Suburban League Tournament

dion

The Suburban League is still the state's premier wrestling conference even though this year it's dominated by only two teams. Aurora is still solid but going through some rebuilding after being a dominant Div 2 program, and Highland and Nordonia are also very solid teams. Copley is also rebuilding but they may boast that best pound for pound wrestler in the state. Should be a great tournament this coming Saturday @ Medina Highland.

I see Brecksville with 7 champs, Wadsworth with 5, and Highland with 2. Even though Brecksville easily handled Wadsworth in a dual I see the tournament champ as a tossup.

Last edited:

Format is pools to start and then mini-bracket for each pool place to finish (yes the third and fourth place finishers in pool get a semifinal and final).

Brecksville and Wadsworth are the teams to beat. Highland, Nordonia, and Stow are next in line. Aurora has a couple solid individuals. Copley has one really good individual (I can't call him the best wrestler in the state given that he's a 106 and not a mega-star)

106: Yarbrough (Copley), Seacrist (Brecksville); Luke Green (Aurora), if healthy; Frantz (Wadsworth)
113: Johnny Green (Aurora), Haffner/Stanley (Brecksville), Kolt Mellon (Wadsworth)
120: Stanley/Cayden Pluhar (Brecksville); Vazsonyi (Medina Highland), if healthy; Dinwiddie (Wadsworth); Mellino (Nordonia); Long (Barberton); Mason (N. Royalton)
126: Jace Jett (Brecksville), Kade Mellon (Wadsworth), Davis (Stow)
132: Joy (Wadsworth), Kaden Jett (Brecksville), Niko Giatis (Medina Highland), Miller (Nordonia)
138: Chase Pluhar (Brecksville), Zisi Giatis (Medina Highland), Wasco (N. Royalton), Brasiel (Aurora), Bentley (Stow), A.J. Jardine (Wadsworth)
144: Herman (Brecksville), Petite (Nordonia), Humphrys (Wadsworth), Bizjak (Aurora), Kaprowski (N. Royalton), T. Reed (Stow)
150: Hill (Medina Highland), Kerin (Wadsworth), Zambounis (Brecksville), Hamad (Nordonia)
157: Earnest (Wadsworth), Perrine (Nordonia), Rizzo (Brecksville), Crutchley (Medina Highland), Kaminski (Stow)
165: Ridgley (Nordonia), Gallo (Brecksville), Barlett (Wadsworth)
175: Luke Vanadia (Brecksville), Olszko (Nordonia), Schaefer (Wadsworth), Sandborn (N. Royalton), J.T. Hill (Stow), Matt Haney (Medina Highland), Potok (Tallmadge)
190: Grimm (Wadsworth), McPherson (Brecksville), Daugherty (Tallmadge), Gorman (Aurora)
215: Max Vanadia (Brecksville), Stiles (Medina Highland), Gregory (Stow), Blackburn (Wadsworth), Lefeld (Nordonia)
285: Ries (Wadsworth), Andrews (Barberton), German (Brecksville), Paukovits (N. Royalton)

Copley has one really good individual (I can't call him the best wrestler in the state given that he's a 106 and not a mega-star)
Wow! No one is asking you to anoint him the best wrestler in the state, or a "mega star", but being rated #3 in the nation (regardless of the weight class) I would think merits putting him in the conversation.

Wow! No one is asking you to anoint him the best wrestler in the state, or a "mega star", but being rated #3 in the nation (regardless of the weight class) I would think merits putting him in the conversation.
But you don't see him winning his own League Championship 🤔

The Suburban League is still the state's premier wrestling conference even though this year it's dominated by only two teams. Aurora is still solid but going through some rebuilding after being a dominant Div 2 program, and Highland and Nordonia are also very solid teams. Copley is also rebuilding but they may boast that best pound for pound wrestler in the state. Should be a great tournament this coming Saturday @ Medina Highland.

I see Brecksville with 7 champs, Wadsworth with 5, and Highland with 2. Even though Brecksville easily handled Wadsworth in a dual I see the tournament champ as a tossup.
☝️

He is outstanding—but where in the heck are you seeing him P4P #3???
Quick glance at Flo and Matscouts does not have him in the P4P rankings at all—they never have 106’s in the top P4P rankings.
They do have him ranked within the 106 weight class on Flo at #12 and MatScouts at #7.

He is outstanding—but where in the heck are you seeing him P4P #3???
Quick glance at Flo and Matscouts does not have him in the P4P rankings at all—they never have 106’s in the top P4P rankings.
They do have him ranked within the 106 weight class on Flo at #12 and MatScouts at #7.
SB Live Sports National High School Wrestling Rankings as of Thursday 1/19/23

Opinions Differ

Last edited:
SB Live Sports National High School Wrestling Rankings as of Thursday 1/19/23

Opinions Differ
#3 at 106. I see what you mean now. When you said "regardless of weight class", I thought you meant he was P4P #3. That would have been very questionable.

Been around wrestling most of my life but am still a little foggy on seeding for a 16 man scramble (format 2). Evidently the only time seeding is done will be for the pool because it looks like the pairings to begin brackets are already determined. So I assume seeds #1, #2, #3, and #4 are put into pools with the assumption of them all winning their individual pools so that #1 meets #4 and #2 meets #3 when the brackets begin. Correct?

Been around wrestling most of my life but am still a little foggy on seeding for a 16 man scramble (format 2). Evidently the only time seeding is done will be for the pool because it looks like the pairings to begin brackets are already determined. So I assume seeds #1, #2, #3, and #4 are put into pools with the assumption of them all winning their individual pools so that #1 meets #4 and #2 meets #3 when the brackets begin. Correct?

That's normally how I've seen it done.

Pool-to-bracket type events seed at the pool stage. Assuming there are four pools and eight seeds:
A = 1, 8
B = 2, 7
C = 3, 6
D = 4, 5

Then in the case of the SL Tournament, each of the four brackets will have semifinals with A facing D and B facing C, since each bracket represents a place-finish during the pool stage.

He’s a junior wrestling mostly freshman/sophomore’s. Ohl beat him handily. Same age pairing.

He’s a junior wrestling mostly freshman/sophomore’s. Ohl beat him handily. Same age pairing.
1) Strange, for some reason I thought we were discussing THIS season.
2) I wasn't aware that a wrestler had any control over who comes on the mat to challenge him.
3) By saying that a wrestler ranked #3 in the nation at his weight class can't be among those discussed as best in the state just because of the weight class seems rather dogmatic. And I haven't seen anyone post that they think he's the best.
4) For some reason your post comes across rather angry/bitter. Might I suggest a cocktail or maybe a valium.

1) Strange, for some reason I thought we were discussing THIS season.
2) I wasn't aware that a wrestler had any control over who comes on the mat to challenge him.
3) By saying that a wrestler ranked #3 in the nation at his weight class can't be among those discussed as best in the state just because of the weight class seems rather dogmatic. And I haven't seen anyone post that they think he's the best.
4) For some reason your post comes across rather angry/bitter. Might I suggest a cocktail or maybe a valium.

Hes the best in the weight in Ohio this year in my mind without any doubt. However in discussing national rankings i do feel that the Ohl match in the state semis is relevant. I dont have a dog in this fight. I do feel that 106 is light in talent this year, last year i thought it was pretty solid with talent-Jordan, Ohl, Yarb, Limbert, Green, Smith

Hes the best in the weight in Ohio this year in my mind without any doubt. However in discussing national rankings i do feel that the Ohl match in the state semis is relevant. I dont have a dog in this fight. I do feel that 106 is light in talent this year, last year i thought it was pretty solid with talent-Jordan, Ohl, Yarb, Limbert, Green, Smith
Every match to some degree is relevant to evaluating a wrestler. The points you make are relevant. However, again this is a NEW season. I do know as a freshman Yarbrough was very light. How much weight he put on last year I have no idea. When he was pinned in the semis last year was he healthy? I do not know. I do know that he had to forfeit his remaining matches. Obviously, there are people out there that feel the recognition that wrestlers receive this season should include what they've done in the past, fine. Agreeing to disagree is what mature people do. However, to argue his national ranking, which is what this entire discussion seems to be centered on, should be done with the people who do the ranking, NOT my using it as a correlation.

Every match to some degree is relevant to evaluating a wrestler. The points you make are relevant. However, again this is a NEW season. I do know as a freshman Yarbrough was very light. How much weight he put on last year I have no idea. When he was pinned in the semis last year was he healthy? I do not know. I do know that he had to forfeit his remaining matches. Obviously, there are people out there that feel the recognition that wrestlers receive this season should include what they've done in the past, fine. Agreeing to disagree is what mature people do. However, to argue his national ranking, which is what this entire discussion seems to be centered on, should be done with the people who do the ranking, NOT my using it as a correlation.
The kid has been a winner his whole life. Has dominated on the national circuit for a decade. 4x Fargo finalist, 2x champ, UWW Cadet placer, undefeated national duals, u14 National Champ, 2x OHSAA placer (giving up 10-20lbs), and as much of a lock to win a state title this year (and next) as there is in Ohio. All that, and I don't think he's even close to reaching his potential. What else he would need to do to impress the expert talent evaluators on this site?

For all the sh* t talk on Yqppi about holdbacks, if ever there was a kid that could have used an extra year to grow, it's him.

Last edited:
Ohl beat him handily. Same age pairing.
Maybe to give you a little better perspective, when I officiated the OAC Jr Hi State Tournament in 2019 Yarbrough won the 78 lb championship. That might give you an idea of his size in 7th grade. By the way, also in that weight class the same year were Kaiyon McKinney #1 @ 113, Kade Brown #5 @ 132, Charles Curtis #5 @ 138, Ryan Bennett #3 @ 138, and Abe Hermes #3 @ 113. There was no OAC in 2020 because of covid so no results to share. I retired from officiating in 2020. I did hear that even as a sophomore last season he was giving up weight. Just FWIW.

Last edited:
Maybe to give you a little better perspective, when I officiated the OAC Jr Hi State Tournament in 2019 Yarbrough won the 78 lb championship. That might give you an idea of his size in 7th grade. By the way, also in that weight class the same year were Kaiyon McKinney #1 @ 113, Kade Brown #5 @ 132, Charles Curtis #5 @ 138, Ryan Bennett #3 @ 138, and Abe Hermes #3 @ 113. There was no OAC in 2020 because of covid so no results to share. I retired from officiating in 2020. I did hear that even as a sophomore last season he was giving up weight. Just FWIW.
He weighed in freshman year state tourney around 95lbs, won Fargo that year u16 @88lbs.

Last edited: