State Dual results?

The formula for the 2021 state duals invitational was based on the underclassmen from a team's roster in the 2020 individual district tournament. State qualifier (1-4 at district) was 10 points, district placer (5 & 6) was 8 points, district qualifier (participant) was 6 points. Individuals could only earn one of the three point categories. That simple.

Maybe another way to add a level to the point system would be district consi-quarterfinalist 6pts, district qualifier 4pts. I feel like a district qualifier is getting too much weight in this system especially when we know in some sectionals it doesn't take but 0 or 1 win to make it to district. In my opinion someone that goes 0-2 at district doesn't deserve the same point value as someone who goes 2-2 or 3-2.

Assuming we get a postseason this year that could add some more availability to differentiate teams.

SC- 16
SP-12
SQ- 10
DP (5th/6th)- 8
D consi-quarter- 6
DQ- 4

Or does the system above give too much weight to a SC/SP when in reality in a dual they can only score a max of 6pts? So maybe the 10, 8, 6, 4 would be the way to go on it?

IDK. Just brain storming ideas. If anyone has actual suggestions instead of complaints feel free to share.

Last edited:
So do we wait for a year when St. Eds graduates 10 wrestlers in a season and then according to this criteria they will not be in the post season? Asking for a friend in Mason and Perrysburg

They have 6 seniors & 4 junior starters but will probably have enough coming back to qualify but I get your point. Maybe the coaches association expands it next year if we're not dealing with the pandemic at that point

Waynedale defeats Mogadore 40-27
#4 beats #1 by that score, so much for that seeding criteria. Yes, matchups are totally different in a team dual than in a individual tournament. Coaching and lineup placement become crucial when wrestling in a dual tournament.

Buckeye uses last-match pin from returning state qualifier Todd Allen at 285 to clear Bellevue 39-36.

Bellevue streamed it live on Facebook- they had some great matches around 182-195-220. Their 126 (ranked 8) picked up the win against the #4 wrestler. Good matches if anyone wants to watch.

I believe I also saw Legacy Christian beat Mechanicsburg 43-30

Bellevue streamed it live on Facebook- they had some great matches around 182-195-220. Their 126 (ranked 8) picked up the win against the #4 wrestler. Good matches if anyone wants to watch.

I believe I also saw Legacy Christian beat Mechanicsburg 43-30
Mechanicsburg 45
Legacy Christian 24
Mechanicsburg had it on you tube.

Legacy 43 Mechanicsburg 30

106 Eli Campbell wins by pin Morgan Powell
113 Dillon Campbell wins by Forfiet
120 Logan Attisano wins by Pin Brayden Stover
126 Braden Brown wins by Dec Trey Allen
132 Camron Lacure wins by MD Jesse Stroud 14-6
138 Boede Campbell wins by Dec Luke Stroud 3-0
145 Gavin Brown wins by Dec Weston Moyer 3-2
160 Ethan Cooper wins by pin Jonathan Byerly
170 Nick Alvarez wins by pin Aaron Conley

Legacy Forfiet 152,182-285

Last edited:
#4 beats #1 by that score, so much for that seeding criteria. Yes, matchups are totally different in a team dual than in a individual tournament. Coaching and lineup placement become crucial when wrestling in a dual tournament.
Seeding is based on a set of results from a tournament and therefore does not take into account “holes” in a lineup.

A stud can only score 6 in a dual where they score 20+ in a tournament.

Mogadore knew they were the underdog against Waynedale in a dual format based on where we had holes and a major kid out due to injury.

Mogadore had to try to go big and bump up their “studs” and take on higher weight class studs from Waynedale. It made for some good 1 on 1 matchups but the “go big or go home” didn’t work in their favor this time.

Not an excuse, just reality, a team with a full lineup of kids that aren’t fishes is probably up on Mogadore by 18-24 points before the match starts just due to some of our realities at certain weights. It’s impossible to give up 20+ points in a dual and expect to come back and win against a decent, and Waynedale’s case, good team.

Tournaments they do and will fair better than duals.

Seeding is based on a set of results from a tournament and therefore does not take into account “holes” in a lineup.

A stud can only score 6 in a dual where they score 20+ in a tournament.

Mogadore knew they were the underdog against Waynedale in a dual format based on where we had holes and a major kid out due to injury.

Mogadore had to try to go big and bump up their “studs” and take on higher weight class studs from Waynedale. It made for some good 1 on 1 matchups but the “go big or go home” didn’t work in their favor this time.

Not an excuse, just reality, a team with a full lineup of kids that aren’t fishes is probably up on Mogadore by 18-24 points before the match starts just due to some of our realities at certain weights. It’s impossible to give up 20+ points in a dual and expect to come back and win against a decent, and Waynedale’s case, good team.

Tournaments they do and will fair better than duals.
That's funny because the post right before yours shows a team that gave up 5 forfeits beat a decent or good team.

Mason and Perrysburg were two of the biggest surprises being left out, but obviously no scoring system is ever perfect.

I would say Ross being left out is a bigger surprise. I mean they have only won that district every year but what? one? This includes routine whippings of Wyoming who was chosen this year.

Here's the difference, I'd say most of the wrestlers for Legacy that are in the lineup will place at the state tournament, some-to-many of those pretty darn high. As a result they can better "cover" giving away matches then a Mogadore can.

Legacy 43 Mechanicsburg 29

106 Eli Campbell wins by pin Morgan Powell
113 Dillon Campbell wins by Forfiet
120 Logan Attisano wins by Pin Brayden Stover
126 Braden Brown wins by Dec Trey Allen
132 Camron Lacure wins by MD Jesse Stroud 14-6
138 Boede Campbell wins by Dec Luke Stroud 3-0
145 Gavin Brown wins by Dec Weston Moyer 3-2
160 Ethan Cooper wins by pin Jonathan Byerly
170 Nick Alvarez wins by pin Aaron Conley

Legacy Forfiet 152,182-285
-1 team point for unsportsmanlike conduct by MEch
There was no unsportsmanlike by Mechanicsburg... it was by Troy Christian vs Legacy.

Here's the updated list of qualifying teams as I have it

D1
Wadsworth
Marysville
Dublin Coffman
Brecksville
St. Edward
Elyria
LaSalle/Fairfield
Centerville

D2
Louisville
Beaver Local
SVSM
Steubenville
Buckeye
Ashland
Graham/Jonathan Alder
Licking Valley/Wyoming

D3
Rootstown
Milan Edison
Waynedale
Delta
Sandy Valley
Barnesville/Marion Pleasant
Versailles
Legacy Christian

Last edited:

D1
Wadsworth
Marysville
Dublin Coffman
Brecksville
St. Edward
Elyria/Olmsted Falls
LaSalle/Fairfield
Centerville

D2
Louisville
Beaver Local
Lake Catholic/SVSM
Steubenville/Minerva
Buckeye
Ashland/Wauseon
Graham/Jonathan Alder
Licking Valley/Wyoming

D3
Rootstown
Milan Edison
Waynedale
Delta
Sandy Valley
Versailles
Legacy Christian
Ashland 42 Wauseon 23

I would say Ross being left out is a bigger surprise. I mean they have only won that district every year but what? one? This includes routine whippings of Wyoming who was chosen this year.
This is a good point on Ross as well. I don't know much about D2 but have a lot of respect for both those schools. Have Ross and Wyoming wrestled this year?

This is a good point on Ross as well. I don't know much about D2 but have a lot of respect for both those schools. Have Ross and Wyoming wrestled this year?
No they have not. They met last year in the Regional Finals, but they normally don't schedule one another. Perhaps they can find a way to squeeze a dual in sometime in the next several weeks. That would be fun for both programs and their fans.

Last edited:

Sadly no. Hard to even gauge what the results would be this year. Wyoming has spent much of their time wrestling D2 schools while Ross has been hitting a more D1 schedule. Tough to compare like opponents when there isn't any or many

Sadly no. Hard to even gauge what the results would be this year. Wyoming has spent much of their time wrestling D2 schools while Ross has been hitting a more D1 schedule. Tough to compare like opponents when there isn't any or many

Yeah it is always interesting to look at records. I applaud going against stronger competition. You can always tell a difference come tournament time of who is battled tested. I feel like some teams really go out of their way to wrestle those tougher teams. I tend to ignore the records of some teams like Lasalle and Centerville because they wrestle tough schedules. Of course St. Eds and a few others are even at a higher level. You have to have the horses though to do that.

D1
Wadsworth
Marysville
Dublin Coffman
Brecksville
St. Edward
Elyria
LaSalle/Fairfield
Centerville

D2
Louisville
Beaver Local
SVSM
Steubenville
Buckeye
Ashland
Graham/Jonathan Alder
Licking Valley/Wyoming

D3
Rootstown
Milan Edison
Waynedale
Delta
Sandy Valley
Versailles
Legacy Christian
So has it been announced who the final 8 teams from each Division that will be attending the State Duals?