Stanford is dropping it's wrestling program

Also heard that the Ivy League has cancelled its fall and winter sports [including wrestling] for the upcoming season, when will the madness end? perhaps after the election?

Also heard that the Ivy League has cancelled its fall and winter sports [including wrestling] for the upcoming season, when will the madness end? perhaps after the election?

Fall sports will be cancelled everywhere. Everyone will fall in line after the Ivy League schools, just like in March...

They dropped 11 sports..... Stanford had the most sports teams or close to it in the country. The education system is in a lot of trouble with football in danger of not making the money they need. This was a long time coming you cant have all these sports that don't pay for themselves in either with tuition or attendance. The amount of money stanford saved and the students they lost to tuition probably was a positive move for them .....its a business.

It's going to be a rough next few weeks/months for wrestling. I see a lot of kids taking the time off instead of paying $25k to either be confined to your dorm or whatever living space and go to distanced classes. Or just online classes. That will be a big hit on the schools too

The endowment is specifically for academics.

These universities like for their athletics to be self sustaining, but I was under the impression that endowments can used for any operating costs at the university. I get the university probably does not want to tap into that money for sports that do not generate revenue. Just bummed that wrestling gets the ax once again. Stanford has some young guns right now.

These universities like for their athletics to be self sustaining, but I was under the impression that endowments can used for any operating costs at the university. I get the university probably does not want to tap into that money for sports that do not generate revenue. Just bummed that wrestling gets the ax once again. Stanford has some young guns right now.

It depends on how the endowed funds are set up. Many endowment funds are "donor restricted", which means that the funds are restricted to what the donor wished them to be used for or what the endowment fund was established for. Other funds are "unrestricted", which means they can be used for anything.

Another thing to note about endowments is that organizations like to avoid drawing upon the principal for funding activity, instead using the investment/interest income

It's going to be tough sledding ahead of collegiate athletics and colleges themselves until there's either a vaccine, substantive treatment, or societal change in how COVID is viewed.

Unfortunately, I think this is the tip of the iceberg. COVID is another reason that schools will have to justify dropping the sport. In reality, I think we're about to see a wave of schools shut their doors for good, if they aren't operating at full capacity in the fall. The big boys will survive, but the small guys will struggle even if the doors are open.

Coach Root

Unfortunately, I think this is the tip of the iceberg. COVID is another reason that schools will have to justify dropping the sport. In reality, I think we're about to see a wave of schools shut their doors for good, if they aren't operating at full capacity in the fall. The big boys will survive, but the small guys will struggle even if the doors are open.

Coach Root

This goes back to the why would someone pay 30-40 K per year for an online college experience when they can pay much, much less for a true online school like University of Phoenix or Indiana Wesleyan ... or for that matter just take classes online at a local community college. Admittedly a different conversation then eliminating sports at colleges.

Good chance with support Stanford can keep the program!

they already have enough funds (Private funds from donors)it’s going to take a grassroots effort to keep it going.
Money isn’t the issue, look for ways to help Stanford. This is gonna happen to a lot of programs.

It’s going to keep happening Unless We stop it.

Coach Root

Not exactly news to anyone in academia.

Patriot League (EIWA) just cancelled Fall sports...
What does an NCAA tournament look like without Cornell, Princeton, and company?

If there is a national tournament, how do they handle qualification allotment with the likely inner-conference play within the Big 10.

If it does in fact move forward, I'm betting on a record number of redshirts being taken with the amount of doubt in the air.

The more I look at this, I just don't see how the college season will carry on.

Coach Root

Breaking news: It regrets me to be the bearer of bad news, but the Tapeworm Institute of Higher Cutting will be closing it's mouths, doors to 7 varsity programs: Wrestling, Competitive Eating, Synchronized Swimming, Speed Frolicking, Golf, Gymnastics, Competitive Blinking.

D1 Fall. (football.$$$) Sports postponements doesn’t bode well for the “lesser sports”.....
Won’t be surprised,due to “budget constraints” wrestling among others will be suspended and or cancelled....
The dominoes are falling ...thanks China!

Reactions: SCC