State Rankings

Letsrace

How do you all feel about the rankings? I know, they really don't matter. They are fun to talk about. Who do you think is the most overrated team? Who is underrated, or should be ranked but isn't? I think Cloverleaf boys are very underrated.

We will see better after Tuesday, but Cloverleaf has a legit #1, but number 5 needs to improve quite a bit by the end of the season for them to advance. I thought they would be a top 20 team, but they are not there right now. They need to show well against Field. They are on a good path to make it through to Regional, but unless there is some improvement, I don't have them making it past that at this time. NE has Woodridge, Bay, $V$M, Poland Seminary, NDCL, Fairview, Salem, Field, Cloverleaf, Lake Catholic, Chagrin Falls....etc Cloverleaf will need to improve

West Liberty Salem and Poland Seminary my be a little under rated so far.

Milan Edison has an outstanding 1-2, but 4-5 is an issue for them.

Last edited:
Lakewood (Hebron) probably isn’t a top 10 team, but is an unranked team to watch. Right now they lack firepower up front, but they beat Jonathan Alder and Sheridan at McGowan. Their 5-7 are young and all finished within one second. It’s not unrealistic to think that at least one of them will show drastic improvement as the season progresses.

I would say they beat #11 and #17 and were not all that far back from #4 so I would say they should be somewhere on the ranking sheet. Young male runners can inprove quite a bit from early to late season. Firepower up front is nearly irrelevant when it comes to the meets that matter. It is all about #5. I like Lakewood's cluster at the 5-7 postions. That kind of clustering at those positions is way more important that who there #1 runner is. How good and closely clustered 5-9 are is a key factor in my mind. It shows a team on the rise and not just hanging on where one poor performance can knock you down.

Field beat Cloverleaf on Tuesday. To be Fair, Cloverleaf was without their normal #2, but you never know why that is. The good news for Cloverleaf is they were the only team Woodridge did not 15. The bad news is that Woodridge put 7 in before their #2. Field put 6 in Before their #4. With their normal #2, Cloverleaf beats Field, but not by much. Cloverleaf has to watch out for Crestwood too. Saturday will tell a lot at Boardman. As with 99% of teams, the back end of the Varsity needs to improve as the season progresses. I don't think at this point, Cloverleaf is over rated.

I totally disagree with Lakewood "Lacking Firepower Up Front". Their one beat Unioto's one in that meet, and their #2 finished right behind Unioto's one.

I totally disagree with Lakewood "Lacking Firepower Up Front". Their one beat Unioto's one in that meet, and their #2 finished right behind Unioto's one.
Yeah, they are good at 1 and 2, it's a 3-5 issue they have that will hurt them in the bigger meets with quality teams.

I mean that they probably don’t have anyone who is top 10-15 in the state. Unioto doesn’t either, but they put 6 in front of Lakewood’s 3. I’m not trying to discredit their front guys, they are certainly good. They will just need some of those younger guys to step up and tighten that pack. Regardless, it’s exciting to see a new team making some noise. Much to look forward to at Pickerington.

Yes definitely I get what you guys are saying. Lakewood’s three did have a bit of an off week from the week before (by being close to number 2) so that could’ve been the problem with the pack at Watkins

What do you think about Heath’s ranking?
Seems like they are appropriately ranked for now, may drop a spot or two this week. Unioto beat them at Hartford and Bay edged them at Tiffin. Really good team though and has a good chance to win at Pickerington.

How on earth is heath still ranked number 2? They are more points ahead of Bay than last week, and Bay beat them this week. Also, Unioto crushed them the first week of the season. Then week two they got crushed by Olentangy Orange. They haven’t won a meet yet this season. What do you all think?

How on earth is heath still ranked number 2? They are more points ahead of Bay than last week, and Bay beat them this week. Also, Unioto crushed them the first week of the season. Then week two they got crushed by Olentangy Orange. They haven’t won a meet yet this season. What do you all think?

At this point I would say Woodridge, Defiance, and Unioto are the top 3 teams. After that its Bay, Heath, West Liberty-Salem, and Akron St. Vincent St. Mary's.

That's only 2!
Bay is solid and I think I'd put them 3 and think they will give Unioto all they can handle at the end.
Defiance has such huge gaps once they are in a strong field, that I'm not sure where to put them now.

Sorry,
1. Woodridge
2. Unioto
3. Bay
4. West Liberty-Salem
5. Defiance- could be higher??
6. Heath
7. Madeira
8. Eaton
9. ASVSM
10. ???

Does NDCL have a different team that one of the voters knows about that the rest of us do not? Maybe the Boardman results were not available to everyone. Woodridge boys were pretty good at Boardman. #7 had a so so day, but otherwise pretty solid. Salem and Marlington snuck their number 1's into Woodridge's top 5. Going 1-7 in the JV race is ok too. I would think that Woodridge putting 13 in before NDCL's 4 might convince a voter to maybe not vote NDCL #1. That and maybe the 5 teams from Ohio that finished ahead of them might be an indication that at this point of the season, they aren't quite worthy of a #1 vote. Are they just flipping a coin? Maybe the football coach is doing the voting? Come on, take it half serious, it's not that hard.

Last edited: