State Course Map Is Out

CC Track Fan

Map Link

1603997303533.png

For those that attended the JH meet on Saturday, it was pointed out to me that the direction of the loops may be different for the 5K course than what the JH experienced. For instance, I'm pretty sure the south loop will be run counter-clockwise for the HS. I believe the JH ran it clockwise. This change is necessary to keep the course from crossing itself as it leaves/enters the stadium.

Google Earth puts it at 315-320 meters. My contact who was at the meet on Saturday said he did not notice a big problem with that turn, but acknowledged that those races were not a state championship field either. He did say that they take the fence apart to get through there anyways, so they can always just roll up more fencing if it needs to be wider.

And really, it can't be any worse than the turns at the end of the drag strip with a big concrete wall that juts out making the turn even sharper.

NTR had a similar early turn, but it was less of a funnel and put the inside boxes at a pretty big disadvantage I thought.

This feels a little like Scioto Downs to me.

As Altor says, there is nothing like the 180 at the National Trails 1000 meters into the race. At least it doesn't look like the 180 on this course is that sharp. That sharp right turn is a lot worse in my view, than the much softer left turn at NT, which is also well over 500 meters into the course at NT. It does worry me. But I think we will just have to see what the course is like when it is run.

Last edited:
I watched three starts today. Guessing the fence opening at the first turn was 30 feet wide. In the girls race, they used maybe 10 feet of the space. The boys used approximately 20 feet, and there was plenty of room for more to go wide if they wanted. It looked busy, but didn't seem to cause problems for the runners, as far as I could tell.

Congrats to all the athletes today. Pretty exciting stuff for me!

I have my concerns for when it is at full capacity about getting in and out. However, with a few tweaks, the course itself can be really nice. Transitions from grass to pavement have to get better and the large gravel at the turn coming into the stadium needs addressed, but overall, nice for the time they had. If they can get some cameras on the outside loops and put them on the video boards, it could be real nice for older fans. Good restrooms. Good for awards.

I think Obetz will end up being a great venue. I was very impressed with the stadium and facilities. I thought the course was fair but clearly could be very fast in the right weather. Arriving, parking, and leaving was not an issue. And you could watch a good amount of the race either running around or watching the video boards and the runners pass by 4 times in the stands.

For the size of the crowd today it was perfect. For a full crowd, I would have some concerns.

I think they should consider keeping this time schedule for the future. If somebody wants to watch all 6 races (soon to be 8 races I hope) that's great, but most people do not, and they end up just crowding the venue for no good reason.

I think Obetz will end up being a great venue. I was very impressed with the stadium and facilities. I thought the course was fair but clearly could be very fast in the right weather. Arriving, parking, and leaving was not an issue. And you could watch a good amount of the race either running around or watching the video boards and the runners pass by 4 times in the stands.

For the size of the crowd today it was perfect. For a full crowd, I would have some concerns.

I think they should consider keeping this time schedule for the future. If somebody wants to watch all 6 races (soon to be 8 races I hope) that's great, but most people do not, and they end up just crowding the venue for no good reason.
I like this time schedule for the current number of divisions and races.

I wasn't there this weekend. What is the possibility of properly illuminating the course?

If there would ever be 4 divisions and 8 races, you'd either have to light up the course or adjust the time schedule to avoid issues with darkness. With or without "fall back," there simply isn't enough daylight to run 4 divisions with 3 hours elapsing between the start of each session like we had today. How close together can the races be run without putting the timers in a bind to finalize the race results before the next race begins? These races produce a high amount of close finishes to be reviewed. How much time between races is ideal to keep the awards ceremony from being squeezed into whenever there aren't a bunch of runners passing through the stadium during the ensuing race? They're probably not big deals, but they're the types of details to be taken into account. How close together can the races be run without creating the crowding issues that the current schedule improved upon? How early is too early for the 1st race to begin?

I think the time schedule has some issues. Having 2 races in an hour can be tough on a coach who coaches both teams. I had an issue with a boy runner at Regional, the next thing I knew I had a half hour to get my girls team to the line and I wasn't even to the bus yet. I understand keeping the schools together and being separated by hours can make for a long day. But you have to think there are many coaches who coach both genders.

I don't agree. It not so bad to have the meet last that long if the weather was like it was yesterday but remember it is Nov in Ohio. Imagine the day for the worker/officials/volunteers if it was high 45 windchill the 30's and some rain coming down.

Plus I think you would be surprised how many people want to watch more than one division.

I did not like the extra time. I planned on staying for D1, but it was just too much time in between.

They need to let everyone know that there is 5 min to the gun, 3 min, 1 min and then have a camera or two on the start and make more about the start.

I assumed the whole point of the schedule was to encourage people to not stay the whole day. As you say, it worked. It’s the best way they have to handle traffic, no matter where the race is held.

I assumed the whole point of the schedule was to encourage people to not stay the whole day. As you say, it worked. It’s the best way they have to handle traffic, no matter where the race is held.
I agree, Just don't want to see that every year. Not 100% sure I would have stayed anyway this year considering. I showed up after the D3 was done. Thought I'd just stay for D2 to be responsible. Sort of got caught up in the meet and thought I'd stick around for D1. I was doing well keeping my distance from people and thought I might stick around. Too much time so I left. Had over a 2 hour ride home and still got home before the girls were done.

I have my concerns for when it is at full capacity about getting in and out. However, with a few tweaks, the course itself can be really nice. Transitions from grass to pavement have to get better and the large gravel at the turn coming into the stadium needs addressed, but overall, nice for the time they had. If they can get some cameras on the outside loops and put them on the video boards, it could be real nice for older fans. Good restrooms. Good for awards.

They are putting a camera in the back park of the course for next year, to show more of the race...