State Tournament leaving Columbus?

buckeyes2003

Earlier today, the OHSAA made the announcement that the girls basketball state tournament will be moved to Dayton. Does this mean anything for the boys tournament or other winter sports state tournaments held on Ohio State campus?

Earlier today, the OHSAA made the announcement that the girls basketball state tournament will be moved to Dayton. Does this mean anything for the boys tournament or other winter sports state tournaments held on Ohio State campus?

If Dayton gets huge crowds for the girls tourney which I think they will then I could definitely see OHSAA moving the boys to UD as well in a few years.

Boys should be at St. John’s arena every year. Also, it’s centrally located if it’s not torn down.
Ohio State doesn’t want to deal with the OHSAA, and the OHSAA is looking down the line of possibly having less $$$ to rent facilities with.

Could see Dayton location being great for attendance. Will it be at U D or Wright State? Girls are at Wright state for volleyball.

Would Akron/Canton be a similar potential? I recall going to Akron for girls state tournament in 1986.

If Ohio State doesn't want the games or if the cost of hosting there is becoming an issue, then Dayton makes a ton of sense. As far as the facility and location goes, UD Arena would be second only to St. John's for attendance/atmosphere IMO.

I'm not a fan of Wright St's arena. With how the seats flare out you feel like you're a million miles away even in the lower bowl. Dayton has a similar feel I don't care for, but Wright feels worse. On the flip side, I love Xavier. You can be in the upper tier and still feel like your on top of the action. I think lighting plays a part as well. Xavier feels the brightest of the 3 while Wright St feels like a dungeon to me.

Wright St. is a miserable place to watch a basketball game.

I like Cintas, but it's a bit low on max capacity. The perfect size IMO for the state tournament in it's current state of attendance is 12k to 14k seats.

Multiple state tournaments are already being held in other cities and doing fine. Basketball could be no different. I have heard over the last few years that working with the management group that controls the Schott has become harder and harder and it is very costly.

I get a sense that OSU and OHSAA are not real friendly with each other anymore for whatever reason. I think the problem with the basketball tourney is the multiple days you have to go to Columbus if you play in the finals. But, I remember it being a big deal to go to Miami for the districts and UD for the Regionals. Those games were special.

I get a sense that OSU and OHSAA are not real friendly with each other anymore for whatever reason. I think the problem with the basketball tourney is the multiple days you have to go to Columbus if you play in the finals. But, I remember it being a big deal to go to Miami for the districts and UD for the Regionals. Those games were special.
My guess is in the absence of prominent Ohio State figures advocating for the school to try and get football + basketball finals held at the school every year, tOSU won't see a visibly strong relationship with the OHSAA (read: hosting football + basketball) as a priority. When it comes to the hosting arrangements: I don't claim to know much of the story, but you can't make someone dance with you. And if you have to force someone or guilt them into dancing with you, then there's no heart, shared interest or engagement in the dance for either party. Such I presume to be the case with OHSAA + Ohio State. Ohio State has a good idea of how they want to utilize their facilities in future planning, and evidently the OHSAA isn't #1 on the list.

But is it a rocky state of affairs? Probably not. There's no doubt the people from the OHSAA and Ohio State are professionals looking out for their organizations, and they likely are cordial and respectful with each other. The OHSAA understands to accept "no" for an answer.

Unless Ryan Day and Chris Holtmann start advocating and fighting for Ohio State to host OHSAA state finals in football and basketball, Ohio State doesn't have anyone in their walls calling on them to answer the bell.

My guess is in the absence of prominent Ohio State figures advocating for the school to try and get football + basketball finals held at the school every year, tOSU won't see a visibly strong relationship with the OHSAA (read: hosting football + basketball) as a priority. When it comes to the hosting arrangements: I don't claim to know much of the story, but you can't make someone dance with you. And if you have to force someone or guilt them into dancing with you, then there's no heart, shared interest or engagement in the dance for either party. Such I presume to be the case with OHSAA + Ohio State. Ohio State has a good idea of how they want to utilize their facilities in future planning, and evidently the OHSAA isn't #1 on the list.

But is it a rocky state of affairs? Probably not. There's no doubt the people from the OHSAA and Ohio State are professionals looking out for their organizations, and they likely are cordial and respectful with each other. The OHSAA understands to accept "no" for an answer.

Unless Ryan Day and Chris Holtmann start advocating and fighting for Ohio State to host OHSAA state finals in football and basketball, Ohio State doesn't have anyone in their walls calling on them to answer the bell.
. The Osu football and basketball coaches don’t recruit Ohio like they use to. Talent is part of the reason. Thus, they have little loyalties to Ohio players and the OHSAA. That’s a shame. Great location and facilities, but the coaches and administrators could care less about the playoffs/ tournaments.