Streaming TV services

Still have DirecTV and have no plans to get rid of it. My whole family shares Netflix and Amazon accounts. I hardly use netflix at all but I like amazon for their superior movie selection. Occasionally I'll buy the HBO or showtime package thru amazon to watch shows like Chernobyl. DirecTV is still the best way to watch sports IMO.

Question: How are the commercials on youtube TV? What drives me insane with the streaming services is how they show the same 3-4 commercials hundreds and hundreds of times. I tried NHL.tv and they literally showed the exact same two commercials on repeat over every single commercial break. I couldn't make it through a game and cancelled the subscription in the second intermission.

from my experience, this only happens during live broadcasts like sports, not much in normal television.

I've gotten used to it. With Youtube TV you can also pause and DVR so you can get around them if you really wanted.

from my experience, this only happens during live broadcasts like sports, not much in normal television.

I've gotten used to it. With Youtube TV you can also pause and DVR so you can get around them if you really wanted.
For live sports they should just play the normal feed. Otherwise it's completely unwatchable.

Spectrum just got rid of all the Fox College Sports channels..... I am done with them after the football season.

Earlier in this thread, I said I had Playstation Vue. Forget that. About Wednesday, I couldn't get on. I looked online and people all over the eastern half of USA were complaining about the same thing. I gave it a couple days then cancelled and went to Youtube TV. Happy with that decision so far.

Looks like we'll be switching to YouTube TV earlier than we thought. Logged into my PlayStation Vue account tonight to see this:

CNN article today: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/tech/sony-playstation-vue-tr nd/index.html

YouTube tv gets you about 60 local and cable channels. Most of the big ones. Currently $54/mo
You are the third to confirm that YouTube TV is legit. I've heard that elsewhere. I've been researching for little while now and after the New Year we are making the switch. I will continue to go through my cable provider for internet and then get YouTube TV. My family shares Netflix, HBO, and Hulu.

The only reason we kept cable for so long is because the local cable outfit has a HS sports station but the price is outweighing the benefits at this point.

When we did our YouTube TV trial, it was a simple, clean TV guide. It didn't lag. The interface was quick and responsive (can't say the same about Vue). And although there aren't a lot of channels with YouTube TV compared to other services/packages, it has just about all the channels we need. Adn now that YouTube TV is back on Fire Stick, we will be switching over as soon as the Christmas season is over, since Hallmark is the ONE channel YouTube doesn't have, and my wife would not survive. Haha!

Just got the email that my DTV(ATT) Now price is going from $50-60 effective tomorrow. Thinking about the Spectrum TV Stream for 24.99.

You are the third to confirm that YouTube TV is legit. I've heard that elsewhere. I've been researching for little while now and after the New Year we are making the switch. I will continue to go through my cable provider for internet and then get YouTube TV. My family shares Netflix, HBO, and Hulu.

The only reason we kept cable for so long is because the local cable outfit has a HS sports station but the price is outweighing the benefits at this point.

I also saw on the Youtube TV app yesterday that you can now add Showtime and other premium channels to your Youtube TV subscription for an extra cost, just as you would with cable.

This is off topic, and I'm sure is stating the obvious, but for those of you not happy with your internet service, look into a new router. I wasn't happy with Spectrum, especially since we stream so much these days as well as other wifi devices in the house (did a check recently, I have 33 devices connected to the wifi!), but then it occured to me that my router was pushing 8 years old. Way outdated technology. Got a new one about a month ago, and practically no issues at all.

My wife and I signed up for a free trial of Hulu last night. Overall it was pretty good. Very good video quality. Didn't lag like Vue always does. Pretty quick interface to use. The Guide still needs some work, but it's better than the last time we tried it.

The one thing I HATE is not being able to fast-forward through commercials WHEN WATCHING SOMETHING ON MY DVR!!! I know I could spend $10 more per month for this "premium feature," but seriously, that might be a deal-breaker. It was extremely painful last night trying to watch something on DVR. Extremely. Everything else was good. Once this trial is up, it's one more trial for YouTube TV, then we make a decision.

Just got the email that my DTV(ATT) Now price is going from $50-60 effective tomorrow. Thinking about the Spectrum TV Stream for 24.99.

Yep. Cancelled mine last night. I'm going to do the Spectrum streaming thing where you get all locals and 10 channels of your choosing for $25.

Yep. Cancelled mine last night. I'm going to do the Spectrum streaming thing where you get all locals and 10 channels of your choosing for $25.
Heads up...It's actually $31. They charge you a $6 "local programming fee" that shows up on your new services notification, but nowhere during the signup process.

I called and bitched about it, but the unmotivated CS rep was little help. Gonna call back and see if they'll roll back the $5 internet increase from this year to counter it.

Heads up...It's actually $31. They charge you a $6 "local programming fee" that shows up on your new services notification, but nowhere during the signup process.

I called and bitched about it, but the unmotivated CS rep was little help. Gonna call back and see if they'll roll back the $5 internet increase from this year to counter it.

Thanks. I got them to roll back my internet and phone from $89 to $69 last night.

My wife and I signed up for a free trial of Hulu last night. Overall it was pretty good. Very good video quality. Didn't lag like Vue always does. Pretty quick interface to use. The Guide still needs some work, but it's better than the last time we tried it.

The one thing I HATE is not being able to fast-forward through commercials WHEN WATCHING SOMETHING ON MY DVR!!! I know I could spend $10 more per month for this "premium feature," but seriously, that might be a deal-breaker. It was extremely painful last night trying to watch something on DVR. Extremely. Everything else was good. Once this trial is up, it's one more trial for YouTube TV, then we make a decision.

You can fast forward through most shows on YouTube tv. Depends on the network.

I went to the local Spectrum office today. They tried to upsell me but couldn't explain to how $25=$45. Special Spectrum math. I may do some of the free trials. They all suck. I just wish I had an alternative to Spectrum for high speed internet.

This is off topic, and I'm sure is stating the obvious, but for those of you not happy with your internet service, look into a new router. I wasn't happy with Spectrum, especially since we stream so much these days as well as other wifi devices in the house (did a check recently, I have 33 devices connected to the wifi!), but then it occured to me that my router was pushing 8 years old. Way outdated technology. Got a new one about a month ago, and practically no issues at all.
That’s good advice. I recommend people look into mesh WiFi systems from Google/Nest, Eero, or Netgear. You’ll spend a little more but the performance increase is worth it.

Last week, I got the new Nest WiFi from Google. I now have two access points in my house so there aren’t any areas without coverage. I’m also getting incredible speeds. I pay Spectrum for 400Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Now when I run speed tests, I routinely get 450-460 down and 22-23 up. On my old WiFi router I was lucky to get 200 Mbps down.

We have cancelled our Playstation Vue (it gets discontinued in January or February anyway), and have officially signed up for YouTube TV after doing another round of free trials with YouTuve TV and Hulu Live.

We have cancelled our Playstation Vue (it gets discontinued in January or February anyway), and have officially signed up for YouTube TV after doing another round of free trials with YouTuve TV and Hulu Live.

I am going to ride Youtube TV until the inevitable price increase hits or the end of football season, whichever comes first. Then I will switch to Sling with an antenna.