Starting earlier than even I predicted - DESTRUCTION OF THE OLYMPIC MOVEMENT

JAVMAN83

A lot of powerful forces are at work that will destroy the Olympics as we've known it for the past 124 years. Since the beginning in 1896, the US collegiate system has provided tge vast majority of Olympic athletes from the US & have provided tge training for many non-US participants. That is all threatened now by shortsighted college administrators. They see only their own dollars, but don't see the long-term repercussions upon a whole lot of others over many decades.

So ends the Modern Olympic Games...

The survival of many colleges and universities is in question currently. Athletics is currently a very reasonable expense to put on the chopping block, especially those that have a negative cash flow (which is most).

Hyperbole alert!
While I would prefer to be wrong in my view of things as I've participated & enjoyed track & field all my life, and by extension the Olympic movement, I don't think my words are hyperbole. I wish they were...I really do. However, I've been telling my family that I think we are only at the beginning of "The Great Reset", as I view it. COVID is only the early stage of woes to come. Sorry to sound like such a downer, but Ive seen little reason for optimism.

Even before COVID you could find some very pessimistic predictions regarding the number of colleges and universities that would close in the next decade. COVID will no doubt speed up that process. Schools will be looking very critically at their budgets in an effort to survive. The effect this might have on Olympic sports will be somewhere on the list of the unfortunate results of these changes. Nothing is constant except change.

As far back as you can probably look, Colleges have had track and field and other Olympic Sports. Money was a thing back in the beginning too. The new college presidents are more like Egyptian Emperors that have to make their pyramid bigger and better than the last one. Also, the money spent on football for 90% of schools is dooming them.

As far back as you can probably look, Colleges have had track and field and other Olympic Sports. Money was a thing back in the beginning too. The new college presidents are more like Egyptian Emperors that have to make their pyramid bigger and better than the last one. Also, the money spent on football for 90% of schools is dooming them.
I agree, the boom has been over for awhile now so here comes the bust.

Although we frequently differ, I'm in agreement with your assessment on this matter.