State Volleyball Playoffs

My 'educated' guesses for the semifinal winners (in bold):

Division I
Columbus Bishop Watterson (17-6) vs. Parma Padua Franciscan (20-0)
Cincinnati Mount Notre Dame (21-2) vs. Cleveland St. Joseph Academy (16-9)

Division II
Plain City Jonathan Alder (22-0) vs. Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (13-4)
Tipp City Tippecanoe (27-0) vs. Gates Mills Gilmour Academy (21-1)

Division III
Zoarville Tuscarawas Valley (27-1) vs. Independence (N/A)
Huron (23-2) vs. Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (20-7)

Division IV
Newark Catholic (20-5) vs. New Bremen (24-3)
Tiffin Calvert (27-0) vs. Dalton (18-8)

I agree with most of these. The best matches are probably going to be Jonathan Alder v NDCL and Newark Catholic v New Bremen.

Upset special is Watterson over Padua. I cannot believe I am saying this but the Padua coach can get into his own players heads and they can play tight in big matches. One of the worst things you can ever do as a volleyball coach is make a libero change shirts in public after a tough set, I have seen BeHarry do this.

I agree with most of these. The best matches are probably going to be Jonathan Alder v NDCL and Newark Catholic v New Bremen.

Looks like Jonathan Alder didn't get the message that there was a match today. I hope Newark Catholic and New Bremen will save the prediction.

Tipp City hanging with Gilmour, 1-1 coming up to the important 3rd set. The Lancers are playing tight with 5 service errors and numerous setting errors through 2 sets. Also of note, Tipp City has played a match in the Butler gym as they are in this conference.

Tipp City hanging with Gilmour, 1-1 coming up to the important 3rd set. The Lancers are playing tight with 5 service errors and numerous setting errors through 2 sets. Also of note, Tipp City has played a match in the Butler gym as they are in this conference.

You could throw a rock from Tipp City and hit the Butler SAC with it, that's how close this game is for Tipp to being at home.

A close 3rd goes Gilmour's way, 25-23. Bet the Lancers didn't see this coming after watching NDCL steam roll through their match.

Seeing more than the usual setter errors being called both ways, good for the ref. Too many times in a HS match a ref swallow's their whistle because they are afraid to make that call, as one coach told me it either is or isn't so make the call if it is an error.

Nice match for Gilmour's Junior Sabrina Gremm. She had 15 kills in 20 attempts for a .700 hitting %, only 1 error. In club she plays on the opposite side of Caroline Jurevicius, its always fun when club teammates meet up in a match.

Now a re-match between two former NCL teams that know each other very well.

Last edited:
One of the NDCL girls is the best friend of the Gilmour setter.. That old Northcoast League I believe had six teams which has won at least one state championship.

One of the NDCL girls is the best friend of the Gilmour setter.. That old Northcoast League I believe had six teams which has won at least one state championship.

In Div 2 I have the following since 2010>
Beaumont
Lake Catholic
NDCL
Padua

Gilmour won in Div III in '15.
Due to their lame boys teams Holy Name had to leave the NCL and they won a title couple years ago but still played a lot of the NCL teams .
In Div I St. Joseph Academy was in the NCL when they were runner ups in 2017.
Hoban was a state champs back in the '90s when it was a different game.

Padua only playing a 7 girl rotation so far, if this thing goes 5 conditioning will be key. Also, a lot of service and attack errors.

My 'educated' guesses for the semifinal winners (in bold):

Division I
Columbus Bishop Watterson (17-6) vs. Parma Padua Franciscan (20-0)
Cincinnati Mount Notre Dame (21-2) vs. Cleveland St. Joseph Academy (16-9)

Division II
Plain City Jonathan Alder (22-0) vs. Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (13-4)
Tipp City Tippecanoe (27-0) vs. Gates Mills Gilmour Academy (21-1)

Division III
Zoarville Tuscarawas Valley (27-1) vs. Independence (N/A)
Huron (23-2) vs. Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (20-7)

Division IV
Newark Catholic (20-5) vs. New Bremen (24-3)
Tiffin Calvert (27-0) vs. Dalton (18-8)
In the finals, I'm going with:

D1: Parma Padua Franciscan
D2: Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
D3: Huron
D4: New Bremen

Gilmour wins in 5. A nice service run to finish out the match and it appears they really keyed on Jurvicious.

What a Jekyll and Hyde game.

MND coaches always seem to be steady and in control and it carries over onto a calmness on the floor. Dominate performance vs a very good team.

Tiffin Calvert (29-0) 2020 Division 4 State Volleyball Champions ??. Lost 6 sets all season and return an incredible amount of talent in 2021.

In the finals, I'm going with:

D1: Parma Padua Franciscan
D2: Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
D3: Huron
D4: New Bremen
1 for 4.

3 private school champs, 1 public school champ.

Hope to be back on-site at the Nutter in 2021!

Last edited:
Tiffin Calvert (29-0) 2020 Division 4 State Volleyball Champions ??. Lost 6 sets all season and return an incredible amount of talent in 2021.

Calvert, with just 43 girls in the school, had just one senior that played any significant amount of time and two of their three best players were a freshman and sophomore. They went 66-1 this year as a varsity, JV and freshman. Baring something crazy, they aren't going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
A

Actually just five sets all year...Toledo St. Ursula, New Riegel, Tiffin Columbian, Fort Recovery and New Bremen. They won each of those matches 3-1.

To add to it a little bit, Calvert has not gone five sets since winning the 2018 state championship over New Bremen. As RollingTrain mentioned, they won five matches by 3-1 score this year and swept the other 24.

To add to it a little bit, Calvert has not gone five sets since winning the 2018 state championship over New Bremen. As RollingTrain mentioned, they won five matches by 3-1 score this year and swept the other 24.

I am sure that it helps to have a solid American/Regional level club, Black Swamp, in its backyard.

I am sure that it helps to have a solid American/Regional level club, Black Swamp, in its backyard.
Agreed. They aren't doing anything wrong (actually doing it right), but no school of <50 girls has that type of high-end talent without a unique connection. Year-round club volleyball fills the majority of talent for all of these state championship caliber teams.