State Duals discussion - Division II

bucksman

I'll put a thread up for each of the three divisions with things moving into regional competition on Saturday.

Without saying, the regions are lopsided in terms of competition, but that was going to be somewhat a given based on the balance of power statewide in terms of geography.

R9 (at Marengo Highland): looks to be totally open, Bellevue is the top seed though I don't think they've been 100% healthy one time this season. Rounding out the top four seeds are Norwalk, Tiffin Columbian, and Licking Valley

R10 (at Brookside): Perkins is the returning champ, top seed and favorite. Next best team is the three seed Buckeye, who blew out the two seed Bay Village right after either the comment period or the voting deadline.

R11 (at Perry-Lake County): Aurora is the favorite, Lake Catholic is a very talented two seed, Geneva is the three seed (very balanced lineup but just doesn't have the talent at all to match the top two teams)

R12 (at Beachwood): Louisville is the favorite, Beaver Local is a very talented two seed (especially if fully healthy), SVSM is a dangerous three seed; Steubenville is another solid team at the four with Indian Creek down at the nine being talented in their own right (just knocked off Steubenville last week, might have been after the comment and/or voting periods though)

R13 (at Philo): West Holmes is the favorite with the Carrollton/New Lexington winner able to contest the final tightly. St. Clairsville is a solid team at the four

R14 (at Miami Trace): Miami Trace and Wilmington are the top two seeds

R15 (at Hamilton Ross): not sure how Dayton C-J is the top seed (their best wrestler Wortham has been out virtually the whole season), but they are; Monroe is the two; and the regional favorite/defending champion Hamilton Ross is the three. Wyoming the four and Franklin the nine

R16 (at Graham): Graham is the top seed and prohibitive favorite. Wauseon and London are the next two seeds, each would be competitive for a regional title in some other regions.

Looking at the state quarterfinals based on likely advancing teams.

There's a clear top three with Louisville, Graham, and Aurora in no particular order. I think Louisville is the most "complete" team for a dual meet setting, though Graham has the well-earned legacy of success boost in lay.

To me, I would project a West Holmes vs. Perkins 4/5 match

Then I think the other three regional champions are the last three seeds, and you're looking at blowouts in the quarters (possibly 10-4 match count type scenarios, or worse).

Most obvious teams of note likely to get displaced at the regional level are Lake Catholic, Beaver Local, and SVSM.

I have Aurora winning 35-33 (8 matches to 6) against Louisville. It will be interesting to see of Louisville has a 285. I noticed no one competed for them at that weight at EOWL. If that's the case, Aurora handles them for sure. I have Graham over Aurora 38-35 (7 - 7).

I have Aurora winning 35-33 (8 matches to 6) against Louisville. It will be interesting to see of Louisville has a 285. I noticed no one competed for them at that weight at EOWL. If that's the case, Aurora handles them for sure. I have Graham over Aurora 38-35 (7 - 7).

Pretty sure Louisville has a very capable 285. Not sure why he did not wrestle at EOWL. Maybe a little banged up?

Louisville's 285 was out with minor injury. He will be available by the state dual meet event if not this week. The 285 they do have is a bubble kid in terms of state qualification.

285 minor injury will be back by duals
Louisville takes 06, 13(on fire at moment) , 20, 32, 70, 95, 220, 285. 8 to 6 bonus points about even. Leps win

I'll put a thread up for each of the three divisions with things moving into regional competition on Saturday.

Without saying, the regions are lopsided in terms of competition, but that was going to be somewhat a given based on the balance of power statewide in terms of geography.

R9 (at Marengo Highland): looks to be totally open, Bellevue is the top seed though I don't think they've been 100% healthy one time this season. Rounding out the top four seeds are Norwalk, Tiffin Columbian, and Licking Valley

R10 (at Brookside): Perkins is the returning champ, top seed and favorite. Next best team is the three seed Buckeye, who blew out the two seed Bay Village right after either the comment period or the voting deadline.

R11 (at Perry-Lake County): Aurora is the favorite, Lake Catholic is a very talented two seed, Geneva is the three seed (very balanced lineup but just doesn't have the talent at all to match the top two teams)

R12 (at Beachwood): Louisville is the favorite, Beaver Local is a very talented two seed (especially if fully healthy), SVSM is a dangerous three seed; Steubenville is another solid team at the four with Indian Creek down at the nine being talented in their own right (just knocked off Steubenville last week, might have been after the comment and/or voting periods though)

R13 (at Philo): West Holmes is the favorite with the Carrollton/New Lexington winner able to contest the final tightly. St. Clairsville is a solid team at the four

R14 (at Miami Trace): Miami Trace and Wilmington are the top two seeds

R15 (at Hamilton Ross): not sure how Dayton C-J is the top seed (their best wrestler Wortham has been out virtually the whole season), but they are; Monroe is the two; and the regional favorite/defending champion Hamilton Ross is the three. Wyoming the four and Franklin the nine

R16 (at Graham): Graham is the top seed and prohibitive favorite. Wauseon and London are the next two seeds, each would be competitive for a regional title in some other regions.
All things considered health, injuries and eligibility Lake Catholic has my pick. 1 match can swing 12 points

Advancing teams --
R9: Bellevue
R10: Perkins
R11: Aurora
R12: Louisville
R13: West Holmes
R14: Miami Trace
R15: Hamilton Ross
R16: St. Paris Graham

Last edited:
Aurora beat Lakota Catholic 32-31, though they forfeited the last two matches as the dual meet was clinched after 195. Ungrady (152) being ineligible for the second half didn't help Lake Catholic. Aurora won a big match to start the dual at 106, and then some other close bouts.

R13 final is West Holmes vs. New Lexington
R15 final is Hamilton Ross closing in on another state berth, they're facing Wyoming in that one

Coaches comment period: Sunday
Coaches vote: Monday
Seed release: Tuesday by Noon

As far as what I think the seeds could/should look like ---
Aurora, Graham, and Louisville are the top three teams (they were listed in ALPHA order here). I think the order of the top three will be interesting. Graham has the advantage of legacy. When matching the three teams lineups, I have Louisville as a slight favorite over Graham, Graham as a slight favorite over Aurora, and Aurora possibly a narrow favorite over Louisville.

The other five teams are battling for the 4th and 5th spot to avoid the first three teams. Personally I think the Hamilton Ross and Miami Trace rosters are the most limited, but that will be up to the qualifying coaches to decide.

Louisville's 285 was out with minor injury. He will be available by the state dual meet event if not this week. The 285 they do have is a bubble kid in terms of state qualification.
I've been on yappi for a while, but I have a quick question. I'm confused about what the rules are concerning kids and injuries. I always thought if something happened in public it was fair game to mention. So "he was helped off the field, they wrapped an ice bag around his knee, and he was on crutches and didn't return" and "they stopped the match when he hurt his ankle, the medical staff attended to him, he finished the match, but he limped off the mat after losing and he had an ice bag around his ankle the rest of the evening" both are ok, but stating that a kid will be out of a future contest or was out of a contest that just occurred because of that injury or another injury (say one suffered in practice) was off limits. That's because a kid could miss a match due to injury, illness, discipline issue, death in the family, etc., things that are not public knowledge. Obviously I am wrong about that one. And relaying a published quote from a coach about a kid's injury and his possible return date obviously is ok.
Are the rules the same for all the forums? Or are the rules different for say football vs baseball vs wrestling?
Thanks!

I don't visit any other forum on Yappi. I always, "Err on the side of caution." Especially when it comes to hearsay or mentioning a kid by name...

Coaches comment period: Sunday
Coaches vote: Monday
Seed release: Tuesday by Noon

As far as what I think the seeds could/should look like ---
Aurora, Graham, and Louisville are the top three teams (they were listed in ALPHA order here). I think the order of the top three will be interesting. Graham has the advantage of legacy. When matching the three teams lineups, I have Louisville as a slight favorite over Graham, Graham as a slight favorite over Aurora, and Aurora possibly a narrow favorite over Louisville.

The other five teams are battling for the 4th and 5th spot to avoid the first three teams. Personally I think the Hamilton Ross and Miami Trace rosters are the most limited, but that will be up to the qualifying coaches to decide.

bucksman, what time will wrestling start on Sunday? I couldn't find that info on Baumspage.