Streaming TV services

eastside_purple

For those that ditched cable for streaming....what streaming TV services are you using?

I originally used PlayStation Vue, but it was terribly glitchy. Now using YouTube tv which has a much better interface and seems a lot more reliable.

I have ATT TVNow, previously DirecTVNow. Price keeps going up. Service is okay. Its primary advantage is that it isn't affiliated with Time Warner or Spectrum.

I'll probably wait until someone has a nice intro deal and switch.

I use Playstation Vue. It has had some problems with streams loading, but seems to be better. However the change they made to the guide has me pretty ticked. Have read that the youtube guide is the same though.

I also have tubi, pluto and a couple other free services for old movies.

Have youtube TV for sports and locals and Netflix, Vudu (free) and Amazon for movies and binging. Still paying way less than I was before I cut the cord.

For those that ditched cable for streaming....what streaming TV services are you using?

I originally used PlayStation Vue, but it was terribly glitchy. Now using YouTube tv which has a much better interface and seems a lot more reliable.

How long now, and what does it replace for you ?

Netflix
Hulu
HBO Now
Amazon Prime Video
ESPN+

All paid legit, or borrowed passwords ?

methinks yer likely a pirate......

tumblr_osefluCbqN1tkb2p0o1_400.gifv

Last edited:
What do you pay for web access, and to whom ?
$70 to Ma Bell my total bill including WiFi is around $110. I was paying like $220 for just DTV a year ago. I share youtubetv with a friend and he pays half, a dude my wife works with has Vudu and shares with us at no cost

$70 to Ma Bell my total bill including WiFi is around $110. I was paying like $220 for just DTV a year ago. I share youtubetv with a friend and he pays half, a dude my wife works with has Vudu and shares with us at no cost

You too!?!

giphy.gif

I just suspect that when they get enough of us a la carte'ing it, they'll pull the plug on sharing and get really strict with user IDs.

We currently have PlayStation Vue. It lags a little more than I'd like, but only on our oldest Fire Stick. The other two (newer) Fire Sticks are flawless and fast.

I personally want YouTube TV instead, but we do not like the Roku, and since YouTube TV isn't on the Fire Stick, we're out of luck. Our smart TV in our basement has YouTube TV app built in, but we don't always go down there to watch TV. PS Vue it is for now.

We tried a lot of streaming services before deciding on PS Vue - Hulu, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc.. PS Vue and YouTube TV were our top two. Hulu third, but we didn't like the layout and always found it difficult to find the shows we wanted.

We currently have PlayStation Vue. It lags a little more than I'd like, but only on our oldest Fire Stick. The other two (newer) Fire Sticks are flawless and fast.

I personally want YouTube TV instead, but we do not like the Roku, and since YouTube TV isn't on the Fire Stick, we're out of luck. Our smart TV in our basement has YouTube TV app built in, but we don't always go down there to watch TV. PS Vue it is for now.

We tried a lot of streaming services before deciding on PS Vue - Hulu, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc.. PS Vue and YouTube TV were our top two. Hulu third, but we didn't like the layout and always found it difficult to find the shows we wanted.

Huh, I got fed up with the video lag and freezes during live football on vue. It’s bad enough having a 5 min delay to real time, but to have it constantly freeze during games was the final straw. So far no issues with YouTube tv.

We have Netflix and Prime access too. I was mostly curious about the live tv/cable replacement types of streaming services. We don’t use prime much. Do you find it worth digging into?
To be honest Amazon is probably the one we use least, and by a pretty large margin too. I'd say it's worth digging into if you already have it. They've got some decent shows and movies.

How long now, and what does it replace for you ?
Replaced Cincinnati Bell Cable. About a year; but lived with no cable replacement except Netflix for about 6 months prior. Probably reduced monthly bill about $50. I didn’t really do it for savings though. I was just fed up with TW and Cincy Bell. Still forced into using CincyBell for Internet, but it’s bearable only giving them $55/mo vs $200.

I tried to get Spectrum to give me a $500 credit but it did not work.... I pretty much stated that if they are willing to pay up to $500 to buy out a competitors contract then why not pay me $500 to keep me as a customer. I am planning on leaving after football season and go with youtube TV and then return for football season at an introductory price....

Why do you not like Roku?

Still have DirecTV and have no plans to get rid of it. My whole family shares Netflix and Amazon accounts. I hardly use netflix at all but I like amazon for their superior movie selection. Occasionally I'll buy the HBO or showtime package thru amazon to watch shows like Chernobyl. DirecTV is still the best way to watch sports IMO.

Question: How are the commercials on youtube TV? What drives me insane with the streaming services is how they show the same 3-4 commercials hundreds and hundreds of times. I tried NHL.tv and they literally showed the exact same two commercials on repeat over every single commercial break. I couldn't make it through a game and cancelled the subscription in the second intermission.

Question: How are the commercials on youtube TV? What drives me insane with the streaming services is how they show the same 3-4 commercials hundreds and hundreds of times. I tried NHL.tv and they literally showed the exact same two commercials on repeat over every single commercial break. I couldn't make it through a game and cancelled the subscription in the second intermission.
My wife and I had the same complaint about Hulu during our free trial and never signed up for it as a result.

YouTube TV is different because it’s essentially a cable system delivered over the Internet so most commercials are part of the feed coming from the network. There are some commercials that come from YTTV. These actually just started in the past 6 months. (Previously they used the “This program is at a commercial” screen you may have seen on ESPN3 streams.) Now YTTV is showing real TV commercials in those spots. Since the advertising is coming via Google/YouTube and are theoretically tailored to your interests they’re not as bad as Hulu or NHL.TV.

Replaced Cincinnati Bell Cable. About a year; but lived with no cable replacement except Netflix for about 6 months prior. Probably reduced monthly bill about $50. I didn’t really do it for savings though. I was just fed up with TW and Cincy Bell. Still forced into using CincyBell for Internet, but it’s bearable only giving them $55/mo vs $200.

What kind of speed are you getting? I want to give CB a shot, but they've been pretty slow running the fiber up here.