State Champions from all divisions and Harbin rank for playoffs since 1999.

Protect the Nest

Below are the state champs Harbin rank/seed they had to start the playoffs. 1999 was the start of the current 8 team per region playoff system. 2013 was the start of Division 7.

All time rank/seed percentage that won state.
#1 - 54 times the #1 seed won state (43%)
#2 - 31 times the #2 seed won state (25%)
#3 - 20 times the #3 seed won state (16%)
#4 - 6 times the #4 seed won state (5%)
#5 - 8 times the #5 seed won state (6%)
#6 - 3 times the #6 seed won state (2%) 2006 Marion Local D6, 2008 Alter D4, 2012 Akron SVSM D3
#7 - 3 times the #7 seed won state (2%) 2001 St Ignatius D1, 2006 Piqua D2, 2018 St Edward D1
#8 - 1 time the #8 seed won state (< 1%) 2004 St Henry D5

Division 1 Rank
#1 - 6
#2 - 7
#3 - 4
#4 -
#5 - 1
#6 -
#7 - 2
#8 -

Division 2
#1 - 7
#2 - 10
#3 - 1
#4 -
#5 - 1
#6 -
#7 - 1
#8 -

Division 3
#1 - 12
#2 - 3
#3 -
#4 - 3
#5 - 1
#6 - 1
#7 -
#8 -

Division 4
#1 - 8
#2 - 5
#3 - 4
#4 -
#5 - 2
#6 - 1
#7 -
#8 -

Division 5
#1 - 10
#2 - 1
#3 - 5
#4 - 2
#5 - 1
#6 -
#7 -
#8 - 1

Division 6
#1 - 10
#2 - 5
#3 - 3
#4 -
#5 - 1
#6 - 1
#7 -
#8 -

Division 7
#1 - 1
#2 -
#3 - 3
#4 - 1
#5 - 1
#6 -
#7 -
#8 -

Was wondering how many #7 and #8 seeds won state title.

That 2004 st Henry team was not typical 8 seed. They were 9-1 and second in the mac. OOC teams went 3-17, LCC and Sidney Lehman.

That was when the MAC was unbalanced and had an open week all season so they had to take what they could get.

The unbalanced lead then to add Anna, then a very good parkway team finishing 8-2 , winning their lone OOC games vs a 5-5 team,missing the postseason lead the league to do their current schedule rotation giving everyone OOC in week one and two

That 2004 st Henry team was not typical 8 seed. They were 9-1 and second in the mac. OOC teams went 3-17, LCC and Sidney Lehman.

That was when the MAC was unbalanced and had an open week all season so they had to take what they could get.

The unbalanced lead then to add Anna, then a very good parkway team finishing 8-2 , winning both OOC games, missing the postseason lead the league to do their current schedule rotation giving everyone OOC in week one and two
Thanks Voice didn’t know the specifics.

Interesting 15 times a seed 5-8 won a title since goin to 8 on 1999. Not quite 1/year but significant enough to prove the OHSAA did the right thing to expand.

Don't remind me. St. Henry came to Pleasant in week 11 and handed the seniors on that Spartan team the only loss they ever experienced on "The Tundra". That included when they were in the 7th and 8th grade teams. .

Don't remind me. St. Henry came to Pleasant in week 11 and handed the seniors on that Spartan team the only loss they ever experienced on "The Tundra". That included when they were in the 7th and 8th grade teams. .
Yep. That was SH only close game in the playoffs. Their nexf was a 2td spread in the semi finals maybe before knocking of the poll champion, clear Creek

Great post. This should slam the door on the "expand the playoff qualifiers" talk or the "eliminate regions" talk.

88% of the time, one of the Top 4 seeds in their region wins the state title.

How exactly is the current playoff system broken?

Great post. This should slam the door on the "expand the playoff qualifiers" talk or the "eliminate regions" talk.

88% of the time, one of the Top 4 seeds in their region wins the state title.

How exactly is the current playoff system broken?
Its not, but 15 times in 20 years is significant enough to say that it was the right move going from 4 to 8.

Its not, but 15 times in 20 years is significant enough to say that it was the right move going from 4 to 8.

I agree with 8 teams in. There was another thread saying that the OHSAA was considering 12. I'm a big believer in "earning" your way in. That's the magic of HS football as opposed to every other sport.

I agree with 8 teams in. There was another thread saying that the OHSAA was considering 12. I'm a big believer in "earning" your way in. That's the magic of HS football as opposed to every other sport.
Earning your way in is great when you play in a conference that's weak. Not so much when you play in the MAC. Most years there are mid tier MAC schools that would compete very well in the playoffs until they run into a top tier MAC school.
Those extra playoff games can do wonders for turning a program around!

Earning your way in is great when you play in a conference that's weak. Not so much when you play in the MAC. Most years there are mid tier MAC schools that would compete very well in the playoffs until they run into a top tier MAC school.
Those extra playoff games can do wonders for turning a program around!

That’s the pros and cons of playing in the MAC. I agree with you, but no one outside of the MAC has empathy for those teams. And I mean that with complete respect.

That’s the pros and cons of playing in the MAC. I agree with you, but no one outside of the MAC has empathy for those teams. And I mean that with complete respect.
I'm not looking for empathy.

Why does success beget success? One reason is extra practice time. When schools like Coldwater and Marion Local keep practicing for 5 weeks each season they are working with the underclassmen as much as with the Seniors. When utilized properly, those extra weeks of practice each year adds a lot to a program.

I'm not looking for empathy.

Why does success beget success? One reason is extra practice time. When schools like Coldwater and Marion Local keep practicing for 5 weeks each season they are working with the underclassmen as much as with the Seniors. When utilized properly, those extra weeks of practice each year adds a lot to a program.

I agree. They have that advantage over almost every non-MAC school. And the middle tier and even lower tier teams have the advantage of competing with those teams weekly during the season, making their programs stronger. When they do get to the postseason, they usually always make some noise.

I would much rather be a state title contender every 10 years than a 2nd round exit every year. That’s the benefit of playing in the MAC. You should embrace that, not too many teams have that luxury.