States

Good Luck to all runners, teams and coaches at the States!!

www.runohio.com
Hmmm...that's an interesting way to put it. I would say "Good luck to all runners, teams and coaches at the State meet!". States could very well mean multiple states in such a statement. States also implies multiple state meets, whereas there is only one state meet with multiple divisions & sexes. While I've seen this term in older literature at times, a more clear statement would be "Good luck to all runners, teams and coaches at their respective State meet."

Not being nit-picky here as we all know what you mean. Just an observation, but do heartily concur on the sentiment.

Hmmm...that's an interesting way to put it. I would say "Good luck to all runners, teams and coaches at the State meet!". States could very well mean multiple states in such a statement. States also implies multiple state meets, whereas there is only one state meet with multiple divisions & sexes. While I've seen this term in older literature at times, a more clear statement would be "Good luck to all runners, teams and coaches at their respective State meet."

Not being nit-picky here as we all know what you mean. Just an observation, but do heartily concur on the sentiment.
Maybe runohio is wishing luck to all of the parties involved in all of the state championships meets around the country...

Right... and you hope the cross country women at Ohio State eventually qualify for NCAA National as opposed to NCAA Nationals. Got it.

Last year everyone was wondering what kind of shape the state meet course would be in, this year I’m not even sure if it rained during a single meet all season across the state. Looks like another mostly dry week, Obetz should be in good shape on Saturday. I think the best race is going to be the last one, the D1 girls field has 4 teams that have a legitimate shot.

Right... and you hope the cross country women at Ohio State eventually qualify for NCAA National as opposed to NCAA Nationals. Got it.
I detect a slight bit of sarcasm, but that's ok. In looking at the NCAA website, they do refer to the "NCAA National Championships", not the "NCAA Nationals". That makes sense and is perfectly understandable given the multiple sports & multiple sexes involved. The OHSAA meet would be similarly worded as "OHSAA Cross Country Championships", properly using the plural "championships" to describe the six (6) separate races involved. I just find the vernacular "states" to be interesting, and as I noted, I've seen this used in older literature at times.

Going out on a limb for D2 boys and going with Marlington (1) , Woodridge (2) Fairfield Union (3),Granville (4), Unioto 5, Carrol (6), Shelby (7) Oakwood (8), Hawken (9) 2-6 is sort of a toss up and very close between all those teams. Carroll's 5 is going to be tough for them to overcome.

Our runners had the opportunity to compete at THEIR Conference, District, Regional and State meets this year. Those races are referred to as a singular meet when discussed individually, Since I mentioned them all in one sentence, I put an “s” on the word “Meet” since it was more than one running competition…. This makes it plural. If I am taking about how an individual or team performed at their region, I will reference the meet as regional, ie the Regioal meet. If we am discussing how a team/individual stacks up at the state meet compared to those from any of the other qualifying meets, I may borrow the “s” from meets and shorten “Regional meets” to Regionals. So, adding an “s” to any meet is proper if your are referencing a plural meaning…. Which is ok OR the meet could also be crowning more than one champion in one race (or more than one race) ie Team and Individual champions. State Championships. In this case it is also proper to borrow the “s” from champions, and refer the meet as States to make it plural. This would also be true for Districts, Regionals, etc. Also, to show ownership, you can add an “s”, to any of these, but should also add a ‘. For instance, If talking about problems with the meet, one could refer to the Regional’s rough terrain. But, if writing about rough terrain at more than one Regional venue, you would write Regionals’. Good luck at State, States and States’. It’s a privilege for all of us who have the opportunity.

Going out on a limb for D2 boys and going with Marlington (1) , Woodridge (2) Fairfield Union (3),Granville (4), Unioto 5, Carrol (6), Shelby (7) Oakwood (8), Hawken (9) 2-6 is sort of a toss up and very close between all those teams. Carroll's 5 is going to be tough for them to overcome.
woodridge wasn't tough enough apparently

In the last 4 years, 7 of the 8 D1 boys trophies have gone back to the Cincinnati District.

2019:
St. Xavier
Mason

2020:
Lak. West
St. Xavier

2021:
Mason

Dub. Coffman

2022:
Mason
St. Xavier

woodridge wasn't tough enough apparently
Honestly, I was surprised they finished 3rd. They looked like something was missing for much of the season. I told psycho_dad sometime back in mid-Sept. that I thought Carroll looked like the 2nd best boys team in D2. Nobody was touching Marlington for 1st. They bring back a good amount, so a 3peat could be on the table for the Dukes.

Honestly, I was surprised they finished 3rd. They looked like something was missing for much of the season. I told psycho_dad sometime back in mid-Sept. that I thought Carroll looked like the 2nd best boys team in D2. Nobody was touching Marlington for 1st. They bring back a good amount, so a 3peat could be on the table for the Dukes.

Stood by a Woodridge lady at the meet today. She said 3rd place was a good finish for them considering their season. Better than she expected I think.

No shame in finishing behind a SW team. Nah, who are we kidding? It must really suck.

No shame in finishing behind a SW team. Nah, who are we kidding? It must really suck.
It does. Makes you step back and re-evaluate everything.

Carroll earned it. It's not like Woodridge handed it to them. At least it wasn't Unioto right?

NE D2 boys outperformed the other regions, so that puts things back in to a good place.

Last edited:
It does. Makes you step back and re-evaluate everything.

Carroll earned it. It's not like Woodridge handed it to them. At least it wasn't Unioto right?

NE D2 boys outperformed the other regions, so that puts things back in to a good place.
It’s good you have that little nugget to hold onto. We’re also feeling good here in the center of the Ohio CC universe where most of the hardware ends up.

It’s good you have that little nugget to hold onto. We’re also feeling good here in the center of the Ohio CC universe where most of the hardware ends up.
Oh, what a D1 mentality!

You do know that now I'm going to have to do a bunch of research, or drag my feet and wait until Mr. Slippery does it.

Threw up in my mouth when I saw a Woodridge Alumni coaching at Centerville.
Feel like the village failed.

NE D1 boys and girls plopped themselves dead middle of the team places. Almost hogging those spots without letting any other teams in. Good bunching.