State Championship Updates (Anna vs Springfield Local)

serpico

Was the servers picnic actually held in Maria Stein?

I first went to this event in 1975 or 1976 and it was then held on the grounds of the St. Charles Seminary in Carthagena, Ohio along U.S. Route 127. Close to Maria Stein, but definitely not IN the town of Maria Stein.
Fishing for catfish with livers provided by the brothers!

boater

Probably a German sounding name and a look like your fifth great grandfather was a ditch digger on the Miami & Erie. Don't ask Father Schnipke though. He's a missionary and his province is everything east of the Mississippi, lol.
LOL I believe the ditch diggers were more of the Irish catholic persuasion not German.... we did have some Mercer county ( born & bred ) priests - later in the mid to late 70's and early 80's, after I had moved on - Father John Hoying and Fr Rick Nieberding - God rest their souls, good folks, especially Father Rick - I know he was at my folks dinner table quite often.

jmog

Centerburg, OH is the geographic center of the state. Anna is almost straight west of Centerburg, but is slightly north.

So, if Ohio was divided into 4 quadrants (NE/NW/SE/SW) Anna would be in the NW, not the SW.

boater

Was the servers picnic actually held in Maria Stein?

I first went to this event in 1975 or 1976 and it was then held on the grounds of the St. Charles Seminary in Carthagena, Ohio along U.S. Route 127. Close to Maria Stein, but definitely not IN the town of Maria Stein.
You know that does sound familar - but it was a VERY Long time ago!!