Status of National Trail Raceway/State Cross Country Meet?

Supertramp

I'm sure the apocalypse has made progress grind to a halt, but any news on NTR?

Last I heard at the CC clinic was that OHSAA was looking at Cedarville and Clark County, and trying to get out of the contract with NTR.

Hearing that it is going to be moved to Obetz in south Columbus

Obetz
Hamilton Township, OH

Obetz
Hamilton Township, OH
Finishtiming, have you also heard about this?

Obetz
Hamilton Township, OH

Looking at Google Earth images, I sure hope not.

I talked to someone who is part of the search committee for an alternate venue (or replacement venue for when the contract runs out if we don't get out of it early) and they had never even heard of it. For whatever that is worth.

Other than terrible access, no parking and nowhere to have a CC course, It seems perfect.
Just park at the impound lot/salvage yard across the street.

If they're looking around, good for them, but I have to think they can do better than Fortress Obetz (cool name, BTW).

Awesome, was no fan of Hebron
Are you sure you’ll be a fan of this place? Maybe I missed something when checking it out on google earth but am having a hard time seeing a viable cross country course, which is different than simply a course. I agree that Hebron wasn’t the gold standard, but the amount of pavement I see around this place...I’m worried. Hopefully my worries are unfounded.

I've reached out via PM to another poster who lives in that area and might have extra insight about the place b/c I'm not sure what I see in aerial photos is what the place actually looks like right now. We'll see if he tenders a response.

Anyone have some sort of course map? Maybe they haven't settled on a final layout.

Has there been a meet here before?

I talked to someone who is part of the search committee for an alternate venue (or replacement venue for when the contract runs out if we don't get out of it early) and they had never even heard of it. For whatever that is worth.
Would be interested to hear their thoughts now if you know them and can share.

I've reached out via PM to another poster who lives in that area and might have extra insight about the place b/c I'm not sure what I see in aerial photos is what the place actually looks like right now. We'll see if he tenders a response.
Hey, Mr. Slippery - thanks for the heads-up.

Actually, access is very good. The Fortress is easy to get to Take I-270 to the Alum Creek Dr/Obetz exit and go north for one mile, then turn left at the Obetz admin offices. The service drive will take you back to area and you'll easily see where to go and park by the stadium.

Paved parking is also very good. The current Google satellite shots are not updated. The dirt areas around the stadium in the picture have been paved since then. Looking at the overhead shot below, the area to the west and south of the stadium are the main paved lots, but there is still a lot of grass/dirt in the surrounding area for the runners, and for overflow parking. The area in general is very flat. The circuit around the complex itself (including ball diamonds and parking) is maybe 1.5 miles. There is a bit of a roll toward the east around the man-made ponds and such. Not sure if they would extend the course east toward the Obetz village offices.

I've no idea how the route will go. One possibility could be to have the exit/enter points to the stadium along the southeast corner and/or the north side. Enough grassy area there to build the route accordingly to minimize pavement time. When I ran CC 45 years ago, it was mostly on golf courses, lol. I'm sure OHSAA officials will work with the Fortress folks and be creative.

I realize not everyone will be thrilled with the site, but we locals will do our best to be good hosts to y'all, and I think you'll like the stadium facilities. Caveat: BRING BINOCULARS. The two scoreboards have nice video screens, but the digital readouts are tiny!

Fortress.jpg

Last edited:
Would be interested to hear their thoughts now if you know them and can share.

Currently I think they are kind of hurt, actually, and I don't blame them. They had no heads up that this was a possibility and no communication prior to the press release. They had visited sites, and potential sites, all across the state, documenting pros and cons and bringing an experienced cross country perspective.

This may be a great site when it's all said and done. I have a hard time seeing it right now, but I have never been there and can only glean information from Google Earth and Google Maps, so I will remain open. However, when you have certain invested people who are willing to give up their time and resources in an attempt to better our sport and better the experience for our athletes and then you treat them with little respect, that's highly disappointing.

It also shows it hosts a Zuchini Festival, so how could it not hold a XC meet!
You haven't lived until you've had a zucchini milk shake! Serioulsy, it's surprising how big the ZucchiniFest has gotten, pretty much fills that whole complex. I guess this year's festival is still tentative, with all of the social distancing, but it's planned for Labor Day Weekend this year, Friday thru Monday. If it does take place, all y'all 'r' invited!
I see a liquor store on the aerial map Zunardo provided. That has to be an improvement, no? ?
Yes, "Liquor Agency" sounds a bit more upscale than a carry-out, doesn't it? ;)

As far as food venues, Fortress has a couple of concession stand windows inside the facility with the usual suspects, hot dogs, nachos, etc. But they did bring in additional specialty food trucks for the football games they hosted last fall, I suspect they'll do the same for the meet. The nearest fast-food chains are on Alum creek on either side of I-270 - McD's, Wendy's. Chipotle, Arby's, KFC, and Donato's pizza.

Does anyone have the ability to superimpose the map of Scioto Downs with Fortress Obetz at the same scale for reference. Or at least show them side by side at the same scale?

Does anyone have the ability to superimpose the map of Scioto Downs with Fortress Obetz at the same scale for reference. Or at least show them side by side at the same scale?
Here's a quick and dirty comparison. Both shots at the same scale, hope it gives you some idea:

Fortress comp.jpg

SciotoDowns comp.jpg

So, Room wise, it looks like it can be done. It just looks like it is way spread out again like at National trails. The infield inside the track at SD looks to be 3-4 times the size of the stadium at Obetz. Not sure where all the parking is, but looks like a lot more than I thought if you include the parking at the Athletic Club. We will just have to see. I can't imagine that the people at the OHSAA that made this decision would purposefully choose a place that is worse and make their lives more difficult. I must admit that I'm skeptical, but optimistic.

So, Room wise, it looks like it can be done. It just looks like it is way spread out again like at National trails. The infield inside the track at SD looks to be 3-4 times the size of the stadium at Obetz. Not sure where all the parking is, but looks like a lot more than I thought if you include the parking at the Athletic Club. We will just have to see. I can't imagine that the people at the OHSAA that made this decision would purposefully choose a place that is worse and make their lives more difficult. I must admit that I'm skeptical, but optimistic.
As far as parking, Google hasn't updated the satellite photos, but a good portion of the dirt areas you see directly to the left and below the Fortress stadium are in fact paved now. There will be overflow parking in unpaved areas if needed. If they don't have the parking lot entrances blocked, I'll try to take some ground-level shots and post them today or tomorrow, hopefully will give you a better sense of the area.

Zunardo that for inside thoughts on the place. Is the field in front of the stands grass or field turf?

The field in front of the main grandstand is turf. I'm certain they will be running around and not on that.

I'm sure they will put the finish inside the grandstand, but I really hope they do not try and jam the start in there.

I'm optimistic, I think you could layout a very nice course in this area and the facilities seem like a big improvement. I would love to see a course map if there is one floating around out there.

It mentions this as a 50 acre complex. Wasn't National Trail close to 300 acres?

Of course, acreage isn't everything. Usability of that acreage matters for sure.

Here are a few pics I took at the Obetz Fortress today, my apologies for poor composition skills

The lot directly west of the stadium is paved, around 800-1000 lined spots
Fortress paved.jpg

The lot south and southwest of the stadium is compacted with gravel, twice the size of the paved lot:
Fortress gravel.jpg