Suburban League - American

Revere looks in the driver's seat. They will host Copley, Highland, Cuyahoga Falls, and Tallmadge the second time around. Having a two game lead and home court for the most competitive teams should give them a huge advantage.

The race is on for second place with a hail mary for a chance at first place.

Thoughts on the overall league? Revere is in the driver's seat and a good but not dominant team. Does this league make any noise in the play-offs?

Kenston 64, Aurora 52 (OT)
Cuyahoga Falls 49, Garfield 40
Avon 51, Highland 42
Austintown Fitch 65, Copley 44
Solon 63, Kent Roosevelt 40

Last edited:
A little bit of a down year. I would say that no coaches are on hot seats. Revere and Cuyahoga Falls are both trending up. Tallmadge, Aurora, Kent Roosevelt, and Copley all have first-year coaches. Highland is steady. Barberton is the one struggling but has put together multiple games that come up just short. Shooting/scoring seems to be their Achilles' heel.

I expect a couple of teams to make a run but winning the district will be a tall task for most.

I expected more out of tallmadge this year for sure, they got the the talent to win the league easily. They just aren’t putting it together. Injuries also hurting them big time.

I expected more out of tallmadge this year for sure, they got the the talent to win the league easily. They just aren’t putting it together. Injuries also hurting them big time.
Hopefully better days ahead for Tallmadge. Their JV team seems to be having one of their better seasons in recent memory. Perhaps that can carryover into next season.

I don't think any coaches are on the hot seat as said above, frankly I am not sure some of the schools care about wins or losses which is fine if that is how they want to play it. Tallmadge seems to play less than inspired defense which may be their Achilles heel. I did think they would be better but there seems to be not a ton of development over the last 2-3 years of the older kids so the performance seems stagnant. Maybe they will figure it out. Revere does seem to be reloading (will be tough to reach where they have been recently -- that was a heck of a run) but they are well coached and fundamental -- that is a great thing. The Falls is moving in the right direction. Highland is solid from what I have seen and others are just inconsistent. Will be an interesting 3-4 weeks heading into seeding the disctict.

Updated Standings through 1/19:

Revere (7-0) (11-2)
Copley (5-2) (6-6)
Highland (4-3) (7-6)
Cuyahoga Falls (4-3) (7-7)
Tallmadge (3-3) (6-5)
Kent Roosevelt (3-4) (5-9)
Aurora (1-5) (1-7)
Barberton (0-7) (0-14)

Hopefully better days ahead for Tallmadge. Their JV team seems to be having one of their better seasons in recent memory. Perhaps that can carryover into next season.
The jv team is doing well because(my opinion) is that they are playing all juniors. Personally, I think that the problemwith tallmadge is poor coaching. This is just my opinion but I think it is shared by others.

I am not trying to ruffle any feather, just giving my opinion.

Revere 79, Cuyahoga Falls 44
Highland 60, Tallmadge 58

I assume that Barberton and Kent Roosevelt played. Also, assume Aurora and Copley played. Not sure if anyone attended either game as no score is being reported anywhere.

Amazing that it was easier to get a score in 1984 than it is in 2023!! Bring back Channel 23 news!

Finally found them all:
Revere 79, Cuyahoga Falls 44
Highland 60, Tallmadge 58
Kent Roosevelt 55, Barberton 43
Copley 70, Aurora 60

Thanks @pcbuck

Updated standings:
Revere (8-0) (12-2)
Copley (6-2) (7-6)
Highland (5-3) (8-6)
Cuyahoga Falls (4-4) (7-8)
Kent Roosevelt (4-4) (6-9)
Tallmadge (3-4) (6-6)
Aurora (1-6) (1-8)
Barberton (0-8) (0-15)

The jv team is doing well because(my opinion) is that they are playing all juniors. Personally, I think that the problemwith tallmadge is poor coaching. This is just my opinion but I think it is shared by others.

I am not trying to ruffle any feather, just giving my opinion.
This maybe proves a point stated earlier in the thread. No player development over the last 2-3 years and juniors still playing JV.

This maybe proves a point stated earlier in the thread. No player development over the last 2-3 years and juniors still playing JV.
I did not see that comment earlier but I couldn"t agree more. I have watched quite a few of the games( both varsity and jv) and I have never seen so many kids that do not seem to get any better. Not to mention kids thatm are put in a position that they are not suited for.

I have heard quite a few rumors regarding the program,not just for this year but for past years and they are not good. Since they are at this time just rumors to me I am nota going to elaborate. I think that if you watch the games and pay attention to them you will see what I mean.

Tallmadge is OK this year. They play hard and stay competitive. What they don't have is three point shooters. Tallmadge always had one or two great three point shooters except this year. Its a down league that the Devils could have won with just one solid shooter. Revere is going to run away with it with an average team.

Tallmadge is OK this year. They play hard and stay competitive. What they don't have is three point shooters. Tallmadge always had one or two great three point shooters except this year. Its a down league that the Devils could have won with just one solid shooter. Revere is going to run away with it with an average team.
If 8-0 and 12-2 is just average what is considered a good team. I am only asking because there are not many high school teams that I really follow.

This is Revere's non-conference schedule

Revere 67, Youngstown Academy for Urban Scholars 25
Revere 69, Woodridge 60
Wooster 71, Revere 63
Revere 69, Bay 52
Elyria 79, Revere 72
Revere 71, Brookside 68

Our Lady of the Elms not available?

The SLA is losing almost 2/3rds of their non-league games. 16-29 if my math is right.

If 8-0 and 12-2 is just average what is considered a good team. I am only asking because there are not many high school teams that I really follow.
I didn't take the note about Revere as critical but rather practical -- they have set themselves apart it the conference, and they are good in a conference that is so-so this year. Outside of the conference they may struggle to make a run in the play-offs (they are not as good as the Revere teams 3-4 years ago that were excellent -- and would struggle to stay competitive with the earlier teams in my opinion). With that said, they continue to have a very good coach and are fundamental which probably is why they have taken control of the SLA.

Tonight's games:

Tallmadge 60, Revere 58 (Revere's 1st loss in the league)
Cuyahoga Falls 68, Aurora 47
Highland 56, Barberton 33
Copley 55, Kent Roosevelt 48

Updated Standings:

Code:
Revere         (8-1) (12-3)
Copley         (7-2) (8-6)
Highland       (6-3) (9-6)
Cuyahoga Falls (5-4) (8-8)
Tallmadge      (4-4) (7-6)
Kent Roosevelt (4-5) (6-10)
Aurora         (1-7) (1-10)
Barberton      (0-9) (0-16)

Game results for all 8 teams can be found here:

What in the world has happened to B-Town? A once proud tradition seems to be down the toilet with LITTLE hope to
ever return to their glory days. I believe they went 20+ years without a losing season.

I've watched Barberton a couple of times this season. They played very hard and contended for every rebound, pass, and dribble. Their weakness was scoring. Outside shots weren't falling the inside shots just seemed to barely miss. Looking at their point totals, it wouldn't surprise me if this was how their whole season has gone. Not sure how many Seniors they play but it could be a quick turnaround with at least one scorer emerging.

With Tallmadge's upset win over Revere last night, the league title is back in play. Copley is in the best position as they are trailing by one game and still have a game with Revere. All the other teams are going to need help.

Games the rest of this week:

1/27/23 Revere at Barberton
1/27/23 Aurora at Tallmadge
1/27/23 Copley at Cuyahoga Falls
1/27/23 Highland at Kent Roosevelt
1/28/23 Jackson at Aurora

I've watched Barberton a couple of times this season. They played very hard and contended for every rebound, pass, and dribble. Their weakness was scoring. Outside shots weren't falling the inside shots just seemed to barely miss. Looking at their point totals, it wouldn't surprise me if this was how their whole season has gone. Not sure how many Seniors they play but it could be a quick turnaround with at least one scorer emerging.
Agree with this. When I saw them, hustle and desire was there -- but they just were very poor shooting, even good looks. That is hard to overcome, but those kids try hard. The league is interesting. I think the top half can all beat each other on any given night. Still not sure there is a district champ in the group but at least the league games are mostly close.

Tonight's scores:

Kent Roosevelt 55, Highland 53
Revere 62, Barberton 49
Tallmadge 54, Aurora 53
Cuyahoga Falls 58, Copley 54

Updated Standings:

Code:
Revere         (9-1) (13-3)
Copley         (7-3) (8-7)
Highland       (6-4) (9-7)
Cuyahoga Falls (6-4) (9-8)
Tallmadge      (5-4) (8-6)