Stark County Banter 2019 (2)

As posted by Elderfan2002: Any answers??? Anyone????

I'm trying to figure out how Massillon won the AP Press state voting in 1954 having lost to the #2 Alliance team 19-7. Notice the Elder Panthers at 9-0 sitting all the way down at #10. Elder had 2 1st team all state selections and 1 2nd team all state. One of Elder's all state players was Richard Royer whose grandson is Elder's star TE Joe Royer this year and headed to Ohio St. Elder's 2nd team all state player Dan James(went on to Ohio St. and played for Bears and Steelers) grandson is Jacob James, Elder's offensive tackle heading to Ohio St.). Elder's 1954 team also had Richard Selcer who went on to QB at Notre Dame and End Joe Schaffer who went on to play at Tennessee and the Buffalo Bills.

AP State Poll:
1. Massillon (9-1) (UPI, INS State Champion) – defeated Canton McKinley, Mansfield; lost to Alliance
2. Alliance (9-1) – defeated Massillon; lost to Canton McKinley
3. Canton McKinley (8-2) – defeated Springfield, Alliance; lost to Massillon
4. Mansfield (9-1)
5. Cleveland Cathedral Latin (10-0)
6. Youngstown Rayen (9-0)
7. Lancaster (9-0)
8. Jackson (9-0)
9. Springfield (8-2) – lost to Canton McKinley
10. Cincinnati Elder (9-0)
All-Time Record: 358-124-28
Series Record vs. Canton McKinley: 29-25-5
Noteworthy Items: Massillon (9-1) captured the state title, in spite of an early 19-7 loss to No. 2 Alliance (9-1), which snapped the Tigers’ 25-game winning streak. The Tigers had defeated No. 3 Canton McKinley (8-2) 26-6, rolling up over 400 yards of offense. They also beat No. 4 Mansfield (9-1) 18-0, whereas Alliance lost 26-6 to Canton McKinley. The Bulldogs also lost to unranked Warren Harding 7-6.

As posted by Elderfan2002: Any answers??? Anyone????

I'm trying to figure out how Massillon won the AP Press state voting in 1954 having lost to the #2 Alliance team 19-7. Notice the Elder Panthers at 9-0 sitting all the way down at #10. Elder had 2 1st team all state selections and 1 2nd team all state. One of Elder's all state players was Richard Royer whose grandson is Elder's star TE Joe Royer this year and headed to Ohio St. Elder's 2nd team all state player Dan James(went on to Ohio St. and played for Bears and Steelers) grandson is Jacob James, Elder's offensive tackle heading to Ohio St.). Elder's 1954 team also had Richard Selcer who went on to QB at Notre Dame and End Joe Schaffer who went on to play at Tennessee and the Buffalo Bills.

AP State Poll:
1. Massillon (9-1) (UPI, INS State Champion) – defeated Canton McKinley, Mansfield; lost to Alliance
2. Alliance (9-1) – defeated Massillon; lost to Canton McKinley
3. Canton McKinley (8-2) – defeated Springfield, Alliance; lost to Massillon
4. Mansfield (9-1)
5. Cleveland Cathedral Latin (10-0)
6. Youngstown Rayen (9-0)
7. Lancaster (9-0)
8. Jackson (9-0)
9. Springfield (8-2) – lost to Canton McKinley
10. Cincinnati Elder (9-0)
All-Time Record: 358-124-28
Series Record vs. Canton McKinley: 29-25-5
Noteworthy Items: Massillon (9-1) captured the state title, in spite of an early 19-7 loss to No. 2 Alliance (9-1), which snapped the Tigers’ 25-game winning streak. The Tigers had defeated No. 3 Canton McKinley (8-2) 26-6, rolling up over 400 yards of offense. They also beat No. 4 Mansfield (9-1) 18-0, whereas Alliance lost 26-6 to Canton McKinley. The Bulldogs also lost to unranked Warren Harding 7-6.

GREAT RESEARCH!!!!

Why did Massillon get #1?

Great Point!!!

(and I thought I was done for year)

GREAT RESEARCH!!!!

Why did Massillon get #1?

Great Point!!!

(and I thought I was done for year)

Apparently because they played the #2,3,&4 and won 2 of them. And Mckinley spoiled Alliance's season. Had that game not been so lopsided, and ditto Massillon > Mckinley week 10, Alliance would have a good claim.

I'm sure Elder had a great team but were 5-5, 4-5, 4-5 the previous 3 seasons so probably had very little state acclaim, fair or not. For good measure Massillon immediately scheduled them and won decisively in 55 & 56.

Apparently because they played the #2,3,&4 and won 2 of them. And Mckinley spoiled Alliance's season. Had that game not been so lopsided, and ditto Massillon > Mckinley week 10, Alliance would have a good claim.

I'm sure Elder had a great team but were 5-5, 4-5, 4-5 the previous 3 seasons so probably had very little state acclaim, fair or not. For good measure Massillon immediately scheduled them and won decisively in 55 & 56.

great research - man you guys know your stuff!

Since you, THESHADOW knows, Central Catholic won plaoff State Championships a few times. Were the Crusaders ever AP State Poll Champions those years? McKinley has won three State playoff Championships in Division 1. In 1981, Cincinnati Moeller was the AP Poll Champion, but McKinley defeated them 13-0 to win Stark County's very first football State Championship. In 1997, McKinley was named AP poll state champ and went on to win the Playoff State Championship against Moeller again, 34-16. But the following year in 1998, McKinley was NOT the AP Poll champ, Upper Arlington was,, but THEE BULLDOGS won yet another State Playoff Championship by defeating Cincinnati St. Xavier 33-10 in Massillon for it's third State Championship. So in the Modern Era (playoffs), McKinley would only have 1 State Champion instead of 3 if the decider were AP Polls. I'm thinking Central would not have as many as they do, either, but instead less deserving schools based upon media hyperbole (which ALWAYS decides poll champions). Conversely, Massillon has 2 AP poll champions during the Modern Era (playoffs) who both went on to lose in the playoffs, thus having championship credentials nullified by reality. These are just some reasons AP Poll titles have no official status. Very often, especially in D1, the poll champ loses in the playoffs.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Could you provide the info on location of the AP poll voters and how they voted?

I'm sure Massillon had a great team, but as proven time and time again, since the bias of the AP Poll era, they are 0-48.

AP Poll: 24 of 50
Playoff 0 of 48

LaSalle was 4-5 last year, and Massillon was coming off of a narrow loss in the state title game, to the 3 time defending champions.

Massillon was 14-0 this season, and LaSalle had 2 losses. Clearly Massillon was the better team.

For good measure LaSalle got to play them, and promptly beat them by 17 points.

Yawn. You don't have to like the pre-playoff era it's a free country. Take it up w/ DB135 on the other thread if you want to continue that age old pissing contest, this is a Stark County banter thread. Once again congrats on your 4th title against 0 defeats, proceeding 1 previous playoff win in school history. Pretty cool.

Yawn. You don't have to like the pre-playoff era it's a free country. Take it up w/ DB135 on the other thread if you want to continue that age old pissing contest, this is a Stark County banter thread. Once again congrats on your 4th title against 0 defeats, proceeding 1 previous playoff win in school history. Pretty cool.

Ir was a scam, and the last 48 years prove it, Over and over and over again!!!

Your playoff titles are a scam and your entire history proves it bing bang boom. ?

Leadership schollies... :ROFLMAO: Gotta love you cincy fish eaters.

Your playoff titles are a scam and your entire history proves it bing bang boom. ?

Leadership schollies... :ROFLMAO: Gotta love you cincy fish eaters.

34-17 wasn't a scam, it was a beatdown of an overrated, overmatched opponent.

Hope you enjoyed your drive home.

Maybe Coach Moore can come down to LaSalle and help some more players move north, to realize what winning nothing means.