State Championship Updates (Marion Local vs. Lucas)

I live in Columbus area. I'm not claiming those areas. The Pope did when he assigned Ohio counties to Ohio Dioceses. Those counties are in the Cincinnati Diocese, so they're SWO. Other territorial groupings mean nothing to me.

Diocese designations mean nothing to me.

Anna is in Ohsaa sw district, MSML in the NW district.

Diocese designations mean nothing to me.

Anna is in Ohsaa sw district, MSML in the NW district.
OHSAA are hardly representative of geographic identity. I know of some schools that are north of Central district schools but slotted to the SE.

NW Ohio,??? Puleeez..Next time I see a Toledo Blade in Coldwater will be the 1st time. From April though October it's Reds' country..Everybody knows that Mercer County is the East Coast of the mighty Wabash. You can find many of the same surnames on the varied GCL rosters..Same tribe ,different generations

Like I said in the Anna thread.
You’re welcome to post your running tally of outcomes based on whatever criteria you like. I’m sure the goofballs from the NEO would claim both Mansfield teams if they’d won, but that’s Bishop Thomas’s diocese so they’re NWO under the scheme I choose to use. Catholics have dominated the playoff era, so it seems like a logical and objective means of dividing up the state.

You’re welcome to post your running tally of outcomes based on whatever criteria you like. I’m sure the goofballs from the NEO would claim both Mansfield teams if they’d won, but that’s Bishop Thomas’s diocese so they’re NWO under the scheme I choose to use. Catholics have dominated the playoff era, so it seems like a logical and objective means of dividing up the state.
Diocese has zero to do with geography. Geographically I am right, you are not.

I think you skewed the data to fit your narrative, and I am probably right.
Well when I drive up to see a game at Notre Dame and Google maps haves me leave the civilized world in Bellfontaine and sends me up 117 to Thayer Rd to 30, those Confederate flags I see flying all over the place sure make me believe that quite a few folks in Auglaize County identify as being in the south.

I am right, you are wrong. What, are you 14?

Well when I drive up to see a game at Notre Dame and Google maps haves me leave the civilized world in Bellfontaine and sends me up 117 to Thayer Rd to 30, those Confederate flags I see flying all over the place sure make me believe that quite a few folks in Auglaize County identify as being in the south.

I am right, you are wrong. What, are you 14?
Thayer rd. ? You kidding me . Man you are deep in red neck country.

Great game plan, Flyers. Passing the ball wasn't working, so they ran. That is football. I commend their coach.

Thanks for all the kind words about my son, Logan Niswander. We think he could play at the next level. Unfortunately, we do not have many offensive highlights to put on his recruitment video. The talent is there, hope some coach out there can see it.

Great game plan, Flyers. Passing the ball wasn't working, so they ran. That is football. I commend their coach.

Thanks for all the kind words about my son, Logan Niswander. We think he could play at the next level. Unfortunately, we do not have many offensive highlights to put on his recruitment video. The talent is there, hope some coach out there can see it.

Lucas did have a good game plan. The first drive when they stopped ML and then the roughing the punter was early momentum killer. If Lucas gets the ball instead and then drives even for a couple first downs before punting back I think the game would have gotten to close for comfort for the ML side.
ML just has too much experience for any team beside the other MAC teams. 14 state finals in the last 20.. it is what it is.

Lucas did have a good game plan. The first drive when they stopped ML and then the roughing the punter was early momentum killer. If Lucas gets the ball instead and then drives even for a couple first downs before punting back I think the game would have gotten to close for comfort for the ML side.
ML just has too much experience for any team beside the other MAC teams. 14 state finals in the last 20.. it is what it is.
I never mentioned the Lucas game plan. However, if you want to, we can discuss it.

Marion Local is a D6 program playing down. They are also not your average D6 program. They are an absolute powerhouse.

In saying that, Lucas running the ball every down, even on 4th and 6 (after recovering an onside kick), was not going to work (45 carries at 1.6 per). It was evident EARLY that ML was controlling the LOS. We could not get much going at all on O. A couple first downs, then stall. However, the Lucas O was capable of so much more. Out of the gun, running RPO, they moved the ball with relative ease, popping off a long run in the process. I will forever believe, we go to that offensive set in the late first, early second quarter, that game would have been a totally different result. I am not saying Lucas would have won, but they would have made it close. The call on the punt (which looked tipped) was a killer. The fumble call (no fumble) was a killer. The holding call before that (no hold) was a killer. Lucas did not get any breaks. I credit the Local D. Their line was very dominate. They exploited a kid from Lucas who was forced to play due to injury. They ran the ball exceptionally well. They bent a little on D, but didn't break. They deserved the win. Hats off to them.

Last edited:
Doing what? ML's 3 grade male enrollment is 105 (with CB it is 111). How are they not a D7 school?
Agreed. I don't understand the argument when the numbers show they clearly are within the limits of D7 enrollment even with adjustment for CB.

I don't understand what you mean or what the Local enrollment is?

He means Marion Local’s enrollment. That is, ML should never play in D7 because they are somehow not D7. I don’t get it either, but I’m 99% that’s what he means.

Agreed. I don't understand the argument when the numbers show they clearly are within the limits of D7 enrollment even with adjustment for CB.

It would be great if a school could choose there division. On years that schools believe they had a strong team, that they could request to move up a division, and not forced to play in the division dictated by the number of students. This was not a year that Marion would want to move up, but there have been some in the recent past.

It would be great if a school could choose there division. On years that schools believe they had a strong team, that they could request to move up a division.
In reality, would any coach pursue this? I believe a coach with an extremely strong team would be licking his chops thinking of a state championship in the division his team is assigned. He wouldn't risk losing, particularly in the early rounds, in the playoffs simply to see how well his team stacks up against better competition. I agree that it sounds like a cool option - a great concept for discussion purposes - but would probably rarely, if ever, actually be put into practice. I don't mean to be harshly critical of your view on the issue, but I don't see moving up actually being chosen.

The numbers say they are D7. I am not sure how one disputes that except If they are just trying to make themselves feel better that they some how unfairly got beat
MSML is D7 from time to time. This is no surprise.

In reality, would any coach pursue this? I believe a coach with an extremely strong team would be licking his chops thinking of a state championship in the division his team is assigned. He wouldn't risk losing, particularly in the early rounds, in the playoffs simply to see how well his team stacks up against better competition. I agree that it sounds like a cool option - a great concept for discussion purposes - but would probably rarely, if ever, actually be put into practice. I don't mean to be harshly critical of your view on the issue, but I don't see moving up actually being chosen.
I wonder if any states have that option ? I disagree with your view, I think a team that has won quite a few state titles like a ML in football or Minster girls in xc might exercise that option.