine competitive tournaments. But with all due respect, they are nothing like the Perfect game tournaments in Nashville and Lake Point Georgia. They just are not in terms of the number and types of scouts that are at all the games. These tournaments are in late June and early July and are also well attended by MLB representatives and If they have those tournaments this year in any way, sense or form, you will have those scouts there.

You make me laugh Basewimp ....You should not make comments as the one you directed at Brian112 and myself unless you truly know who you are talking too and their experiences. I cannot speak for him, but I can promise you where I have been and where I go far exceeds any tournament you have or will experience.
Another big man or woman, hiding behind a keyboard insulting someone they don't know talking about something they don't about. You don't know me and you don't know my experience. So don't insult me. If you have something substantive to answer my claim, like "I have been to Lake Point in the last few years and I don't think it will be like that this year because …" I might be willing to listen to your argument but instead you hide behind your keyboard name calling other adults names that you would not be caught dead doing in public...sober.

Another big man or woman, hiding behind a keyboard insulting someone they don't know talking about something they don't about. You don't know me and you don't know my experience. So don't insult me. If you have something substantive to answer my claim, like "I have been to Lake Point in the last few years and I don't think it will be like that this year because …" I might be willing to listen to your argument but instead you hide behind your keyboard name calling other adults names that you would not be caught dead doing in public...sober.

I fail to see where he used any name calling. I've said you don't come across as the smartest fellow. I have no problem with doing it in public if we ever end up at the same place? My stance that there won't be scouts unless MLB or NCAA don't change their regulations.

Just curious...what are you going to do someone who points out how ridiculous your comments are? Are you one of those cool dad's that threaten to fight other fans?

I fail to see where he used any name calling. I've said you don't come across as the smartest fellow. I have no problem with doing it in public if we ever end up at the same place? My stance that there won't be scouts unless MLB or NCAA don't change their regulations.

Just curious...what are you going to do someone who points out how ridiculous your comments are? Are you one of those cool dad's that threaten to fight other fans?
Really, reread his post. Starting with my name on his post. On the other hand, I know what kind of guy you are: One that gets some perverse pleasure being negative about every post on this thread because for some reason, you don't want baseball to be played this summer. My stance is that at these tournaments whether they are assistant coaches, MLB scouts or just good old fashioned "bird dogs", people will be there to watch potential D1 college and MLB prospects. My comments are not really that ridiculous, as it seems that we are going to start playing ball on May 26th and you said it would never happen and looks like schools are going to be given the leeway to use their outdoor facilities and you said that wasn't going to happen, so I will take my chances with the scouts.

Really, reread his post. Starting with my name on his post. On the other hand, I know what kind of guy you are: One that gets some perverse pleasure being negative about every post on this thread because for some reason, you don't want baseball to be played this summer. My stance is that at these tournaments whether they are assistant coaches, MLB scouts or just good old fashioned "bird dogs", people will be there to watch potential D1 college and MLB prospects. My comments are not really that ridiculous, as it seems that we are going to start playing ball on May 26th and you said it would never happen and looks like schools are going to be given the leeway to use their outdoor facilities and you said that wasn't going to happen, so I will take my chances with the scouts.

Not really, I want to watch the kids play. I'm afraid adults like you will ruin things because they don't think the rules apply to them. Thankfully college coaches and MLB scouts are waiting for the OK. Their compliance will most likely be rewarded is some way. DII is talking about allowing on campus visits. Still not allowing staff to leave campus but it's a start.

And what leads you to believe school facilities may be open? The apparent fact that OHSAA hasn't been involved in any discussions with the state. Which is wild.

Not really, I want to watch the kids play. I'm afraid adults like you will ruin things because they don't think the rules apply to them. Thankfully college coaches and MLB scouts are waiting for the OK. Their compliance will most likely be rewarded is some way. DII is talking about allowing on campus visits. Still not allowing staff to leave campus but it's a start.

And what leads you to believe school facilities may be open? The apparent fact that OHSAA hasn't been involved in any discussions with the state. Which is wild.
The OHSAA took its lead from the Governor and rightfully so. The governor is letting baseball and softball activities to resume. The Public Health Department closed the facilities not the OHSAA. The PHD works for the governor. Why would they not modify their orders to reflect the governor's adjustments as the facilities were paid for by the taxpayers. Depending on what the PHD says (maybe on a county by county basis), I can see the outdoor facilities being made available. It would be strange for some public facilities to be made available (city fields) and others to not be made available (high school fields). I will agree with you on one point, there should have been sport specific bodies involved in drawing up the regulations. as some of them do not seem to be very practical.

It just feels like things were thrown together to make it nearly impossible for some local leagues/schools to properly maintain the orders. The cost for the masks alone is a large unaccounted for expense. Then who's job is it to make sure everyone follows? After the first weekend of patio seating we've all seen the pics, and the threats to suspend liquor licenses for those that don't follow. One person a shift is now responsible for social distancing. Do they try to say eat field needs that supervision? Who do you report things to? Call the police? They want no part of it. And they're ultimately changing the way the game's played. I would argue that they've made it more dangerous for a physical injury. Not really sure what happens with the virus portion of playing. I hope ultimately that all stay safe and have some fun. And I really hope people can control themselves so they don't just pull the rug out on things.

It's still my prediction that schools won't allow their facilities to be used until fall sports. I wouldn't be to surprised to hear rumors that superintendents actually push for this. Publicly they say they're doing everything they can to get kids on the field. Realistically it's an unknown risk and their main concern is getting kids in the classrooms this fall. I'm still baffled they're just now getting the OHSAA involved

I don't disagree with you on throwing things together. It seems like they are a half step late on everything and instead of planning for everything early and picking and choosing the correct course of action, they rush their decisions and then don't have the specifics fully developed. I had a very long a loud discussion with my daughter about this. I am more of an intent person, she says the people need specifics. As far as what happened this past weekend, I see adjustments being made by everybody and people will work it out. As far as baseball goes, there seems to be a group of baseball people trying to get some things adjusted as far as the masks go , as that does not seem practical at all and looking at other states that have opened up, I don't see the numbers spiking.. so maybe things will work out. My son's 18u team just contacted him and they plan on doing small group practices at first early next week (pitchers and catchers only for example) and bring the whole team together later next week , play a couple games the weekend of the 30 and 31 and then really get after it the first week/weekend in June. Their first tourney isn't until the 2nd week of June.

And the way you've described coming back is more on what I'm thinking. I don't have date for people. They say May 26 then I'm guess it's a thought out date. The way you talk about the last weekend of May it sounds like you'll be having more of a scrimmage situation. Actually get to your "competitive" part of the schedule in a few weeks. Again, no problems. You've given the kids a chance to get acclimated a bit. Can we agree having a U11 team signed up for a tourney on 5/26 is ridiculous