State Tournament leaving Columbus?

I understand your point and it would be equitable for everyone if a rotation system could be implemented. A few problems though. Toledo/BG while accessible, probably don't have big enough arenas. Athens is just too far out of the way for people from the NW, NE and SW (I'd still go, the beer in Athens is just as cold as the rest of the state). The SW has UC, Cintas and UD, with UD being the best option for the rest of the state due to location. The NE has 2 arenas that are options, both in downtown Cleveland (Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse and CSU) and accessible from 77, 71 and the turnpike. Akron is not an option as the JAR only seats 5,500.
So we're really only left with the NE and the SW.
Also, will people from Cinci want to drive all the way to Cle and will people from Cle want to drive all the way to Cin. Long hauls for both and in an age of dwindling attendances, probably not the best. So if the games can't be played at Nationwide in C-bus, Dayton appears to be the best option.
Just my opinion.
It was just a thought. Toledo seats 9000 for basketball and the long drive would only happen once every 4 years

"made money"
Ok, I will assume those are gross figures since I have never seen a spreadsheet released on the costs of renting the Schott Center for the tournament or a specific cost for soliciting, printing and distribution of all the tickets for the those weekends.

Maybe they made money ? Maybe it’s the entire HS tournament ? There’s nobody there for the girls and boys State tournaments, save a couple on each side.

Ok, I will assume those are gross figures since I have never seen a spreadsheet released on the costs of renting the Schott Center for the tournament or a specific cost for soliciting, printing and distribution of all the tickets for the those weekends.

Net figures (Made money vs Lost Money)

The annual sports financials can be found in the various board meeting minutes. Last year's reporting, which includes the last 5 years as of that date can be found here....

For an example of tournament financials that reflect a loss, see the 2019 spring sports results here....

It was just a thought. Toledo seats 9000 for basketball and the long drive would only happen once every 4 years
It was a really good thought and I applaud it. I just thought I'd list possible problems. I'd be all for a rotation system if they could make it work. Toledo is more accessible than people think and wouldn't be all that long of a drive (except for people in the SE). If Toledo can accommodate that many people then they should be considered.

It was a really good thought and I applaud it. I just thought I'd list possible problems. I'd be all for a rotation system if they could make it work. Toledo is more accessible than people think and wouldn't be all that long of a drive (except for people in the SE). If Toledo can accommodate that many people then they should be considered.
Eh, don't really need to worry about a part of the state that so rarely sends a team to the basketball final four.

Net figures (Made money vs Lost Money)

The annual sports financials can be found in the various board meeting minutes. Last year's reporting, which includes the last 5 years as of that date can be found here....

For an example of tournament financials that reflect a loss, see the 2019 spring sports results here....

Why the wild swings + or - year over year? Fanbase of who is participating?

I get that UD is a longer drive for parts of the state but they will do a great job hosting if given the chance and there would be local support from casual fans that otherwise might not drive to Columbus. That might apply to other parts of the state too so maybe a rotation makes the most sense.

Why the wild swings + or - year over year? Fanbase of who is participating?

Fan base is certainly a large segment aspect. Others are weather, match ups, presence of or lack of star (marquee) players......

Looking at the numbers seems to blow holes in the "centrally located" is the only answer for State Finals rationale.

Hiland, Warren, Meadowbrook, Logan Elm , St. Clairsville, John Glenn, Zanesville, Portsmouth. Wheelersburg. Sure I missed a couple from last 10 years or less. And they all bring Big Crowds.

I can't lie, for literally being in the middle of nowhere, it's actually a great location for the tournament. Pretty much every issue people have brought up here about being at OSU, and even other locations, is nonexistent at Hershey.

And it's literally at an amusement park.

State finals shared between Cedar Point and Kings Island. Someone get on it!

I haven't been UD Arena is about 10 years (NCAA Tournament). The main concern with hosting the OHSAAA State Tournament was there wasn't anyplace within a 10 minute walk (unlike going to the Varsity Club). You had to leave the parking to go to a restaurant or bar. Is that still the case?

I would say its more than a 10 minute walk to the watering holes on the UD campus area(probably closer to 15-20). No more than a 5 minute drive however parking around those places is minimal. There is fast food places on the other side of 75 within an easy 10 minute walk however. If one ever gets up there for a game there is a bar/restaurant a little further from the UD campus where we used to go during the DI districts every year called Kramers. Difficult to head back to the Arena once we were there, LOL.

Thank you for your reply. It just seems that after moving to the Value City Arena, the state tournament has lost its luster. Maybe it is the fact that the championship games are on TV or just a generational change. I still enjoy going and with the Interstate system in Ohio, there is no place that is unreasonable to go to. I have to defend my Southeast area (from an earlier poster). Portsmouth High School won 4 titles and anytime a team from our area makes the Final Four, there is tremendous community support.

I get that UD is a longer drive for parts of the state but they will do a great job hosting if given the chance and there would be local support from casual fans that otherwise might not drive to Columbus. That might apply to other parts of the state too so maybe a rotation makes the most sense.
I don't disagree. And I think a rotation system would be a good idea because it would give the casual fan from different parts of the State a greater opportunity to see the HS tournament at least once very 4 years. But it kind of begs the question of what the would the purpose of installing a rotation system be? For OHSAA to consider it, it would likely need to be more profitable than the current state of affairs. To avoid being "revenue neutral" or worse, the rotation system would have to either (A) increase revenues (more butts in the seats!) or (B) decrease costs. I agree that holding the tournament at UD would attract more local casual fans who maybe wont' go to Columbus. But you would also be losing the Columbus casual fan who maybe won't go to Dayton. As for the teams themselves, I doubt a rotation system would have a great deal of impact. If my team was playing in Columbus, it wouldn't bother me to drive an extra hour to go watch them in Dayton. Not everyone would feel that way, but that could very likely be offset by greater regional interest in the tournament. Still, I'm not convinced the overall numbers would be affected one way or the other. Now, would the costs go down? The main cost that would be at issue would be the facility rental. There, my guess is that OSU is likely the highest rental in the State. I have no idea how much of a cost savings you would see by moving the tournament to UD or Toledo or CSU, but it could be significant. IMO it would have to be in order to compel OHSAA to act.

Since the renovations back in '08, Toledo seats just over 7,300.

I can't see the Blue Jackets wanting to deal with TWO tournaments right in the heart of their season.
And this is the exact reason it won't happen. Are the Blue Jackets gonna give up two entire weekends in the final month of their season? Heck no.

It’s too bad TOSU doesn’t have much interest in this. This event has been a Crown Jewel for a long time. Looks like this event will get put on one side of the state or the other. This won’t help attendance or bring the state tournament back up to a special event as in the past

It’s too bad TOSU doesn’t have much interest in this. This event has been a Crown Jewel for a long time. Looks like this event will get put on one side of the state or the other. This won’t help attendance or bring the state tournament back up to a special event as in the past

State Finals are State Finals whether they are played in Columbus, Canton, Akron, Dayton, Cincinnati or Delaware.

Just ask the kids

Thank you for your reply. It just seems that after moving to the Value City Arena, the state tournament has lost its luster. Maybe it is the fact that the championship games are on TV or just a generational change. I still enjoy going and with the Interstate system in Ohio, there is no place that is unreasonable to go to. I have to defend my Southeast area (from an earlier poster). Portsmouth High School won 4 titles and anytime a team from our area makes the Final Four, there is tremendous community support.
Agree with all of this and you don't have to defend the SE. Great followings down there and I enjoy it whenever I can get there for a game. Fairland brought a bunch when they got to state a few years back.