Steaks

oskar

How do you prefer to do yours?

My typical routine is to do them in an iron skillet sitting directly on hot coals in the Weber kettle grill. 1 1/2" thick New York strip sitting out for an hour and a half. After about a half hour I pat them dry, then season generously with Penzeys Mignonette pepper, Kosher salt and wait another hour. I use just a little (like 1 tsp) of olive oil in the iron skillet and sear for 3 minutes each side. After that I bring them in and put them in a preheated oven (300 F), in a preheated baking dish with melted garlic butter. I flop the steak on both sides to get the butter on both sides and only go for two minutes. Follow that with a five minute rest. That typically gets my steak at my preferred medium-rare. I'll saute mushrooms in butter while the steak rests.

I have just recently tried going directly on a hot bed of lump charcoal caveman style with the oven finish in butter and was quite pleased with the outcome. I will most certainly do this more often now that I have tried it.

What you you guys do? What do you like?

My typical routine is to do them in an iron skillet sitting directly on hot coals in the Weber kettle grill. 1 1/2" thick New York strip sitting out for an hour and a half.

I think you lost me. Do you mean you marinate them for an hour and a half before they go on the grill? Cooking on the grill for 90 minutes, then for a few minutes searing and a few minutes backing sounds like they'd be a bit overly done.

I like the sound of all the ingredients you mentioned. I haven't done one myself for a while, but I used garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian salad dressing for my fixings.

I heat up one of those copper fry pans, with bacon grease. I throw the steak in there. I turn it. I eat it. Tastes like steak.

I do have a small metal hot dog grill. In summer I set in on bricks on the porch table. I will get dried wood from nearby park. Saw it into pieces and put in grill. Set them on fire. When they are coals I put rack on top to heat. Cook steak. Takes awhile because there's not a lot of heat. Tastes like steak but doesn't smoke up the house.

NY Strip, Ribeye, or Filet.

Let them sit out for several hours (you want em at room temp) and I prefer Chicago Seasoning as a light rub.

Get grill piping hot. Throw em on for 4 minutes on one side. Roughly 3 minutes on the other.

Cut it with a spoon.

NY Strip is my favorite cut. Good flavor and decent price.

I salt heavily before cooking (let it sit out of fridge for a little while) then I reverse sear it (about 30 mins at 200 degrees in oven then sear it for a couple mins on very high heat in pan)

I was using olive oil for awhile but have recently started using a little lard instead. I throw some garlic into the pan and maybe a little pepper but that's it.

Follow guy on IG who does the all meat diet and he uses an otto wilder grill. Temp on those thing is 1500 degrees. Steaks look delicious. Unfortunately I think price on those is 1500 dollars

How do you prefer to do yours?

My typical routine is to do them in an iron skillet sitting directly on hot coals in the Weber kettle grill. 1 1/2" thick New York strip sitting out for an hour and a half. After about a half hour I pat them dry, then season generously with Penzeys Mignonette pepper, Kosher salt and wait another hour. I use just a little (like 1 tsp) of olive oil in the iron skillet and sear for 3 minutes each side. After that I bring them in and put them in a preheated oven (300 F), in a preheated baking dish with melted garlic butter. I flop the steak on both sides to get the butter on both sides and only go for two minutes. Follow that with a five minute rest. That typically gets my steak at my preferred medium-rare. I'll saute mushrooms in butter while the steak rests.

I have just recently tried going directly on a hot bed of lump charcoal caveman style with the oven finish in butter and was quite pleased with the outcome. I will most certainly do this more often now that I have tried it.

What you you guys do? What do you like?
I just sauted mushrooms for the first time recently and they were awesome. What kind of mushrooms do you use?

I just sauted mushrooms for the first time recently and they were awesome. What kind of mushrooms do you use?
My wife's palate isn't as adventurous as mine, so unfortunately I have to stick with white shrooms. It works ok and compliments rather than competes with the steak.

I think you lost me. Do you mean you marinate them for an hour and a half before they go on the grill? Cooking on the grill for 90 minutes, then for a few minutes searing and a few minutes backing sounds like they'd be a bit overly done.

I like the sound of all the ingredients you mentioned. I haven't done one myself for a while, but I used garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian salad dressing for my fixings.
They set out for an hour and a half to let them warm up a bit from refrigerator temp. An hour of that time is with the pepper and salt applied.

Check out Bobby Flay's recipe for porterhouse in a flat iron, Peter Luger style. I've done it twice and it's unbelievable