State XC Results just for fun

Lakota West had never qualified to the state meet before this year. According to the team what pushed them over the top were the facts and inspiration contained in a book called "Jack Daniels' Running Formula”. The team passed it around and studied it like any other course at school and it flipped everyone's knowledge for the sport like a light switch according to them. They claim the facts and information that they got out of it were instrumental in getting them over the top. Has anyone else ever heard of this book or used it for their training?

100.webp

Lakota West had never qualified to the state meet before this year. According to the team what pushed them over the top were the facts and inspiration contained in a book called "Jack Daniels' Running Formula”. The team passed it around and studied it like any other course at school and it flipped everyone's knowledge for the sport like a light switch according to them. They claim the facts and information that they got out of it were instrumental in getting them over the top. Has anyone else ever heard of this book or used it for their training?

I'm guessing most people on here have. Many programs run a variant of it whether they realize it or not. It does get misapplied quite often though.

You're kidding, right?

According to the team what pushed them over the top were the facts and inspiration contained in a book called "Jack Daniels' Running Formula”.

The basis of the Jack Daniels Running formula involves taking a few handles of Jack Daniels, standing in a circle, and chugging it prior to training. The theory behind this is that if you're able to run well after consumption of large quantities of bourbon, you'll be able to run a lot better in race situations when none has been consumed. It is a very controversial training technique but it also has been very successful.

West Liberty Salem has 4 Freshmen on that team, #2,3,6,7
That should provide some great battles with Minster as they try to rebound from their lowly 2nd this year.

I think the Jack Daniels book revolutionized high school distance running. Suddenly coaches with a minimal distance training background could follow the training outlined in the book. The depth of successful teams seemed to make a solid accent once this book was popularized. I think it is a big part of why distance runners have rebounded nationwide since 2000.

In all seriousness, Lancer, this is a good article and will give you a good understanding of Daniels' principles. It's all about Vo2 max. Most high-level endurance athletes, cyclists, cross country skiers, etc, incorporate similar guidelines into their training. If you want to read more, Daniels' book is readily available.

Interesting to me that no one asked or picked up on the fact that Woodridge did not have their #2 back from last year who was also the number 2 returner for all of D2. Just decided not to come out this year. I was waiting and waiting to have to answer where he was all season. I guess with the lack of big meets, it was hard to sift through the results and see such a glaring hole.

Also, hard to believe that kids reading Daniels would make that much a difference. Not exciting reading. We will see how well it does next year.

Lakota West participated in the Meet of Champions yesterday in Terre Haute. They finished 4th. Does anyone know much about this meet, how does it compare to the Footlocker team races?

Lakota West participated in the Meet of Champions yesterday in Terre Haute. They finished 4th. Does anyone know much about this meet, how does it compare to the Footlocker team races?
It looked pretty competitive with some solid teams from across the country. Here is a link to the results.

Nate Moore also ran unattached and finished 5th in 15:21 ~ 7 seconds off the winner. St. X's Nathan Mountain ran 15:50. There are some other Ohioans sprinkled throughout the results. Lancaster ran as a team but in a different division.

FinishTiming & MileSplit are teaming up to sponsor the 2020 Midwest Challenge XC Meet at the Clark County Fairgrounds on November 28. Is the Mideast XC Championship put on by the OATCCC and held at Indian Riffle not being held this year?

It looked pretty competitive with some solid teams from across the country. Here is a link to the results.

Nate Moore also ran unattached and finished 5th in 15:21 ~ 7 seconds off the winner. St. X's Nathan Mountain ran 15:50. There are some other Ohioans sprinkled throughout the results. Lancaster ran as a team but in a different division.

FinishTiming & MileSplit are teaming up to sponsor the 2020 Midwest Challenge XC Meet at the Clark County Fairgrounds on November 28. Is the Mideast XC Championship put on by the OATCCC and held at Indian Riffle not being held this year?
No mideast meet was cancelled. That is one of the reasons we decided to try to host something so kids could compete some more and compete against other divisions of athletes as they have not been able to all year.

Meet of Champions had an impressive list of boys teams.
#1 ranked (Milesplit top 50) Newbury Park (CA) ran away with the championship trophy.
#2 ranked Columbus North (IN) did not run well, finishing 9th.
#8 ranked St. Charles (IL) finished 3rd.
#9 ranked Carmel (IN) finished 12th.
#14 Lakota West (OH) finished 4th
#16 ranked Jesuit (OR) finished in 2nd place
#21 Great Oak HS (CA) finished 5th
#22 Severna Park (MD) finished 6th
Milesplit Honorable Mention teams:
Naperville North (IL) finished 7th

As a whole, it looked like the Hoosier teams underachieved or not worthy of their national rankings.

That should provide some great battles with Minster as they try to rebound from their lowly 2nd this year.

I think the Jack Daniels book revolutionized high school distance running. Suddenly coaches with a minimal distance training background could follow the training outlined in the book. The depth of successful teams seemed to make a solid accent once this book was popularized. I think it is a big part of why distance runners have rebounded nationwide since 2000.

Not sure how Minster's 2nd place can be considered lowly, even for Minster standards. They knocked off Liberty Center who beat them at Regionals. As far as I'm concerned Minster is still the standard-bearer for Ohio high school girls cross country.

Not sure how Minster's 2nd place can be considered lowly, even for Minster standards. They knocked off Liberty Center who beat them at Regionals. As far as I'm concerned Minster is still the standard-bearer for Ohio high school girls cross country.

And that was the impetus for my joke "lowly 2nd place". I know sarcasm is tough to be deciphered on a message board, but I was banking that even I was not considered that out of touch.

And that was the impetus for my joke "lowly 2nd place". I know sarcasm is tough to be deciphered on a message board, but I was banking that even I was not considered that out of touch.
I don't know you, so have no way of detecting your sarcasm. What I do know is that Minster was impressive at state. Thanks for clarifying. (y)

Interesting to me that no one asked or picked up on the fact that Woodridge did not have their #2 back from last year who was also the number 2 returner for all of D2. Just decided not to come out this year. I was waiting and waiting to have to answer where he was all season. I guess with the lack of big meets, it was hard to sift through the results and see such a glaring hole.
I heard that their #2 went out for the football team and didn't play much.

Any idea on the change of heart. It seems odd to have so much team and individual success and ditch it for a sport you have never played.
My one conversation with him was very brief. "They don't need me to win." I honestly thought he was messing around. He's not the most serious kid. Guess he got out of it all he wanted and was done. Doubt I'll see him in the Spring.