Steel Valley Conference

Oh, you don't travel now? 4 of the teams are in stark and the other are in Y-town area. And I would guess you travel that way already for some of your games.

I thought you talking about sports, except football. Yes, we travel. By the way, the other Stark schools are beginning to schedule the Tigers in other sports

Why not just put Niles and Alliance it this league and we can all pretend it is the 60's again?
Nothing against Niles, and Alliance being in this, but just don't feel they fit at this time. If they could get their programs back up to the old glory years, then no doubt I would add them

Nothing against Niles, and Alliance being in this, but just don't feel they fit at this time. If they could get their programs back up to the old glory years, then no doubt I would add them
First, I was joking but If all that happens maybe we can have the OHSAA go back to just voting for the state champions again too?

I know McKinley would probably not leave the Fed, but I would love to see this conference for football only at least.
Warren Harding
Massillon
Canton McKinley
Steubenville
Boardman
Austintown Fitch
All good competitive games here

In the late 2000's, Harding & Massillon both got rejected from joining the Fed.. Had that not been the case, they could've easily split it into two tiers...

East
Austintown Fitch
Boardman
Canton McKinley
Massillon
Warren Harding

West
Glenoak
Hoover
Lake
Massillon Jackson
Massillon Perry

Green wasn't in the Fed back then, but had the above scenario happened, it'd probably still be around to this day.

In the late 2000's, Harding & Massillon both got rejected from joining the Fed.. Had that not been the case, they could've easily split it into two tiers...

East
Austintown Fitch
Boardman
Canton McKinley
Massillon
Warren Harding

West
Glenoak
Hoover
Lake
Massillon Jackson
Massillon Perry

Green wasn't in the Fed back then, but had the above scenario happened, it'd probably still be around to this day.
It could have grown in the recent years by moving McKinley and Massillon to the west and then put Green, Lake and Louisville in the east. The Big 12

If the right people would be in charge of this Big 12 conference administration, the money that could be generated by tournaments, television ( take advantage of Y-Towns 3 TV stations) and other attractions from a conference made up of schools with all their passion for all sports, would be able to provide the $$ to all schools and eliminate travel cost and have more $$ for their sport programs and not be a strain on the school budget. This conference would be the envy of the state and more schools will want to be a part of or copy this conference.

It could have grown in the recent years by moving McKinley and Massillon to the west and then put Green, Lake and Louisville in the east. The Big 12

If we did a true geographical split with all 12, then Austintown Fitch, Boardman, Glenoak, Lake, Louisville, and Warren Harding would be in the East while McKinley, Green, Hoover, Jackson, Massillon, and Perry formed the West. I had Fitch, Boardman, Canton McKinley, Massillon, and Harding in the same tier because most of them already play each other every year and I doubt that Boardman would have an issue playing against Massillon. It'd definitely make for a great halftime show.

East
Austintown Fitch
Boardman
Canton McKinley
Massillon
Warren Harding

West
Glenoak
Hoover
Lake
Massillon Jackson
Massillon Perry

So true Worm!

In the current state of the Youngstown area, wouldn't it make sense financially for Warren Harding, Boardman , and Austintown Fitch to join with Mooney and Ursuline and the two city schools in the new SVC conference. Fitch already plays Mooney and Warren and I think they played East a year ago. Why not play Ursuline and Chaney as well. Its not like anyone og these schools is in the race for a state championship anytime soon which would require a better schedule. why not play local teams with a natural rivalry and take it easy on the parents and non-=football sports traveling to stark or Cuyahoga county for gods sake.

In the current state of the Youngstown area, wouldn't it make sense financially for Warren Harding, Boardman , and Austintown Fitch to join with Mooney and Ursuline and the two city schools in the new SVC conference. Fitch already plays Mooney and Warren and I think they played East a year ago. Why not play Ursuline and Chaney as well. Its not like anyone og these schools is in the race for a state championship anytime soon which would require a better schedule. why not play local teams with a natural rivalry and take it easy on the parents and non-=football sports traveling to stark or Cuyahoga county for gods sake.

If people did what made sense in this area this area would be whole lot different.

To be honest Boardman is probably as good off as anyone in the current upper end of schools for football scheduling. They currently play all 4 former SVC rivals plus Canfield, Poland And Howland. That’s 7 local opponents. I’m frankly good with that and play a few good D1/D2 schools out of the area to fill out the schedule.

East bailed on Boardman’s schedule 2 years ago when Boardman was fine opening the year with them every year. Are we really sure East and Chaney want this conference or will it change in 2-3 years again if they go 0-6 or 1-5 a few times? And we are back to scrambling to find replacement games again because they don’t want to play.

East and Chaney have no use being on Boardman's schedule. They bring none of the competitiveness that Boardman's better teams need and about as much fan support as the out of town teams that visit. Boardman needs at least 1-2 games against elite competition, then the 7 locals and a gimme. Boardman can pretty much make the playoffs winning 5-6 games most season, even last year they were just 1 L2 game out of making it at 4-6 had they beaten Canfield. lol

East and Chaney have no use being on Boardman's schedule. They bring none of the competitiveness that Boardman's better teams need and about as much fan support as the out of town teams that visit. Boardman needs at least 1-2 games against elite competition, then the 7 locals and a gimme. Boardman can pretty much make the playoffs winning 5-6 games most season, even last year they were just 1 L2 game out of making it at 4-6 had they beaten Canfield. lol
Do you really think a team with a 4-6 or 5-5 record belong in the playoffs? I know in the past Ursuline and/or Mooney got in their very low divisions but it was from playing one or two Div 1 schools and beating them.

It reminds me of college football where you’re eligible for a bowl game IF you don’t have a losing record. $$$$$ and everyone gets a trophy?.

Do you really think a team with a 4-6 or 5-5 record belong in the playoffs? I know in the past Ursuline and/or Mooney got in their very low divisions but it was from playing one or two Div 1 schools and beating them.

It reminds me of college football where you’re eligible for a bowl game IF you don’t have a losing record. $$$$$ and everyone gets a trophy?.

Of course I don't, and I think the low barrier to entry in D2 has sort of made Ignazio's job safer than it should have been. He had an excellent team for example in 2017 that albeit suffered some key injuries fell flat after a hot start. Even as a shell of how it started that season they were up 9 at Massillon with less than 10 minutes to play. Win that game and they're probably in the state semis. Heck that comeback probably sparked the next 2 Tiger seasons more than anything else.

If Ignazio doesn't have a winning season he should be gone. Look at basketball and how Birch built a team that was the laughingstock of the Fed when he took over and turned it into a strong program. I think Ignazio was good for bringing back some energy that was lost under D'Eramo but his game day coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

That all being said, being able to play a tough schedule and still make the playoffs is a luxury that should be taken advantage of. I'd rather go 6-4 but know I could win the region rather than 9-1 and lose in the first round because I didn't play anyone good.

I see where Boardman might be worried about city schools bailing but it would be good for the the time being. The days of Boardman, Ursuline, Monney, and Fitch being among the elite of high school football are over. The central part of the state dominates public schools with huge population increase and the power catholics do their thing and Youngstown schools have fallen behind with population dropping like a rock. Join a local conference and stop the bus driving madness for the kids and parents. Get rid of petty difference over past recruiting issue please.

Of course I don't, and I think the low barrier to entry in D2 has sort of made Ignazio's job safer than it should have been. He had an excellent team for example in 2017 that albeit suffered some key injuries fell flat after a hot start. Even as a shell of how it started that season they were up 9 at Massillon with less than 10 minutes to play. Win that game and they're probably in the state semis. Heck that comeback probably sparked the next 2 Tiger seasons more than anything else.

If Ignazio doesn't have a winning season he should be gone. Look at basketball and how Birch built a team that was the laughingstock of the Fed when he took over and turned it into a strong program. I think Ignazio was good for bringing back some energy that was lost under D'Eramo but his game day coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

That all being said, being able to play a tough schedule and still make the playoffs is a luxury that should be taken advantage of. I'd rather go 6-4 but know I could win the region rather than 9-1 and lose in the first round because I didn't play anyone good.
Agreed on the above. Boardman likely would’ve been a state final 4 team in 2017 if they had held on in 4Q vs Massillon and that was with a 6-4 team.

Perry has a few final 4 appearances recently and were probably marginally better than a few recent Boardman teams that went 6-4. Fitch, WGH and Boardman aren’t that far off from being teams that can make it to the semis or title game in D2 if they commit efforts to winning. Hoban and Massillon are not the norm in D-2 and it’s unknown whether they will stay at their current level past another year or 2. They may still be very good but the recent years have been as strong as they’ve been in awhile.

Agreed on the above. Boardman likely would’ve been a state final 4 team in 2017 if they had held on in 4Q vs Massillon and that was with a 6-4 team.

Perry has a few final 4 appearances recently and were probably marginally better than a few recent Boardman teams that went 6-4. Fitch, WGH and Boardman aren’t that far off from being teams that can make it to the semis or title game in D2 if they commit efforts to winning. Hoban and Massillon are not the norm in D-2 and it’s unknown whether they will stay at their current level past another year or 2. They may still be very good but the recent years have been as strong as they’ve been in awhile.
It is a missed opportunity that week one wasn't Boardman vs Massillon, both had open dates. If you want to raise the bar for your program you have to play the teams that are the top. Still like to see Stubenville, Warren, Fitch, Massillion and Boardman in a football only league.

It is a missed opportunity that week one wasn't Boardman vs Massillon, both had open dates. If you want to raise the bar for your program you have to play the teams that are the top. Still like to see Stubenville, Warren, Fitch, Massillion and Boardman in a football only league.
I agree. Steubenville needs to play some Ohio teams on their schedule

I agree. Steubenville needs to play some Ohio teams on their schedule
these 5 schools joining together gives them week 6-10 all booked (Massillion plays some other Stark County school in week 10) Weeks 1-5 are a lot easier to schedule and you could still schedule your remaining local schools during those weeks. A week 10 Harding vs Big Red could become a great rival.

these 5 schools joining together gives them week 6-10 all booked (Massillion plays some other Stark County school in week 10) Weeks 1-5 are a lot easier to schedule and you could still schedule your remaining local schools during those weeks. A week 10 Harding vs Big Red could become a great rival.
Maybe a 4-10 schedule might be a little better. Gives a better flexibility in scheduling, and also since these would be mostly high competitive games between these teams, they might want a gimme game scheduled in between.