Struthers football 2020 thread

Spread All Day

I figure now is a good time to start this thread. New coach. New era.

John Bayuk takes the reigns from Curt Kuntz. Along with John, his father Jeff comes over from JFK presumably to coach the offense. The cats lose a lot of talent. But they under performed last season going 6-4 and then losing their first round playoff game. The cats are coming off of 3/4 playoff years with all first round exits.

Aiden Hall is the best player returning, has d 1 interest at the moment.

2020 schedule
@lakeside
@crestwood
Vs West Branch
@Hubbard
Vs Lakeview
Vs Jefferson
@Niles
Vs girard
@South range
Vs Poland

I Predict around 6-7 wins. With 7 wins the cats might be able to get in the playoffs.

First 2 should be wins barring something crazy, Wes branch returns their QB but not sure what else, cats should start 3-0 heading into Hubbard, if they get past Hubbard there’s no reason the cats can’t finish with At least 7 wins.

Hall will be the most dynamic player in the conference again, but it is yet to be known if bayuk will use him at Qb or throw I’m all over, backfield should be Marshall, slocum and Cam, could be a wildcard to see if the really good freshmen plays and where if so. The biggest concern will be the lines and the defense.

Not as much talent as last season, but some really good skill position players

Greenamaier(not sure on the spelling) is coming over with Bayuk to Struthers. I don't know if he is going to end up as the OC or if he will just be sn O-line coach. As an OC he can get a little stuck in his ways at times and won't open it up very much. The last couple of year he seemed to regress in his play calling a bit. He a fantastic line coach though, one of the best.

Struthers wins at least 7 games next year.....Jaws, I disagree with you on Greenie. Know your personnel and their limitations. Greenie understood that. You never knew what you were going to get out of that one position. Run the ball, ball control, flip the field, play great defense and special teams. Turnovers and three and outs kill, short fields and momentum changes. Weapons weren't the issue offensively, getting them the ball with consistency was. Greenie can flat out coach Oline and Bayuk/Greenie relationship will work wonders at Struthers. The horse is in the stable there waiting for his freshman year. I wish Struthers well.

Struthers has to rebuild their OL. So does Hubbard, Niles, Girard, and South Range. I'm not sure about Lakeview and Jefferson. But just about everyone will have questions about their offensive lines early on. I think Poland is the only team with the majority of their OL coming back.

Struthers has to rebuild their OL. So does Hubbard, Niles, Girard, and South Range. I'm not sure about Lakeview and Jefferson. But just about everyone will have questions about their offensive lines early on. I think Poland is the only team with the majority of their OL coming back.
Big yikes for us then if that’s the case. Thought Poland was majority seniors too.

Big yikes for us then if that’s the case. Thought Poland was majority seniors too.

Poland's OL last year...
LT: Kellgren - JR
LG: Yaskulka - SR
C: Williams - JR
RG: Feliciano - SR
RT: Frank - SO
Their tight-ends were Voitus and Kountz, both Seniors. And their starting running backs were Ellis, Rutana, and Alessi... all Seniors.

Returning for Poland on offense is...
QB: Fulton - JR... also Todd - SR
WR: Centofanti - SR
And Kellgren, Williams, and Frank on the OL.
Caudle also played a lot at RB down the stretch before the playoffs, while Alessi was nursing his hamstring.

I'm not sure who the guards will be this year... maybe Sabrin and Solic. At TE, maybe the other Tucker twin and/or Pagano. Gessler might play more offense this year. Caudle should be the featured RB. Probably Mrakovich/Parker at FB.
I don't think they have the horses in the backfield to run the stack I every play again this year. They're going to need someone to step up at WR across from Centofanti.
All said... unless Caudle has a season reminiscent of Pete Perry in 1999, Fulton will need to run the ball a lot more to keep the offense on the field... that passing game was brutal.

Since I'm on the subject...
The only starters Poland has back on defense are Eichert at DT, Mrakovich at LB, and Centofanti and Gessler in the secondary.

The kicker, Kushner, is also gone. Poland always has good kickers, though.

Poland will still be one of the favorites to win the NE8. And they're still a playoff team. But they won't be anywhere near as dominant as they were in 2019.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Poland had better tackles then guards last season, one of the only teams that will pull a guard In our conference but their mid direction works, poland will be solid, losing those backs especially Alessi and Rutana is going to be very hard to replace, if Poland is forced to throw more then usual they will be in trouble

Chaney, Cleveland Heights, West Geauga, Mentor Lake Catholic, and Akron SVSM are all looking for games in week 2. Any of them would make more sense than Crestwood.

Unfortunately, I doubt the AD is open to rescheduling at all this year. So the OOC is what it is. Weeks 1 and 3 should open up next year... but aside from Streetsboro in week 3, there aren't many appealing matchups posted for weeks 1 and 3 of 2021 yet.

Chaney would have been a no brainer for me, plus the game is at crest wood
Chaney, Cleveland Heights, West Geauga, Mentor Lake Catholic, and Akron SVSM are all looking for games in week 2. Any of them would make more sense than Crestwood.

Unfortunately, I doubt the AD is open to rescheduling at all this year. So the OOC is what it is. Weeks 1 and 3 should open up next year... but aside from Streetsboro in week 3, there aren't many appealing matchups posted for weeks 1 and 3 of 2021 yet.

Either he moved in or you are close with the kid because they haven’t had a player of the caliber you talk about in years. Unless he played somewhere else in middle school

I don’t usually follow Struthers well, but who are they graduating? Anyone on the line? Names/numbers?

Yeah... they'll lose a lot on the lines.

OT/DT: #55 Marcel Walker - 6'3/293
OG: #56 Jake Vlosich - 6'2/296
OG: #57 Joe Lucente - 6'0/252
OT: #70 Kyler Morgan - 6'3/307
TE/DE: Brandan Serrano - 6'2/217
NG: #77 Kyree Morgan - 6'0/303
DE: #40 Declan Sekol - 6'1/217

Basically their entire O and D lines. The only one returning is their center, #54 Zach Felleti. He's started since he was a Sophomore. Cats graduate a lot of big guys with experience. They also graduate a lot of skill...

QB/WR/RB/FS: #5 Ty Hawkins
RB/SS/OLB: #6 Adrian Brown
WR/TE: #89 Billy Opritza
LB: #34 Robert Tomko
LB: #17 Jordan Sanchez
CB: #13 Noah Patti
S: #16 Giovani Farina

Cats will only have 4 starters back on offense and 4 on defense. Returning for Struthers is...

QB/WR/DB/P/KR: #1 Aiden Hall - SR
WR/RB/CB/PR: #28 Josh Marshall - JR
FB/LB: #21 Alex Cummings - SR
C: #54 Zach Felleti - SR
LB/DE: #11 Gino Calabrette - JR
K: #7 Alex Gryzb - SO

Some reserves that are expected to step up...

OT: #53 Keimon Jones - SR
OG/DT: #78 Josh Lowe - SR
OG/DT: #58 Anthony Mudryk - JR
OG: #75 Dom Carcelli - SR
RB: #8 Cam Bryant - JR
DT: #50 Nate Marshall - SR
Also expected to play this year is Boardman transfer Aidan Slocum, who would play WR/RB/DB.

Some upcoming Sophomores to watch...

WR/S: #14 Chaz Ekoniak
S: #2 Niko Farina
TE/DE: #9 Brady Clyde
FB/LB: #4 Tyler Sanchez
TE/LB: #32 Tyler Blasko

Struthers does graduate a lot. But the cupboard is far from empty. Hall wil be one of the favorites to win the 400 meter dash in Columbus this Spring, and was electric at QB over the 2nd half of the 2019 season. Marshall had a solid Sophomore season. Like Hall, he made a lot of plays in all 3 phases of the game. Slocum would be a nice addition, he also has really good speed. Cummings is a really good football player. Jones and Bryant played well in mop up duty. Calabrette had a really good Sophomore year on defense. Gryzb had a very good Freshman year kicking extra points, but his leg needs to get stronger so he can kick field goals and kick it deeper on kickoffs.

The biggest question marks are on the lines... Bayuk and Greenamyer will need to coach them up. But there's enough talent on the team to win at least 6 games with just their skill players.

Cats also have a Freshman that could probably start a few games and should play a lot this year... I'm not sure what his name is though. Is it the Braham kid, or is he going into 8th grade?

Cats also have a Freshman that could probably start a few games and should play a lot this year... I'm not sure what his name is though. Is it the Braham kid, or is he going into 8th grade?
Anthony Carter, has the potential to be one of struthers greats, was unstoppable las season in 8th grade, the whole class is solid but he’s the main reason they went undefeated. Braham is going to be very very good as well but he will
Only be a 8th header this season. Slocum will be huge for the cats on both sides of the ball, boardman was going to use him a ton last year before he came to struthers

Anthony Carter, has the potential to be one of struthers greats, was unstoppable las season in 8th grade, the whole class is solid but he’s the main reason they went undefeated. Braham is going to be very very good as well but he will
Only be a 8th header this season. Slocum will be huge for the cats on both sides of the ball, boardman was going to use him a ton last year before he came to struthers

Thanks... I do remember that name now that you mention it. That'll probably be the last time I forget it. lol

Rumor has it there is some things happening in Struthersland. It was mentioned that Hall may not play football to concentrate on track, apparently he has some decent offers. If true that could really affect the Wildcats season. Has anyone else heard anything? There could also be another potential big blow coming but I will hold my tongue for now to see how things play out.

Rumor has it there is some things happening in Struthersland. It was mentioned that Hall may not play football to concentrate on track, apparently he has some decent offers. If true that could really affect the Wildcats season. Has anyone else heard anything? There could also be another potential big blow coming but I will hold my tongue for now to see how things play out.
He’s playing, not sure if it’s gonna be at QB or not tho

If Hall DONT play they’re going 2-8.

I could see Hall being like the QB Hubbard had a few years ago when they made their run with Girard. Not much of a thrower but if you can get a few QB Power/Zone Read plays in there, it's difficult to defend.

I could see Hall being like the QB Hubbard had a few years ago when they made their run with Girard. Not much of a thrower but if you can get a few QB Power/Zone Read plays in there, it's difficult to defend.
He can throw it a lot better then that kid tho, just depends on the direction the offense is going

Hopefully these "rumours" are just that.
The schedule is manageable enough as it is.
But without Hall to run the show I think Spread's prediction of 2-8 might be right on.
I'd like to see Bayuk have a nice start as coach of the Wildcats ....... and hopefully stay there for a while. :rolleyes: