Votes: 2 10.0%

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Rate and review the movie "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"

The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more in the final chapter of the Skywalker saga.

Just got back from my showing, wanted to share my thoughts while they were still fresh. As critics have stated, the movie tries to do a lot, and for the most part that's true though not as much as I was expecting. It's also about ten minutes shorter than I expected too, unless I just misjudged how many trailers there were.

As a Star Wars fan, I must say I really enjoyed it. In my theater, it got a round of applause. From what I've seen online, most "Star Wars fans" have really enjoyed it. There have been some detractors as well. Having seen the movie now, I have a feeling I know which things they didn't like. There's some things I didn't like either, even though I really enjoyed it. The fact that I didn't like a few plot choices doesn't make them, or the movie bad, it just means I wouldn't have made those choices if I was in the directors shoes. The fact that they exist doesn't make the movie bad. It's tough to really describe without spoilers. Yes, a few things lack depth, which I'm sure critics have railed on, but they are plausible even without depth. And it's not like Star Wars has ever been known for in-depth writing.

It also should be pointed out that Abrams had a near impossible task with Episode IX. He had to:

1. Make a good movie in it’s own right
  2. Bring a satisfying end to a 9 movie saga
  3. Win back a fandom that is as divided as ever
  4. Motivate fans new and old to come out for this after the last two movies weren’t beloved by all
  5. Bring a satisfying conclusion to Leia’s arc without the ability to film any new footage with her

That’s an incredible amount to ask for any filmmaker, and IMO Abrams mostly succeeds. He also ties in subtle things from the animated Star Wars Rebels and video game "Jedi Fallen Order". That's the first time a movie has done that to my knowledge.

As far who will like this movie, I've seen it said that If you like Force Awakens and dislike Last Jedi, you'll enjoy this movie. If you preferred Last Jedi to Force Awakens, maybe you won't like this as much. As someone who loved both, I really enjoyed Rise of Skywalker.

Furthermore, it should be pointed out that it's not like any Star Wars movie has been perfect. Even the originals have some truly cringeworthy dialogue. As does the prequels. So yes, I think this movie fits in with all the rest. Not perfect, but it follows the tradition and heart of the others.

if there was one thing I'd say this movie was lacking, it was more "holy crap" moments. And to be fair, it does have moments like that in which I had unfortunately been spoiled to before the movie started. So others may have a different take on that.

Overall, I think longtime Star Wars fans will enjoy it. Fans of the new trilogy certainly should.

As far as a grade goes, I'd give it a solid B+. It has its issues, but does enough justice to everything it needed to serve. In the trilogy, gut reaction I'd go

The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
The Force Awakens

Having slept on it, I’ll repeat, go in knowing as little as possible if you can. What kept it from being an “A+” movie for me was the fact that some of the big moments were spoiled for me before seeing it. So I didn’t get to enjoy the surprise. Don’t let that happen to you.

Saw it last night on a whim as we already had plans to see it this weekend. I really enjoyed the movie. I know the "critics" are complaining about certain parts but based on the audience in the theater I was in they liked the movie too. There was applause and some "woos" when the credits rolled. Can't get too much further into it without spoiling it for others so I will wait.

Having slept on it, I’ll repeat, go in knowing as little as possible if you can. What kept it from being an “A+” movie for me was the fact that some of the big moments were spoiled for me before seeing it. So I didn’t get to enjoy the surprise. Don’t let that happen to you.
Yeah, same.
I had been following Mike Zeroh on youtube for quite a long time. Started with his breakdowns of the trailers years ago. I stopped watching a few months ago because too much stuff started to come out and I didn't want to know so I stopped cold turkey.

If I hadn't known/heard of some of those things beforehand it woulda make this film even better.

Back in the day with the original trilogy we didn't have the interwebs and leaks to ruin things like ----------SPOILER ALERT---------------Darth Vader was Luke's father.

These are the only movies I go see on opening night and because of other stuff going on I had to wait until the 1030 showing.

Will likely go Saturday with brother/sisters/dad/nephews and maybe even a couple of nieces to see it again. Love seeing these more than once as you notice so many things ya missed.......

Agreed, even better the second time around. Still conflicted on the final line of the movie.
I loved it. During the pregnant pause i knew what was about to be said.

The finality of it makes me sad if this truly is the end of the Skywalker era of star Wars. I think it's a mistake to end it.

I was a little young to see the original in theatres but grew up on watching them in VHS and DVD. It was something my dad and brothers and one sister would always go and watch and talk about it. Total family experi nce. Without giving anything away, I think it can go on and still have them correct in saying the whole Skywalker saga is over

Didn’t like it Bc the pacing wasn’t great imo and they threw so much at you at once. Palpatine coming back kind of messes with Anakins legacy as the chosen one imo. I just didn’t think Palpatine returning was necessary. Felt like a fan fic movie and returning to all the ot sites felt unnecessary. Also didn’t get why they felt the need to “kill” a character off only for them to return 4 different times in the movie. All in all I feel like this trilogies legacy isn’t great. Ik the prequels have a bad rep but 1. Revenge of the Sith is elite and 2. At least they understand what story they’re telling. Sequels just seemed like a mess.

Lol. He is perfectly fine with Force ghosts in general but manipulating the physical world....THAT'S too much.

Things have to make sense within the constraints of the world as its been written. When you break continuity you create plot issues not only for your own story but the whole series of stories that came before it. It’s bad writing.

Things have to make sense within the constraints of the world as its been written. When you break continuity you create plot issues not only for your own story but the whole series of stories that came before it. It’s bad writing.
Ok Siskel.

Ok Siskel.
Siskel made a pretty good career of knowing what was well constructed and what wasn't. Opinions and likes are one thing but design is another. If Cru is wrong, instead of intent to insult, why not argue why he's wrong? In MY opinion, you and The Voice coming off pissed because someone else doesn't like the color of your new car.

Fact is, this is not a one movie story. What went on before, matters. They've been open that the previous writer/director was permitted to do something, which turned out not popular to the fan-base. The "force" is THE major character of the story. Making up something to meet the desires of a "fan-base" (or letting a previous writer/director mess it up) which might not be consistent with what has gone on before in hundreds of stories, has to come off organically or it's poor construction isn't it? There's certainly argument for that POV whether it made your endocrines flow or not. Nothing wrong with saying I liked something that wasn't well done.

Siskel made a pretty good career of knowing what was well constructed and what wasn't. Opinions and likes are one thing but design is another. If Cru is wrong, instead of intent to insult, why not argue why he's wrong? In MY opinion, you and The Voice coming off pissed because someone else doesn't like the color of your new car.

Fact is, this is not a one movie story. What went on before, matters. They've been open that the previous writer/director was permitted to do something, which turned out not popular to the fan-base. The "force" is THE major character of the story. Making up something to meet the desires of a "fan-base" (or letting a previous writer/director mess it up) which might not be consistent with what has gone on before in hundreds of stories, has to come off organically or it's poor construction isn't it? There's certainly argument for that POV whether it made your endocrines flow or not. Nothing wrong with saying I liked something that wasn't well done.
Calling him Siskel is hardly an insult. Lol. Not sure why you felt the need to jump in but ok.
It's not like George wrote a rules of the force book. And the force certainly isn't a real thing so it is always open to creative license. Heck, even George himself continued to modify what the force can do. It went from Jedi mind tricks, blocking blaster shots while blindfolded, and sensing someone else's preference that is "strong in the force" to levitating large objects and people, blocking blasters shots with your hands, force ghosts, force lightening, super human speed and jumping, a Jedi counter to force lightening (lightsaber and then Yoda just catching it), cheating death, force pushes, etc. Not sure why people get up in arms with the mythical aspect of the movie when even in the prequels the most powerful Jedi to date is still learning about the force and it's powers. Especially after death.
The movie was thoroughly enjoying. And it was well made.

Lol. He is perfectly fine with Force ghosts in general but manipulating the physical world....THAT'S too much.
I just wish Abrams had all three of these movies as I think he coulda made something as epic as the original but he had to fix stuff Johnson screwed up