STATE WRESTLING SITES/DATES FINALIZED

OHSAA navigating this pretty well. Being such a close contact sport I don't fault them for canceling last year, but man did that suck. Glad they will this year. Get back to a big party at the Schott in 2022.

Columbus is going to be extra rowdy, lol.

i feel like the seniors are being scammed out of a state wrestling experience with it not being at the schott, however i am happy that its actually happening this year
I can pretty much guarantee that NO state finals from here on out will be held on OSU's campus. It is not an OHSAA thing it is an OSU price thing. I know for a fact that the State track meet bill just to host was in excess of $100,000. I have heard the OSU was getting somewhere over $40,000 per session for the girls basketball tournament. No one is taking away these athletes chance to win a state title. What is getting taken away from them is a large crowd when they compete for a state title, and knowing most high school athletes all they want to do is compete. Thank goodness some family members will be in attendance to cheer them on.

I can pretty much guarantee that NO state finals from here on out will be held on OSU's campus. It is not an OHSAA thing it is an OSU price thing. I know for a fact that the State track meet bill just to host was in excess of $100,000. I have heard the OSU was getting somewhere over $40,000 per session for the girls basketball tournament. No one is taking away these athletes chance to win a state title. What is getting taken away from them is a large crowd when they compete for a state title, and knowing most high school athletes all they want to do is compete. Thank goodness some family members will be in attendance to cheer them on.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, but, the greed of OSU is what drove the tournament day change. Don't let their excuse of parking spots fool you. We've all seen the main parking lot barely used over the years on Thursday and Friday morning. They do have new residences and facilities that way, but not enough to warrant their excuse.

I don't know if we'll see it back at the Schott next year or not. Without some sympathy on OSU's part and/or a really big football season. The cost might be too high. I know everyone wants to see it, even OSU, but for the right price.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, but, the greed of OSU is what drove the tournament day change. Don't let their excuse of parking spots fool you. We've all seen the main parking lot barely used over the years on Thursday and Friday morning. They do have new residences and facilities that way, but not enough to warrant their excuse.

I don't know if we'll see it back at the Schott next year or not. Without some sympathy on OSU's part and/or a really big football season. The cost might be too high. I know everyone wants to see it, even OSU, but for the right price.
I never mentioned parking spots. OSU does not care about parking spots. They want to get as much money for the use of their facilities as they can. This is why I find it laughable EVERY year on the football forum people saying that the state football finals should be held at the Horseshoe. If OSU is getting $100,000 plus for Jesse Owens what would they expect to get for the crown Jewell of their facilities. I shouldn't say that NO state finals will be held at OSU in the future, but for the foreseeable future they won't be. It will be different, but it will be fine.

I have a feeling if you have a barn, with stalls, you would have them rented out. After last year these wrestlers will do whatever is necessary to compete.
Are any of them old enough to have actually wrestled in a barn? That was a long time ago for my wrestlers.

How do you know for a fact it was $100,000 for Jesse Owens? Were their financials released?

Last edited:
The OATCCC rep in my region released this information to the coaches that he represents. He did give an exact amount, but said it was in excess of that amount.

The OATCCC rep in my region released this information to the coaches that he represents. He did give an exact amount, but said it was in excess of that amount.

That's an outrageous price for that facility. I'm guessing the state track meet doesn't make nearly that amount of $ in ticket sales and it's a huge loss for OHSAA

That's an outrageous price for that facility. I'm guessing the state track meet doesn't make nearly that amount of $ in ticket sales and it's a huge loss for OHSAA
The state track meet traditionally is a decent money maker for the OHSAA. The stadium is usually 75% to 95% full. Where track loses money is at the district and the regional levels. Up until recently the regionals had admission protocols for athletes, but not all regions followed them to the same extent. Also the state helped schools with travel. For the district where I coach one of our teams always ended up making a 2.5-3 hour drive down to Lancaster Fairfield Union and that gets expensive.

One thing about Marion, it is close to the G+R Tavern, home of the best fried bologna sandwich in Ohio. They will be cleaning up that weekend, oh and don't forget about the largest slice of pie I have ever seen for desert.

That Peanut butter pie will make your tongue slap your brains out

I never mentioned parking spots. OSU does not care about parking spots. They want to get as much money for the use of their facilities as they can. This is why I find it laughable EVERY year on the football forum people saying that the state football finals should be held at the Horseshoe. If OSU is getting $100,000 plus for Jesse Owens what would they expect to get for the crown Jewell of their facilities. I shouldn't say that NO state finals will be held at OSU in the future, but for the foreseeable future they won't be. It will be different, but it will be fine.
I know you didn't, but it was an "issue" OSU brought up to the wrestling associations and discussed on this board previously. Traffic and parking on that end of the campus was at a premium and during the school week, kids were having issues parking on Thursdays and Fridays. Add in girls basketball at St. John's, wrestling forced to move to the Friday- Sunday.

Streaming
All state tournament matches will be streamed live through the NFHS Network. Additional details on how to access the video streams will be shared closer to the event.

I sure hope they do a better job at the individual state tourney than they did at he State Duals this year. No announcing, scoreboards or anything. just a camera showing the action and wrestlers are so small no way to even know who is on the mat. This would have been a good one for Flo todo,. they a have it down. IMO

Streaming
I sure hope they do a better job at the individual state tourney than they did at he State Duals this year. No announcing, scoreboards or anything. just a camera showing the action and wrestlers are so small no way to even know who is on the mat. This would have been a good one for Flo todo,. they a have it down. IMO

I wouldn't expect State to be any different. The NFHS has pretty much always been point a camera at the mat/field and let viewers figure it out for themselves. Though Flo does a good job with events could you imagine the complaints from families when they find out the only way they can watch is to spend $150 for a subscription? Until Flo comes up with a Pay-Per-View option they've kinda priced themselves out of the market.

Streaming
All state tournament matches will be streamed live through the NFHS Network. Additional details on how to access the video streams will be shared closer to the event.

D3 Had announcers.

D3 did a great job. They were a little off on some matches but overall they did very well. 150 is a drop in the bucket for what these folks would have paid if they took their family to watch in person. Parents of the kids will most likely be a the event anyways.

Flo has good content year around that you get access to, it is not just the state tourney. I paid $70 for the annual pass on NFHS and I wish I would have looked at the format prior to paying. That's on me though.

I wouldn't expect State to be any different. The NFHS has pretty much always been point a camera at the mat/field and let viewers figure it out for themselves. Though Flo does a good job with events could you imagine the complaints from families when they find out the only way they can watch is to spend $150 for a subscription? Until Flo comes up with a Pay-Per-View option they've kinda priced themselves out of the market.

I don't disagree but FLO is the market and I can't see NFHS giving away subscriptions to them? ✌
I will say that ESPN+ has been great for college wrestling this season.

BTW All... Inside The Circle is in for the D-I state tournament at Hilliard Darby. Might have another joining us for play-by-play; we'll see. Also, I'm 99.9% positive H. Darby has a broadcast class - it's possible they put one of those students behind the mic.

D-II at Highland will be covered (as much as possible) by Rob Gore (Twitter: @RobGore1). Rob recently had an interview with a wrestler from Olentangy; that video went viral, reaching just about 35K views. Additionally, Rob did work for the D-III State Duals at Versailles. Just yesterday, he was at the C/SE girls district tournament at Olentangy Orange. Videos from that event are going up on his YouTube channel now. He and ITC will be covering the Girls State Tournament next Saturday & Sunday (2/20-21) at Hilliard Davidson.

It is my understanding that Zeb Miller (GOhioCasts) is working on details for D-III right now.

All four state tournaments will be covered - LEGIT!

I have BTN+. I get all OSU wrestling as I also have BTN. Is it worth it to get ESPN Plus as well?

Yes. Yes a thousand times over! YES!!!

I do believe I have both as well, but have yet to check in on BTN+ due to being stuck on ESPN+. Sooo much good wrestling available. AND it's month-by-month subscription at $5.99/month.

Last edited:
When will sectional info be released? I'm assuming that all of them will have a split schedule with lighter weights in the morning and bigger weights in the afternoon?