State Finals

Archibold vs. Dayton Christian

I'll Take Archibald

Revere vs. Summit

I''ll take Summit

Medina vs. Moeller

Tossup.....I think Medina pulls this out. They are still upset losing last year vs. Beavercreek

Summit up 3-0 with 7 minutes to go. 4 straight titles and 5 out of 6. 1st in D2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Summit up 3-0 with 7 minutes to go. 4 straight titles and 5 out of 6. 1st in D2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The 1999 state championship was in Dll, but that was before dlll was in existence
Technically the 2nd Dll title with 5 dll titles

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Summit-Revere game was actually a pretty even game. Summit scored a free kick 5 mins into the game. Revere was trying to play catch up from there on out. Revere's best player also got injured during the game. Summit poured in 3 goals in the final 15 mins when Revere pushed numbers forward.

Summit-Revere game was actually a pretty even game. Summit scored a free kick 5 mins into the game. Revere was trying to play catch up from there on out. Revere's best player also got injured during the game. Summit poured in 3 goals in the final 15 mins when Revere pushed numbers forward.

It was interesting to see what Revere thought they could take advantage of against Summit. Their keeper was trying to get the ball out quickly off a drop kick and have their guys up top win the first ball, creating a breakaway situation if they got through. It looked like Summit noticed and corrected this in the second half, which is when it started to open up late. Certainly an entertaining match!

It did open up in 2nd half
Shots were 5-3 in 1st in favor of summit
In 2nd, they grew to 13-5 in sunnies favor

Shots on goal were 11-4 in favor of summit
Revere had edge on corners 3-1

Just amazing what Summit has been able to accomplish with the limited number of kids they have to choose from. Gotta be the coaching, to be going on this long against so many different levels of teams. I know of few coaches as beloved as Sievering by both girls and boys, and for sure he's proving it's for a reason.

Congrats again Summit.

Just amazing what Summit has been able to accomplish with the limited number of kids they have to choose from. Gotta be the coaching, to be going on this long against so many different levels of teams. I know of few coaches as beloved as Sievering by both girls and boys, and for sure he's proving it's for a reason.

Congrats again Summit.

I am impressed by Summit don't get me wrong they have had some great players, coaches and teams but they "attract" kids from about 6 counties and three or four high level clubs. Probably more impressive to see a public school like Medina win D1.

In the last few years Summit won with kids from Star, a kid who didn't play club soccer, kids who played soccer as a second sport, and over all very few high level club players. To me that's most impressive.

The DIII game was entertaining between Archbold and Dayton Christian. Archbold scored early and had the advantage the first 20 minutes, but DC came back and had the advantage for the next 20 minutes, scoring on a Penalty Kick. The first half was a fairly even 1-1 match.

Early in the second half, Archbold started to take the advantage again and DC committed several fouls. On one free kick from near the corner, Archbold managed a header into the net for the deciding goal. DC had 9 corner kicks in the second half, but on most of these Archbold packed all 11 players into the penalty box and DC never had a clean shot on goal the rest of the game.

There was a weird moment in the second half where a DC player went down while the play was stopped setting up for a free kick. The ref's back was turned, but it happened right in front of a linesman. After a long discussion an Archbold player was shown yellow.

A DC captain later got a yellow card for dissent, but besides those two moments it was a great game with excellent sportsmanship.

In the last few years Summit won with kids from Star, a kid who didn't play club soccer, kids who played soccer as a second sport, and over all very few high level club players. To me that's most impressive.

Yes it is impressive. I also would say the coach is one of the reasons kids play there...I just do not think it is fair to play the small school card with Summit as they have a pipeline of high-level club players coming from all over the tri-state. Nothing wrong with it. St Iggy does the same...and the multiple sport athletes are high level club players as well. No disprespect to the coaches and the kids they run a great program, but to say they only have a hundred kids to choose from is a bit misleading as they have probably had more high level club players than most D1 schools over the past 5-7 years. I do agree that the program, coaching and the style of play certainly has a lot to do with that trend. They certainly have had a nice run!

Last edited:
The 1999 state championship was in Dll, but that was before dlll was in existence
Technically the 2nd Dll title with 5 dll titles

Right, Chelsea's own Charlie Cooke getting that started. I remember seeing Grayson Sugarman dominate for Seven Hills in 1999 and thinking there was no way another team would beat them. I think Summit won the regional final that year 4-0 over Seven Hills.

Yes it is impressive. I also would say the coach is one of the reasons kids play there...I just do not think it is fair to play the small school card with Summit as they have a pipeline of high-level club players coming from all over the tri-state. Nothing wrong with it. St Iggy does the same...and the multiple sport athletes are high level club players as well. No disprespect to the coaches and the kids they run a great program, but to say they only have a hundred kids to choose from is a bit misleading as they have probably had more high level club players than most D1 schools over the past 5-7 years. I do agree that the program, coaching and the style of play certainly has a lot to do with that trend. They certainly have had a nice run!

Sorry, but I have to ask what you are basing this on. Summit undoubtedly has great players, but they are not the player superpower "pipeline" that you claim. CUP put out a tweet congratulating SEVEN of their CUP players on the Moeller team, vs. ONE Summit player as they competed in their respective state championships. Also, Summit has fewer First and Second Team League Players (MVC) than most their contemporaries. Summit has one Second Team Ohio, while most their competition in the late D2 tournament has a First Team, and maybe both a First AND Second Team State Player.

Coaching makes a big difference. Summit's players are coached to play together, and the coaching team appears to be one of the best in the state, at any level.

Sorry, but I have to ask what you are basing this on. Summit undoubtedly has great players, but they are not the player superpower "pipeline" that you claim. CUP put out a tweet congratulating SEVEN of their CUP players on the Moeller team, vs. ONE Summit player as they competed in their respective state championships. Also, Summit has fewer First and Second Team League Players (MVC) than most their contemporaries. Summit has one Second Team Ohio, while most their competition in the late D2 tournament has a First Team, and maybe both a First AND Second Team State Player.

Coaching makes a big difference. Summit's players are coached to play together, and the coaching team appears to be one of the best in the state, at any level.

Historically they have had a lot of top club players. Last year and the prior few years for sure. They have players from other clubs and pull from a large geographic area. It is a just a little different than say Mariemont.

Also- Hats off to this years team!!!!!

BTW- I would agree this team was not stacked and coaching and style of play certainly had a lot to do with it. I think very highly of their coach and believe they play a great style of soccer for high school.

Prior years they have been pretty stacked with top level club players.

Historically they have had a lot of top club players. Last year and the prior few years for sure. They have players from other clubs and pull from a large geographic area. It is a just a little different than say Mariemont.

Also- Hats off to this years team!!!!!

BTW- I would agree this team was not stacked and coaching and style of play certainly had a lot to do with it. I think very highly of their coach and believe they play a great style of soccer for high school.

Prior years they have been pretty stacked with top level club players.

Just curious, are the Summit players committed to play in college? If so, where are they headed?

Continuing this conversation...Tradition is a reoccurring theme in the teams that are usually in the finals. In some of these smaller school "powerhouses", it seems like once these programs get a reputation for being good that the top players congregate to these schools. It feels like it is the same 10 or so teams that constantly make the finals in all 3 divisions like Ignatius, Bay, Revere, Desales, Summit, etc. It is very impressive that public schools like Medina, Bay, Revere are continually able to compete at such a high level with a limited pool of talent to choose from. I think some communities are just able to build a tradition at certain sports and all the good athletes flock to that sport.

Public schools are able to "recruit" just as much. Open enrollment is allowed in Ohio. When programs are good, you always see players transfer in for a variety of reasons.

It's so easy to blame the privates on it. I grew up in an area that had 1 private school within a 1-2 hour radius. They never dominated anything. But, you guarantee that the public schools that had the good basketball, football, or soccer programs would always get those better players coming to them. One football program now has won 7 straight league titles (I think it's 7, could be 8), they were bottom league when I came through.

Continuing this conversation...Tradition is a reoccurring theme in the teams that are usually in the finals. In some of these smaller school "powerhouses", it seems like once these programs get a reputation for being good that the top players congregate to these schools. It feels like it is the same 10 or so teams that constantly make the finals in all 3 divisions like Ignatius, Bay, Revere, Desales, Summit, etc. It is very impressive that public schools like Medina, Bay, Revere are continually able to compete at such a high level with a limited pool of talent to choose from. I think some communities are just able to build a tradition at certain sports and all the good athletes flock to that sport.

Those communities have had a tradition of soccer that goes back 40 years. They are also communities where soccer has almost always eclipsed the popularity of football, a rare thing in NE Ohio.

Some of those names on those teams are second generation whose parents played at those schools and grandparents probably helped start things.

When you have that kind of groundwork you can keep a high level of excellence and attract good coaching and talent.