State Duals Discussion - Division III

bucksman

Regional competition is Saturday
Comment period for the qualifying coaches is next Sunday, coaches vote on seeds one week from Monday, and the brackets release for state next Tuesday

Region 17 (at Elmwood): Eastwood is the top seed and would seem to be the favorite for a state spot, as they have the best lineup coverage along with a few state-level kids. Delta, Milbury Lake, and Archbold are the next three seeds.

Region 18 (at Oak Harbor): Milan Edison is the favorite statewide and the obvious top seed. Ashland Crestview and Oak Harbor are the second and third seeds resepctively.

Region 19 (at Cuyahoga Hts): Waynedale is the top seed and Tuslaw the second seed. The year they get away from Rootstown at the regional level is the year the Rovers are slightly down from a lineup perspective. Mogadore and Independence are the next two seeds, solid dual meet teams in DIII but just aren't matching up with the first two teams here. Waynedale should get out, and might be able to get to the state final if opposite Milan Edison.

Region 20 (at Rootstown): South Range is the top seed, though they did not show well at the EOWL. Rootstown is the two seed. One of those two teams should qualify - if someone else does, color me shocked.

Region 21 (at Mapleton): Northmor is the top seed, and yet again will be trying to make their first dual team state tournament. Newcomerstown is the two seed, and returning state participant Marion Pleasant is the three seed. I'm thinking it comes down to Northmor and Pleasant for the state spot.

Region 22 (at Alexander): Barnesville, Martins Ferry, and West Muskingum are the top three seeds. Bidwell River Valley, who made it to dual team state last year, is the nine seed with West Jefferson the eight seed. This region of the state - as always - is a crap shoot.

Region 23 (at Brookville): Covington is the top seed, Legacy Christian is the second seed, Brookville is the third seed, Troy Christian is the fourth seed, and Miami East the fifth seed. This is an incredibly interesting region just because of how different the contending teams are constructed. Covington has a couple really good kids and decent enough lineup coverage; Legacy Christian has a group of really high end kids and zero lineup coverage (I think they have something like five forfeits per dual); Brookville has the best lineup coverage but the least high end talent; Troy Christian has questions in terms of their lineup availability, but if they have all their projected starters available they might have the right combo talent and lineup coverage to take it; while Miami East is similar to Covington

Region 24 (at Coldwater): Versailles, Allen East, and Mechanicsburg are the top three seeds. One of those three should clear to state.

Projecting state seeds, at least in my opinion

1 - obvious - Milan Edison
2 through 4 - Waynedale/Tuslaw, region 23, region 24
The back four seeds will really depend on who qualifies

Region 18-Gibsonburg if at full strength now which is the word now, I think should've probably been the 3 seed above oak harbor. They would give Crestview a run for their money. I believe that's a really close dual that could go either way.

Last edited:
Qualifying teams --
R17: Eastwood
R18: Milan Edison
R19: Waynedale
R20: South Range
R21: Benjamin Logan
R22: Shenandoah
R23: Brookville
R24: Versailles

Last edited:
What happened to Gibsonburg against Milan? They only had 1 ff against Genoa and against Milan they had 6. Thought maybe they were seeded to low and would possibly be able to put a little pressure on Milan but I was way off. Just not sure what the strategy was there. OH flipped the script completely from the last time they wrestled Crestview. Then they ran into a complete buzzsaw in Milan Edison in the finals. In the first 10 matches Edison won by fall 7x. That's pretty dominant

Beware of the results on the individual matches at Mapleton. There are many errors where they have the wrong kids winning matches. Kind of frustrating.

Beware of the results on the individual matches at Mapleton. There are many errors where they have the wrong kids winning matches. Kind of frustrating.
I seen a few where it said a kid won against another kid...by forfeit
Makes no sense.
One was Kyle Miller Garaway win by forfeit vs Ethan Dixon Coshocton.
Either Miller beat Dixon, or Coshocton forfeited. Can't be both

They are all over the place.
saw Richardson SRange beat fox Waterloo and Fox won 4-3. 132

walker malvern pinning sturgell ben Logan and Sturgell pinned walker

They are all over the place.
saw Richardson SRange beat fox Waterloo and Fox won 4-3. 132

walker malvern pinning sturgell ben Logan and Sturgell pinned walker
Same match also had 113 Pahanish SR losing but he won. Just got a confirmation email that the 2 matches were fixed though.

So I wonder if things are fixed on Baumspage then. I checked some teams on Jake's wrestling and the couple teams I looked at match what's on Baumspage

JakesWrestling does a data capture from BaumsPage. I do not know if the database does a re-capture if something was edited on Baums.

Baums was bad for results on Saturday at Cuyahoga Heights, a number o f matches were down with the wrong winners

Start some discussion on team seeding. Just a guess on my part..
#1: Milan Edison
#8: Shenandoah
#5: Eastwood
#4: Versailles
#3: South Range
#6: Benjamin Logan
#7: Brookville
#2: Waynedale

Your 1/2/3 look right. I am not as informed on the other teams (other than Eastwood) to have an informed opinion.