Which song is more epic?

• Stairway To Heaven

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Sweet Child O' Mine

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Here's a fun little debate. Heard this question being talked about recently and wondered what the debate board would say...

Last edited:

Of course everyone's taste is different but in my opinion there are only a handful of songs that would make this a legitimate question and Sweet Child of Mine is definitely not one of them.

This question is like, which football team is more epic...Marion local Flyers or New England Patriots? Yep both good football programs but not in the same category.

A couple Pink Floyd songs come to mind, a few Beatles songs and a scattering of others.

To me, what makes songs like this so epic is not just the great music but the transitions and the emotional journey the song takes you through.

That being said, this would be my Beatles nomination.

Last edited:
Stairway to Heaven is epic and is an easy choice between the two, but I'd add another song to the mix -
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

Yes, this has all the ingredients to qualify as epic... the great music, transitions and emotional journey.

Here is another with the correct "epic" recipe. "Epic" is a pretty exclusive club IMO

Yeah, "Sweet Child O' Mine" was an odd choice for comparison. It's more of a teeny-bopper pop song, although it is catchy.

Transitions, emotional journeys, and dramatic chord progressions? Got 'em right here if you want 'em:

Last edited:
Yeah, "Sweet Child O' Mine" was an odd choice for comparison. It's more of a teeny-bopper pop song, although it is catchy.

Transitions, emotional journeys, and dramatic chord progressions? Got 'em right here if you want 'em:

Yes it has that but not "epic" IMO because the music is just average.

This is probably the only metal song that I would put in the "epic" category But as the forum goes this is all debatable.
"Epic" is a level that gives chills... this one does it for me.

For my money this is the most epic rock & roll song of all time:

* written by Bob Dylan, American rock royalty

* performed by Jimi Hendrix, America's greatest rock guitarist!

Not seeing any "epic" story in either of those songs really.

Did they ever decide whether Stairwar was stolen?

It's not what I would consider an epic, but in a 'you're about to be stranded on an island' scenario, I'll take Child.

GnR's epic songs are November Rain, Estranged, Coma, and maybe even Rocket Queen

To me this is the most epic thing ever done in music... the music with the movie is just epic in every aspect and if you have never sat in the dark with surround sound up through this whole movie, it may change your definition of epic.

"Wake Up" is a song by American rap metal band Rage Against the Machine.
I think I heard, I think I heard a shot

The lyrics discuss racism within the American government and the counter – intelligence programs of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); a spoken portion of the song is taken from an actual FBI memo

They are both great songs. Personally I think stairway is the better of the two but that's just my opinion.