State Tackle Leaders

total tackles are very subjective, it's not like they are taking rushing yards or passing yards.....I've seen some teams in the MAC have players with 100 plus tackles, and some have around 50....... there is NO definition on how to count tackles.....

total tackles are very subjective, it's not like they are taking rushing yards or passing yards.....I've seen some teams in the MAC have players with 100 plus tackles, and some have around 50....... there is NO definition on how to count tackles.....
Yes, tackles can be somewhat subjective. I think where you get the stat-padders is when, instead of giving the rightful solo tackler a solo tackle, some coaches just give tons of assists so that everyone's numbers get inflated.

But actually, there is a definition. Straight from my NFHS Statisticians' Manual:

PXL_20221031_130901843.jpg

PXL_20221031_130917261.jpg

The one thing missing is confirmation of the calculation for Total Tackles. All other levels of football use: Solo + Assist = Total, so that's what MaxPreps and other sites use.

You can read the entire Statisticians' Manual here: https://www.nfhs.org/media/865876/stat_manual_2003.pdf

Last edited:
Unfortunately, on a state-wide basis there is no standard way to rate or classify any other tackle that is not for a loss. In the stats, a tackle 15 yards beyond the LOS counts the same as a tackle AT the LOS. There is no context available for the final tally of non-loss tackles.

Teams can do this internally, though, often as the basis for some helmet stickers.

Yes, tackles can be somewhat subjective. I think where you get the stat-padders is when, instead of giving the rightful solo tackler a solo tackle, some coaches just give tons of assists so that everyone's numbers get inflated.

But actually, there is a definition. Straight from my NFHS Statisticians' Manual:

View attachment 35423

View attachment 35424

The one thing missing is confirmation of the calculation for Total Tackles. All other levels of football use: Solo + Assist = Total, so that's what MaxPreps and other sites use.

You can read the entire Statisticians' Manual here: https://www.nfhs.org/media/865876/stat_manual_2003.pdf
yes I've seen that before, but when the leading tackler has over 100 plus tackles for one team and the Def player in the MAC has 50, you have to question the EYES who are counting the tackles...

yes I've seen that before, but when the leading tackler has over 100 plus tackles for one team and the Def player in the MAC has 50, you have to question the EYES who are counting the tackles...
What was the full defensive stat line for that player with 50 tackles? And by "Def player in the MAC" are you referring to "Defensive Player of the Year?"

What was the full defensive stat line for that player with 50 tackles? And by "Def player in the MAC" are you referring to "Defensive Player of the Year?"
Meier (linebacker) of Marion Local was DPOY in the MAC - reason he did not have more tackles, two other linebackers for ML were also 1st team All MAC and he rarely played deep into the 3rd qtr. because many of Marion Local games were running clocks by then.

Meier (linebacker) of Marion Local was DPOY in the MAC - reason he did not have more tackles, two other linebackers for ML were also 1st team All MAC and he rarely played deep into the 3rd qtr. because many of Marion Local games were running clocks by then.
I was figuring it was something like that. Also, when you have a good, dominant offense and good, dominant defense, your defense is on the field much less than teams with a not-so-great offense and not-so-great defense.

so the boy from Marion Local, had 65 tackles, while Delphos St Johns had 4 players above 70 tackles, with the top player had 115.... and yes the boy from ML was D player of the year.... while Minster's top player had 45 tackles....

OSU former LB Chris Spielman tied the OSU record of 29 tackles in The Game vs Michigan in 1986. I recall watching a tv broadcast with Spielman a few years ago and the 29 tackles game was brought up. Typical Spielman, he was not too proud of the record stating he got the record because the Bucks could not stop UM on 3rd downs during the game. Spielman also said too many of those 29 tackles were 4+ yards past the line of scrimmage. Still, an impressive stat but Spielman was correct in what he said.

If you think about it, it makes sense to a degree when considering the team. The Flyers gave up what less then 3 point per game? They forced a lot of 3 and outs. So say you get 4 drives in the first half and all go 3 and out you have 12 chances at a tackle if you're not also on special teams. Then you sit your butt on the bench in the 3rd and watch the JV play. A lot of Marion's stats were down this year but they just weren't on the field enough to make that many tackles.

Number of tackles isn't a reliable stat. A few years ago a local team reported that their nose tackle had 150+, two linebackers had 120+ and a bunch more had 80-100. Either they played the longest games in history or the coach counted any time they put a finger on a jersey as a tackle.

In my opinion, this is the most overrated stat. A great defense will have low tackle counts, cause they have more 3 and outs. The more guys you have with high tackle counts, means your not getting off the field. Especially a safety with a high tackle count.

I don't know the numbers but it seems like #4 Laverde is in on every tackle for Kirtland - and many are for a loss. He spends as much time in the backfield as the opposing QB.

I don't know the numbers but it seems like #4 Laverde is in on every tackle for Kirtland - and many are for a loss. He spends as much time in the backfield as the opposing QB.
He is an exceptional linebacker. He extremely quick at diagnosing plays and getting to the ball

Myles Vordemark Sidney 173
Ryan Crampton Greenville 141

Now he has slipped into 4th in a matter of 1 minute of google searching.
Lol 173 tackles? I just looked at mvl site and the team gave up 30 ppg but he had 173 tackles. 93 solos and 80 falling on top of the pile