State Rankings

For the most part the North Region looks like it'll play out fairly typical to what most would think: #1 Ignatius, #2 Jackson in D1 and #1 Walsh Jesuit in D2.

The East and South regions have their own threads - but the most interesting region is likely D2 West where Alter and Fenwick have been battling for the top spot. Carroll and CJ are nipping at their heels.

D1 West #1 seed race will be tight - have East and Beavercreek played? Do they play? Could come down to common opponents when voting on seeding. You'd have to think the GWOC schools would vote Beavercreek as #1 and the GMC schools would vote Lakota East.

In D-1, Lakota East hosts a tri-match next Saturday May 11 against Beavercreek and St. X. I've seen both East and Creek. If both teams play their best, I'd go with East, but it's close enough that either team could win.

In D-2, Fenwick has been clearly the best so far. It will be interesting to see how their second match against Alter goes on May 14. Carroll had a good hitter hurt. Not sure if he's back yet.

5/4 State Rankings:

Division 1:
1. Hilliard Darby (19) - 199
2. Mt Vernon (1) - 151
3. St Xavier - 145
4. Archbishop Moeller - 138
5. Gahanna Lincoln - 121
6. Beavercreek - 89
7. Elder - 89
8. Lakota East - 66
9. St Ignatius - 51
10. Jackson - 23
..... Olentangy - 10
..... Dublin Coffman - 3
..... Hilliard Bradley - 3
..... Olentangy Liberty - 3

Division 2:
1. St Charles (19) - 199
2. Bishop Fenwick (1) - 166
3. Archbishop Alter - 165
4. Walsh Jesuit - 109
5. Badin - 101
6. LaSalle - 96
7. Carroll - 77
8. Chaminade Julienne - 52
9. Bishop Watterson - 35
10. Briggs - 33
..... Archbishop Hoban - 20
..... Worthington Kilbourne - 17
..... Villa Angela-St Joseph - 13
..... Kent Roosevelt - 6

East Region
1. Darby - 50
2. Mt Vernon - 45
3. Gahanna Lincoln - 38
4. St Charles - 37
5. Bradley - 21
6. Watterson - 20
7. Jerome - 18
8. Olentangy - 15
9. O Liberty - 15
10. Dublin Coffman - 10

North Region
1. St Ignatius - 50
2. Jackson - 45
3. Walsh Jesuit - 40
4. Hudson - 33
5. Hoban - 28
6. Brecksville-BH - 22
7. Kent - 22
8. VASJ - 20
9. Brunswick - 9
10. Medina - 4

South Region
1. Moeller - 47
2. St X - 47
3. Elder - 41
4. Mason - 24
5. LaSalle - 22
6. Loveland - 22
7. Badin - 21
8. Fairfield - 10
9. Oak Hills - 10
10. Milford - 8

West Region
1. Beavercreek - 48
2. Lakota East - 43
3. Fenwick - 40
4. Alter - 38
5. Carroll - 31
6. Chaminade - 22
7. Northmont - 22
8. Fairmont - 16
9. Centerville - 5
10. Hamilton - 1

Last edited:
Coffman receiving votes in the state poll over Jerome who just beat them?
Badin higher in the state poll than LaSalle who just beat them?
Both teams ranked higher in the state poll are lower in the region poll - shows which is likely more credible.

Moeller and X tied for top ranking in South Region is big, though their match Friday will no doubt determine the #1 seed. Mason should have the #4 seed locked up, but will they go opposite Moeller - assuming Elder chooses to go in with St X?

Beavercreek and Lakota East play this weekend, winner likely to take #1 in the West. Alter and Fenwick play again this week or next which will determine #1 in D2.

The East is just a jumbled mess. Gahanna, Vernon, Bradley, Jerome, Olentangy and Liberty could all end up opposite of Darby if they so choose. All have the ability to come out as the East's #2 in D1.

If Moeller beats X would Elder get the 2 seed? Head to head Elder is 2-0. Could make for an interesting seed meeting.

Good info. FYI- Darby plays Gahanna next Tuesday in the OCC challenge. Haven’t seen Gahanna this year, should be a great match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Moeller beats X would Elder get the 2 seed? Head to head Elder is 2-0. Could make for an interesting seed meeting.

I think X would have to lose to Beavercreek and/or Lakota East, in addition to losing to Moeller, to drop below Elder. Will be interesting to see what happens there though. If X wins it's a moot point and they'll be #1 in the South.

Good info. FYI- Darby plays Gahanna next Tuesday in the OCC challenge. Haven’t seen Gahanna this year, should be a great match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that it won't be a great match, but doesn't the tournament start that weekend? If so, the seeds likely would already be set and from that standpoint wouldn't mean much.

Not that it won't be a great match, but doesn't the tournament start that weekend? If so, the seeds likely would already be set and from that standpoint wouldn't mean much.

Yes. Seeding takes place on the 13th so any regular season stuff after that won't matter in terms of seeding

Update to the 5/4 state rankings

5-4-19 STATE RANKING.PNG

What specifically was updated? Those look the same as the Rankings listed above?

Nothing major, but there are updates:

5/4 State Rankings:

Division 1:
1. Hilliard Darby (19) - 199
2. Mt Vernon (1) - 151
3. St Xavier - 145
4. Archbishop Moeller - 138
5. Gahanna Lincoln - 121
6. Beavercreek - 89
7. Elder - 89
8. Lakota East - 66
9. St Ignatius - 51
10. Jackson - 23
..... Olentangy - 10
..... Dublin Coffman - 3
..... Hilliard Bradley - 3
..... Olentangy Liberty - 3

Division 2:
1. St Charles (19) - 199
2. Bishop Fenwick (1) - 166
3. Archbishop Alter - 165
4. Walsh Jesuit - 109
5. Badin - 101
6. LaSalle - 96
7. Carroll - 77
8. Chaminade Julienne - 52
9. Bishop Watterson - 35
10. Briggs - 33
..... Archbishop Hoban - 20
..... Worthington Kilbourne - 17
..... Villa Angela-St Joseph - 13
..... Chillicothe - 8

East Region
1. Darby - 50
2. Mt Vernon - 45
3. Gahanna Lincoln - 38
4. St Charles - 37
5. Bradley - 21
6. Watterson - 20
7. Jerome - 18
8. Olentangy - 15
9. O’ Liberty - 15
10. Dublin Coffman - 10

North Region
1. St Ignatius - 50
2. Jackson - 45
3. Walsh Jesuit - 40
4. Hudson - 33
5. Hoban - 28
6. Brecksville-BH - 22
7. Kent - 22
8. VASJ - 20
9. Brunswick - 9
10. Medina - 4

South Region
1. Moeller - 47
2. St X - 47
3. Elder - 41
4. Mason - 24
5. LaSalle - 22
6. Loveland - 22
7. Badin - 21
8. Walnut Hills - 20
9. Fairfield - 10
10. Oak Hills - 10

West Region
1. Beavercreek - 48
2. Lakota East - 43
3. Fenwick - 40
4. Alter - 38
5. Carroll - 31
6. Chaminade - 22
7. Northmont - 22
8. Fairmont - 16
9. Chillicothe - 8
10. Centerville - 5

Noted changes:
-Chillicothe slipped into the final spot in the D2 poll with 8 votes over Kent with 6.
-Walnut Hills into the South Region poll at #8 with 20, pushing down Oak Hills and Fairfield both with 10 and Milford out.
-Chillicothe with 9 slides into the 9th spot in West Region, pushing out Hamilton and sliding Centerville down

Does anyone know why there were changes to the polls ?

This week and weekend's matches could be big for a lot of teams.

Chillicothe being ranked above Centerville is remarkable, just in a general sense based on program history.

Chillicothe being ranked above Centerville is remarkable, just in a general sense based on program history.

It really is sad how far Centerville and to an even more extent St Edward in the last 5-6 years. I know Centerville made a State Semifinal in 2016, but outside of that they haven't had much success. Also how many times has St Edward made the State Tournament in the last 5 years? Jackson seems to have taken over their spot as the 2nd best program in the North.

Moeller and X tied for top ranking in South Region is big, though their match Friday will no doubt determine the #1 seed. Mason should have the #4 seed locked up, but will they go opposite Moeller - assuming Elder chooses to go in with St X?

The crazy thing about D1 South is that for St X, Elder and Moeller, the best place to be is the #3 seed. Then you get to choose who to play.

What a wacky way to build out a bracket... Especially in a year where the regional finals are at Moeller, if Moe ended up as the #3 seed, they'd have home court advantage and likely pick to play Elder. (Not that Moe will likely be the 3 seed, though).

Most likely St. X stays 1, Moe 2, Elder 3... Elder will choose to go into the St X bracket and Moeller will have an easier path to State - how is that fair for the #1 seed to get a tougher path?

The crazy thing about D1 South is that for St X, Elder and Moeller, the best place to be is the #3 seed. Then you get to choose who to play.

What a wacky way to build out a bracket... Especially in a year where the regional finals are at Moeller, if Moe ended up as the #3 seed, they'd have home court advantage and likely pick to play Elder. (Not that Moe will likely be the 3 seed, though).

Most likely St. X stays 1, Moe 2, Elder 3... Elder will choose to go into the St X bracket and Moeller will have an easier path to State - how is that fair for the #1 seed to get a tougher path?
This is how it's done in every other team sport besides football and team wrestling. Because there are more teams in basketball and baseball, there are bigger brackets so the meetings usually take place in the Regional Semifinals and Finals. In volleyball's case, since they take 2 Regional winners from each Region you'll have this little quirk happen every now and then.

2017 #3 St X chose to play #1 Moe
2010 #3 St X chose to play #1 Moe

Really what it tells you is that the #1 seed isn't that much better than the #3/#4 seeds - otherwise both would avoid the #1 route.

This is how it's done in every other team sport besides football and team wrestling. Because there are more teams in basketball and baseball, there are bigger brackets so the meetings usually take place in the Regional Semifinals and Finals. In volleyball's case, since they take 2 Regional winners from each Region you'll have this little quirk happen every now and then.

2017 #3 St X chose to play #1 Moe
2010 #3 St X chose to play #1 Moe

Really what it tells you is that the #1 seed isn't that much better than the #3/#4 seeds - otherwise both would avoid the #1 route.

I know other OHSAA sports do this as well, doesn't mean it's right or makes sense. The #1 seed should have the advantage, they've earned it (and I'm not a St. X fan).

It is interesting because it doesn't always happen with he top seeds every year, but it also shakes down to other seeds as well. A straight up seeded bracket just seems more equitable to me. #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7 and all the way down.

I know other OHSAA sports do this as well, doesn't mean it's right or makes sense. The #1 seed should have the advantage, they've earned it (and I'm not a St. X fan).

It is interesting because it doesn't always happen with he top seeds every year, but it also shakes down to other seeds as well. A straight up seeded bracket just seems more equitable to me. #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7 and all the way down.

Part of the problem with a straight seeded bracket is that the teams are the one seeding everyone. If everyone knew where they would be slotted if the seeds "hold" so to speak, then you would see some brackets that are skewed to try to get a better matchup. Personally I like it and see no problem with it. If you're the higher seed, then you should be able to take care of business regardless.

Do you think the state bracket should be re-seeded so that the two best teams can't meet in the Quarterfinal or the Semifinals also - only in the Championship?

You could allow the #1 seed the opportunity to abstain as many times as they deemed necessary to help alleviate the issue.

To be the best you need to beat the best!! I don’t believe you can reseed. Heck in the past you could make an argument the top 3 teams in the state were from the South.

To be the best you need to beat the best!! I don’t believe you can reseed. Heck in the past you could make an argument the top 3 teams in the state were from the South.

:hello:

CK is not saying reseed.

he's saying:
#1 abstains - #2 picks their spot
back to #1 -
#1 abstains - #3 picks their spot
back to #1 - they pick to play in #2 or #3's side of the bracket
#4 picks their spot and so on , and so on .....

This year, the S1 is definitely at a disadvantage IMO. They would see Darby in the semis (assuming they both make it).

Of course, i get your point and agree, but i would rather be the #2 than the #1 this year.

:hello:

CK is not saying reseed.

he's saying:
#1 abstains - #2 picks their spot
back to #1 -
#1 abstains - #3 picks their spot
back to #1 - they pick to play in #2 or #3's side of the bracket
#4 picks their spot and so on , and so on .....
Not a bad thought, although if you let one team abstain, you'd have to then let everyone. Or potentially cap the number of times you could to 1.

This year, the S1 is definitely at a disadvantage IMO. They would see Darby in the semis (assuming they both make it).

Of course, i get your point and agree, but i would rather be the #2 than the #1 this year.

That fact alone could make the #3 rethink which seed they go after. X beat Moe tonight essentially locking up the #1 seed. Many would think Elder will take their chances against X since they're 2-0 h2h, but if they were to beat X they have Darby on their side. At the very least it gives you pause. Darby doesn't seem invincible but they haven't dropped a match in Ohio this year.

I'm pretty sure they can't. Could be wrong, but I think if they're elected as the #1 seed then their side of the bracket is in fact S1.

Pretty sure one of the west region teams did that in the past, so I'm pretty sure you can.

X could (and in my opinion should) pick the S2 bracket. Then Elder would also likely pick S2, though with Moeller eventually facing Darby if seeds hold.