• Canton/Massillon

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Somewhere Else

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those asking for a rotation around the state don’t realize that a venue is NEVER going to bid if they are only going to host every four years. It’s just too much work not to have at least a couple year consecutive commitment.

Actually, that would be Centerburg.
Yeah I misinterpreted a formula that was actually population center, not geographic. And of course the population center changes regularly, by changes in method and moving population.

I'm good with title games in Centerburg. Would definitely be standing-room only ;)

I I'm just surprised none of the MAC schools never built a dome. Akron was probably the best candidate when they were replacing the Rubber Bowl.

And Akron would still be the only FBS school without a win this season. Afraid to admit I have a degree from there.

With all of the teams local to the Northeast and the good weather forecast. I would expect very good crowds for the State Final games this year.

I've been fortunate enough to have my boys play at all four venues. As a fan I liked Massillon the best. Plenty of parking and great tailgating. Great atmosphere as a fan. My boys on the other hand, say that nothing compares to running out onto the turf at the Shoe. OSU also did a great job with providing an area to meet the team after the game. Cantor's new field is cool but sucks for the fan. Parking sucks and no tailgating "allowed" by rule. Standing outside the locker rooms by the busses to congradulate the boys is not desirable. You would think they could provide an area somewhere. All that said, I'll go to Canton again this year and cheer the boys on and have a good time doing it.

When it comes to the state football finals, Canton and the Ohio High School Athletic Association have basically been dating for the past three years.
OHSAA executive director Jerry Snodgrass would like something closer to a marriage, whether it's with Canton or Columbus.
"My goal is to lock in something longer term," said Snodgrass, who was in town Monday to speak at the Hall of Fame Luncheon Club meeting at Tozzi's on 12th. "I don't want to be doing it (year by year) every year."

I don't really care where it's at. Ive been up north three times and it's a cool venue but... I wish Columbus had a good place to have the games

That's clearly what the OHSAA would prefer.

I read the same. Translated as we would love Columbus, but we can’t hold a gun to someone’s head and force someone to do it.

One other reason for down attendance (not ticket prices, location or weather) is that outside of the small number of people who are part of the Yappi community, the general population just doesn’t care.

Just stop....Canton does an excellent hosting these games. I did really enjoy the Piqua location for the semis.....that’s a real nice stadium....folks just need to realize that not every stadium puts a bid in to host, and we should all be happy that someone does....quit whining about location - the kids don’t care....and that’s all that matters.

I've been fortunate enough to have my boys play at all four venues. As a fan I liked Massillon the best. Plenty of parking and great tailgating. Great atmosphere as a fan. My boys on the other hand, say that nothing compares to running out onto the turf at the Shoe. OSU also did a great job with providing an area to meet the team after the game. Cantor's new field is cool but sucks for the fan. Parking sucks and no tailgating "allowed" by rule. Standing outside the locker rooms by the busses to congradulate the boys is not desirable. You would think they could provide an area somewhere. All that said, I'll go to Canton again this year and cheer the boys on and have a good time doing it.

I hated Massillon. Had assigned seats when buying tickets to all six games. The assigned area for each seat at Massillon must have been 10 inches wide at most. Average football coach/fan in those weats (while wearing thick winter coats) had to be at least 16 inches. You could never fit into your row if you were not early (and if you drove from Canton you were not early) so you had to find another seat somewhere.

Only in Ohio do we have national power Ohio State, two NFL teams, and we play the championship games at a high school field
This is what they call in journalism school "minimization for effect."

Can understand not liking the geographic location of Canton, but that is the Professional Football Hall of Fame field. You know that no one else has that, right? Anywhere. In the world.

Only in Ohio do we have national power Ohio State, two NFL teams, and we play the championship games at a high school field
- It would look funny if Texas had national power Ohio State.
- Debatable we have two NFL teams. Some would say "three." Some would say "none."
- The NFL HOF for some reason chose not to locate in either of those three cities.
- Neither Columbus, Cinci nor Cleveland appear to be all that important to the history of the sport.

You would move Gettysburg to Lancaster because it would be more centralized? To Pittsburgh or Philly because they're bigger towns?

We play the community championship at a community stadium which has a history pertinent to the game. That's better exposure for the game and for the state. Columbus shows no interest in making the event, an event. It's an after thought to them.

Makes sense to me we hold the championships in Canton-Massillon, regardless I have to drive a bit further.

I hated Massillon. Had assigned seats when buying tickets to all six games. The assigned area for each seat at Massillon must have been 10 inches wide at most. Average football coach/fan in those weats (while wearing thick winter coats) had to be at least 16 inches. You could never fit into your row if you were not early (and if you drove from Canton you were not early) so you had to find another seat somewhere.

In other words you prefer GA. So do I. For that exact reason. No matter the venue. Btw Benson has bucket seats which is very nice.

I agree if C-bus had a 20k venue that would fine, maybe retro Crew for finals. The Shoe however or either pro stadium are horrible venues for hs football. Further from field and the feel of a poorly attended scrimmage. Jmo.

That is true. We always bought seats for our younger kids in our rows and then they would go sit with the students. Gave us extra room.

In other words you prefer GA. So do I. For that exact reason. No matter the venue. Btw Benson has bucket seats which is very nice.

Can't complain about Benson stadium. It is top notch. They just need to clean up the parking situation and not limit the time prior and after the game. After driving close to 4 hours it is nice to stretch out eat some sandwiches and have a couple drinks with friends prior to the game. Bringing the entire family, you can't afford tickets and eating in the stadium. Same reason the kids have a one item limit at a Reds game.