ST X or Lakota West?

I think everyone will be surprised at how good Lakota West's defense is and how well they will stop St. X. They've only given up 41 points in 8 games, and only 28 before garbage time. They have 22 sacks vs only 112 pass attempts against them. Cathedral got to X QBs 6 times in their game. McCaughey will need to be patient throwing the ball, not force it, and run when needed. Turnovers will be the difference in the game if he does force it. I think you see Specht go with a more conservative game plan as he knows that 20 points will be all it takes to win this. Overall, I expect this game to be low scoring.
Prescient

Yeah, with the safety rolled to the middle and the corners tight outside, it was a pretty simple corner route with the wide db's being occupied short. It was a great play call and a good read by the QB, who had to be patient enough to get the corners to stay on the short routes. You can really see the play develop nicely, and that ball seemed to be in the air forever. It was the best read X's QB made all night.

Agree. Great play call by the Bombers coaching staff - putting Clifford in the inside slot position instead of on the outside. It was a great match-up for Clifford against the safety instead of Lakota West's corners

West was playing Cover 2 on the last play. A corner route is a perfect Cover 2 beater, but you have to give the QB time for the play to develop and he has to deliver a good ball. It all happened, and X won.

I would expect X to win in the semi-final against Springfield, who doesn't deserve to be there. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody is beating Pickerington Central.

Agreed, their team speed on defense was tremendous, just like those great Colerain D's. If they can shore up against the run, and get ANYTHING from their offense, they will be a power. Will Bolden stay after any younger Bolden's graduate?
I can't see Bolden leaving even after his youngest graduates. IMO he took this job to be in it for the long haul. Leaving a national power and his alma mater was a surprising move to say the least. Not sure it'll be his last coaching job but don't see him leaving anytime soon.

West was playing Cover 2 on the last play. A corner route is a perfect Cover 2 beater, but you have to give the QB time for the play to develop and he has to deliver a good ball. It all happened, and X won.

I would expect X to win in the semi-final against Springfield, who doesn't deserve to be there. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody is beating Pickerington Central.
Why doesn't Springfield deserve to be there? They have some athletes that are going to be tough to deal with.

Coach Suriano on TV explained that play as you mostly did above. Also said the other 2 Routes being run on that play are intentionally “shorter routes” so the inside guy can go deeper with nobody to help whoever trying to cover him. Was definitely a great play call. Was the Holding Penalty called on the player that made the INT at the end?

Agreed, their team speed on defense was tremendous, just like those great Colerain D's. If they can shore up against the run, and get ANYTHING from their offense, they will be a power. Will Bolden stay after any younger Bolden's graduate?
How in the world, other than nepotism, is that kid LW’s QB— as a SOPHOMORE, on top of that?! At the start of the second half, i was wondering if he was even gonna throw a spiral, let alone complete a pass...pathetic favoritism. It’d be one thing, if he was this great, shifty, elusive or powerful runner— but he’s NONE of those things.

Yeah, with the safety rolled to the middle and the corners tight outside, it was a pretty simple corner route with the wide db's being occupied short. It was a great play call and a good read by the QB, who had to be patient enough to get the corners to stay on the short routes. You can really see the play develop nicely, and that ball seemed to be in the air forever. It was the best read X's QB made all night.
But how are you saying That he did that— given that he was STARING at one receiver (or the corner of the end zone, for a good 5 seconds before he threw the ball there— he NEVER looked anywhere else— if you couldn’t read where he was looking on that play, you weren’t paying attention at all.

How in the world, other than nepotism, is that kid LW’s QB— as a SOPHOMORE, on top of that?! At the start of the second half, i was wondering if he was even gonna throw a spiral, let alone complete a pass...pathetic favoritism. It’d be one thing, if he was this great, shifty, elusive or powerful runner— but he’s NONE of those things.

I know only sophomore but I had some similar thoughts. No way he best QB in that School for the System they trying to Run. Matter of fact, no matter how good the D, I don’t see LW ever winning this Region with him at QB.

But how are you saying That he did that— given that he was STARING at one receiver (or the corner of the end zone, for a good 5 seconds before he threw the ball there— he NEVER looked anywhere else— if you couldn’t read where he was looking on that play, you weren’t paying attention at all.
Not disagreeing, he looked him all the way through. The only thing I can guess is that the db's thought he could have also been looking at the out route that Cates ran, because both the corner and the safety broke on that route. His eyes/ head were both turned that way, so that's my only explanation. Watching the replay, the safety breaks with Clifford at first, then takes a step towards the Cates route, before trying to get back to Clifford. Thr corner jumps the Cates route, and after that all the QB had to do was get the ball there. I am wondering if they didn't think X would go for it all there instead of just trying to get yardage and stop the clock out of bounds.

Reactions: 4GX
I know only sophomore but I had some similar thoughts. No way he best QB in that School for the System they trying to Run. Matter of fact, no matter how good the D, I don’t see LW ever winning this Region with him at QB.
I definitely don't think he was the right choice this year, he had at least 3 fumbles that I remember, two from simply dropping the ball when trying to wind up to pass. I can see him developing in though, he made some decent reads, and is an athlete. As much as Bolden wants to get away from the option, that West offense is more or less the same thing, just with less.. options.

Reactions: 4GX
Not disagreeing, he looked him all the way through. The only thing I can guess is that the db's thought he could have also been looking at the out route that Cates ran, because both the corner and the safety broke on that route. His eyes/ head were both turned that way, so that's my only explanation. Watching the replay, the safety breaks with Clifford at first, then takes a step towards the Cates route, before trying to get back to Clifford. Thr corner jumps the Cates route, and after that all the QB had to do was get the ball there. I am wondering if they didn't think X would go for it all there instead of just trying to get yardage and stop the clock out of bounds.
Interesting take— I hadn’t thought of that— I thought EVERY play, from that point (with no timeouts left) HAD to be to the end zone (speaking of which— WHY did Clifford EVEN TRY to catch that ball that cost X their last timeout— let alone WHY did Brogan even throw it to him there??? A play to the middle of the field,, to a closely guarded receiver, for a ~3-yard gain, that does NOT get a first down to at least stop the clock— that was an asinine play call, QB decision, and bad decision to try to catch— although I don’t blame Clifford for doing what he is taught to do naturally)... Oh, by the way, I thought it was a terrible call by the refs to call it a completed catch— it certainly did NOT look like one on replay, but, then again, the refs didn‘t HAVE instant replay.

I definitely don't think he was the right choice this year, he had at least 3 fumbles that I remember, two from simply dropping the ball when trying to wind up to pass. I can see him developing in though, he made some decent reads, and is an athlete. As much as Bolden wants to get away from the option, that West offense is more or less the same thing, just with less.. options.
Agreed— totally— it’s NOT a very good offense— either the scheme or the execution. The kid is an athlete (a good one, not a great one)— but he has NO business being behind center— maybe a safety or a LB... looks to me like his hands are too small to really handle the ball surely and safely, let alone make any decent throws.

Why doesn't Springfield deserve to be there? They have some athletes that are going to be tough to deal with.
They won by forfeit in their playoff game against Clayton Northmont, which was canceled because of COVID on Northmont's team. Northmont beat Springfield in the regular season.

West never found an identity on offense this year. They were actually best when they just straight up ran a version of the triple option out of the shotgun. I think Bolden wants to showcase his son throwing the ball and running a spread, and he really just isn't that good yet. I don't think they necessarily had a better QB at West though. Senior WR Caleb Rao was the other option, and they pretty much could have only run the triple option with him.

Here is what I can't understand. West played a very successful two man coverage the entire game. Why did they go to Zone (Cover 2) for that play? It was obvious West was shutting down Clifford so why go Cover 2 on that play?

Hats off to the Lakota West team. Those kids played their butts off. Lakota West is going to be in the running to win State next season.

I get the sentiment that Springfield has had an easier path because of Northmont' s forfeit, but during their regular season game Springfield was up I think 28-7, before Northmont roared back and forced OT. Springfield missed FG in OT, Northmont made their FG. Toss up game. Nobody was clearly better.
It does suck that Northmont didnt get the chance though

They won by forfeit in their playoff game against Clayton Northmont, which was canceled because of COVID on Northmont's team. Northmont beat Springfield in the regular season.

Not a Northmont or Springfield fan but there first game went to OT and was won on a field goal. If they would have gotten to play it would have been a pretty even game

Not a Northmont or Springfield fan but there first game went to OT and was won on a field goal. If they would have gotten to play it would have been a pretty even game
Yes, but one game less that Springfield didn't have the play and they didn't earn being here.

West never found an identity on offense this year. They were actually best when they just straight up ran a version of the triple option out of the shotgun. I think Bolden wants to showcase his son throwing the ball and running a spread, and he really just isn't that good yet. I don't think they necessarily had a better QB at West though. Senior WR Caleb Rao was the other option, and they pretty much could have only run the triple option with him.

Lakota West has never really had a component QB. Rao got beat out last year by a freshmen Bolden. A few years back they had the White kid who transferred from Colerain because he was 3rd string. He started 2 years at West. Most of the blame for LW's past failure to get much with the all the talent they had was Cox but the inability to find a QB didn't help.

As much as people sometime complain about Colerain's triple option, the whole point was that truly great QB play is rare and uneven and you won't always have reliably developed at the high school level in Ohio. Why that may be less true with modern offenses, there aren't many teams that consistently throw the ball in the state. Outside of Mentor and recent Elder and X teams, there are few, true throw 1st teams that do well in Ohio consistently. Even if X or Mentor wins his year, almost all of the state D1 champions of the past 20 years were run heavy.

Lakota West has never really had a component QB. Rao got beat out last year by a freshmen Bolden. A few years back they had the White kid who transferred from Colerain because he was 3rd string. He started 2 years at West. Most of the blame for LW's past failure to get much with the all the talent they had was Cox but the inability to find a QB didn't help.

We actually had a couple over the past 5 years, but they both transferred out. It wasn't so much finding them as much as keeping them.

My take on this game is you have to give both these teams the credit. They showed everyone this was the best 1-2 teams in the city. Lakota west QB played a really bad game and that unfortunately was their demise. He cant throw the ball at all, and he looked very nervous. West has the skill guys they are there u can see it, but they need a better QB or they are going nowhere ever. That west Defense was flat nasty and that was the best defense in the state. Bolden needs to put his kid at Linebacker or he is making a huge mistake. Good luck ST X bring it home.