Standard Tipping Rate

What is the standard tipping percentage for a sitdown restaurant?

• 15%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 18%

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nah - not me. It is what it is.

1) If you or eib don't like the cultural dynamic, you could always stay home and cook, right ? 2) Would you prefer for a "fair" wage for the entire staff to be included in the price of the meals ? At least this way there is a motivation to better attend to your table's needs.
1) I don't think anyone that knew you more than a minute would consider needing to ask your permission. I don't know about z but I already stated my tipping practice.

2) Showing your true colors again. It is in your liberal world that workers need bonus before they will be motivated fully to do their job, which is to attend all needs of the table. In your left-wing world, if everyone is expected to tip 20%, who gets the better service?

logic much?

No. Because the food service industry is one where a manager is going to have a hard time determining who is and isn't doing a good job. And if you're waiting for "can I speak to the manager" types you've already lost them. Tipping self regulates the worker pool. They're bad, their tips suck, they quit or work harder to improve. If they're good, you've got an excellent worker getting paid handsomely and an asset to your restaurant.

In the utopian world where each server makes the exact same, you're not keeping the now underpaid good employee, and are now overpaying for the bad employee, and constantly monitoring them for service level than letting it basically sort itself out. Restaurants are usually razor thin margins except the upscale restaurants. Letting the customer set the bar on service value is easiest and cheapest.

If you ever travel to Australia or New Zealand, you would be shocked by how bad the service. The food itself is good, but the service? Incredibly bad because there is no tipping in those countries.

I toss down $5.00 as a standard regardless of how good or bad or the actual price. So if it was a 10 dollar meal and they did their job (not poorly or amazing mind you) they're getting 50% from me. Personality goes a long way with me regardless of how much the bill is. If you bust your tail on my 10 dollar meal heck I've even matched the total bill in tips for the right person. Past roommate worked in as a server for years and have had family members do the whole waitress thing so I'm partial I guess.

On a related note to tipping I always tip cash if I can. Cousin who worked as a hostess somewhere in Wooster, OH once told me that if you tip via your credit card that the card company takes a portion out so if you leave them 5 they're actually walking away with like 4.50 she said. So I try to do cash whenever possible.

Pretty standard for me to give 20%. I’ll go higher for exceptional service or it’s a server I know and have routinely.

I now always try to give the server cash at the table rather than putting the tip on my card. I recently found out they don’t get the tip from their employer until the funds are transferred.

Not that I recall. Just felt like goofing on you.

I dated a waitress in high school that worked at a diner with some nice home made desserts. There was this old biddy - it's around 1980 - that would come in at least one evening a week for a slice of cake or pie and coffee. She'd put 10 dimes out. and withdraw them one at a time if she wasn't fussed over properly. it became a bit of a contest among the girls to see if they could get $1 out of her.

I would have dumped coffee on her.

Yeah I wouldn’t have had the patience to deal with someone like that. I could only see myself doing something like that if I was not sober

I toss down $5.00 as a standard regardless of how good or bad or the actual price. So if it was a 10 dollar meal and they did their job (not poorly or amazing mind you) they're getting 50% from me. Personality goes a long way with me regardless of how much the bill is. If you bust your tail on my 10 dollar meal heck I've even matched the total bill in tips for the right person. Past roommate worked in as a server for years and have had family members do the whole waitress thing so I'm partial I guess.

On a related note to tipping I always tip cash if I can. Cousin who worked as a hostess somewhere in Wooster, OH once told me that if you tip via your credit card that the card company takes a portion out so if you leave them 5 they're actually walking away with like 4.50 she said. So I try to do cash whenever possible.
I always tip cash if I have it on me (which I usually do)

Taxation is theft gotta make sure the waitresses pay as little to Uncle Sam as possible

Nah - not me. It is what it is.

If you or eib don't like the cultural dynamic, you could always stay home and cook, right ? Would you prefer for a "fair" wage for the entire staff to be included in the price of the meals ? At least this way there is a motivation to better attend to your table's needs.

Eh, I can deal with the dynamic. Doesn't stop me from pointing out (as others have) how capricious and arbitrary it is. I used to feel an obligation to tip more than 15%. No more. I don't care about someone constantly filling my drink, If they get the order right and bring it to me without spilling it, I will consider they've done a good job attending to our needs.

There was this old biddy - it's around 1980 - that would come in at least one evening a week for a slice of cake or pie and coffee. She'd put 10 dimes out. and withdraw them one at a time if she wasn't fussed over properly. it became a bit of a contest among the girls to see if they could get $1 out of her.

I would have dumped coffee on her.

But - but - the cultural dynamic!

Lol. That's funny. Kinda reminds of my Arby's days in 1975. We had a regular evening customer, a homely but pleasant elderly woman we called Turban Lady who always ordered a small sandwich and coffee, and would sit inside quietly until she was done and left. There was no tipping dynamic involved, but we always took care of her and made sure the sandwich was extra pretty, just because she was a nice person.

1) I don't think anyone that knew you more than a minute would consider needing to ask your permission. I don't know about z but I already stated my tipping practice.

2) Showing your true colors again. It is in your liberal world that workers need bonus before they will be motivated fully to do their job, which is to attend all needs of the table. In your left-wing world, if everyone is expected to tip 20%, who gets the better service?

logic much?

That's a really dumb post up there, cuz.

Do you think in English, or is it in some other language ? Maybe that is the source of the disconnect ?

Is it a tip or is it pay? Blame the person doing the hiring. BTW: it's okay for sons to wait also. ;)

I think the accepted rate is 20% and I agree with the sentiment, how'd that happen when it was 15%? I would like to give 20 to recognize exceptional service but now am told that's average?

The problem here isn't "cheap jerks." You're more than welcome to provide the tip for every diner where you are eating to make sure no server gets shorted in your estimate. The problem is the arbitrariness and the attempts to shame people into dropping money that's not on the bill.

Yes, you stated your tipping practice - and then^ you commenced to whining about it. ?‍♂️

Like I said, you could always stay home. Maybe try to figure out how to cook a steak.

18% is generally the floor for me. I’d say it’s mostly easier to do 20% and round up to a whole dollar on most tips now days.

I typically start at 18% and go up from there. I've been know to go much higher and a few times when I've been drinking and the bartender/waitress is hot enough, I've exceeded a 100%. Usually want to kick myself the next day, but it is what it is.

a few times when I've been drinking and the bartender/waitress is hot enough, I've exceeded a 100%.

My wife will deduct percentage points everytime a female server calls me "honey" or "sweetie", even more if they're especially young and cute. I can't help if I've got that animal magnetism and low resonant voice, but caveat venditor.

Having been around the restaurant business for a while servers love when you pay the tab via credit card and tip in $s. Easy to process the bill and not only do they get a little more take home but they also use $s to pay off the bus and bar backs who are usually teens that need some walking money. I also believe in nighttime differential, any decent service after 12 gets a little more as that is the toughest crowd to deal with and if it is good they deserve it.

I try to make sure a tip still carries meaning...
  • I tip 15% for average service. Or I'll figure out what 15% is and round up to the nearest $0.50 (or nearest $1.00 if it was above average).
  • If service was exceptional, I'll do around 20% tip.
  • For awful service that was clearly related to my server having a poor attitude and being very bad at his/her job, 10% tip is considered. But I rarely go under 15% nowadays.

Also I read a survey of bell hops as they work with folks from everywhere and geographically speaking in the US the best tippers are from the Northeast as they are use to tipping for basically everything. They are followed by people from the Midwest and then West. Easily the biggest cheap skates are from the south and they call out Texans in particular as biggest tight with their tipping.

For What It's Worth:
Remember this; when you pay by credit card and include the tip,
the merchant is charged a fee (usually 3%) on the total.

The merchant takes 3% of the tip to cover the tip expense.

:>---

EGA