State tournament upsets/surprises . . .

rbrdyz

any upsets or surprises over the weekend, any division.

first round D3 - 165lbs, #15 Brubaker pins #8 Sheehan in 31 seconds

*borofan ranking

Last edited:

Certainly not an upset but it continues to surprise me how Ries (285) can continually split close, one-point matches with Fockler and Andrews and then turn around and consistently have similar scores (wins) in matches with lesser opponents.

#2 Allen 285 lost to ST 4.
I don’t know Allen personally. But I was at the JC Gorman his sophomore year when he was champion and state runner up at State.
After Allen won the 285 lbs championship at the JC Gorman and everyone was leaving the gym he walked up and down the stands with a garbage bag picking up trash (not just where his team or fans sat). Very classy and respectful.

I don’t know Allen personally. But I was at the JC Gorman his sophomore year when he was champion and state runner up at State.
After Allen won the 285 lbs championship at the JC Gorman and everyone was leaving the gym he walked up and down the stands with a garbage bag picking up trash (not just where his team or fans sat). Very classy and respectful.
He is a good kid. Really surprised he went down.

james lindsay loses first round
anthony perez loses first round
cannon endicott loses first round (ranked 2nd lost to #1) not really upset
cole evans loses first round

D3 215 Borofan's #1, Julien Griffith gets pinned in the first round.

To be fair, he was facing Borofan's #2 in the first round due to both getting upset at Districts last week.
Griffith forfeit consolations so maybe he was hurt coming in or during the first round?

I was hoping to follow Allen back through the consolations but he forfeited. What happened?
I heard he was hurt coming into the tournament and was hoping to tough it out, looks like that may be the case judging by the subsequent default after losing round 1.

Certainly not an upset but it continues to surprise me how Ries (285) can continually split close, one-point matches with Fockler and Andrews and then turn around and consistently have similar scores (wins) in matches with lesser opponents.
Another overtime win. It must be draining.