St. X basketball 2012-2013

Sad?
In the past 8 years, x has finished anywhere from 1st to 4th in the gcl. Most often they have been 3rd behin moe and lasalle which is not embarrassing.
With the way moe recruits their hoopsters and run their program, and the dominance lasalle has shown over th years, x has always been competitive. Someone said the "system" is wrong. I don't see moeller or lasalle changing their system for new personnel.

You have to let you players play basketball not just pass the ball 15-20 times before they can shoot the ball

The Coach Martin rumors have been going on for several years and yet nothing ever happens. I don't see any changes at the top even if St. X has another bad year in basketball. For goodness sakes he has gotten X their only State Basketball championship, been to the Final Four multiple times, and has numerous district championships. However, even with that said, anything, but a Top 10 finish in the city and at least a 2nd place finish in the GCL South will be a major dissapointment for this year's team. This year's team definitely has the talent. In the starting lineup X will have two D1 scholarship players in Hadden and Mills, their leading scorer back in Blink, and plenty of seniors and juniors to pick from to round out the starting 5. Coach Martin heavily relies on his seniors to produce and last year's group of seniors (which was only 3) gave him little to nothing. This year's squad should be comprised of 8 or 9 seniors. The other issue with last year's team is they had nothing coming off of the bench. This year's X team will have plenty of shooters and height coming in as role players with the capabilities of carrying a team if they get hot. Last year's JV team won the GCL South and there is plenty of talent for Coach Martin to pick from. I expect 1 or 2 of the juniors from this group (besides Mills) to start making a name for themselves. They have the talent.

In regards to Benzinger and Muchmore, St. X will have a lot of other people to worry about at Moeller than these two. Specifically Davenport, Watkins, Wrencher, and Fowler.

I believe Lasalle will have a down year. They just don't have as much talent as they have had in the past and the lack of height is finally going to catch up to them. Yes I know they now have Simpson, but he is just not that good no matter what some rankings say about him. Moeller figured him out which is why he left. Simpson was not in Moeller's plans.

The Top 3 teams in the city this year for D1 (in no particular order) will be Moeller, Winton Woods, and Walnut Hills. St. X should easily be able to be in the next best group of 4 to 5 teams. This should be the year that St. X basketball is revelent again and the rumors about Coach Martin stop. I hope that is the case, because if Martin can't at least get back to winning ways with this group then I'm not sure how he will ever be able to get back to winning ways.

I could not agree with you anymore. LaSalle is going to be very down (for them) I actually expect it to be Moe, X, Elder, and LaS this year. I also think Simpson will drive Flemming crazy this year. I don't think he will be seeing many minutes by the second half of the season.

Give me one example of McNick or Badin recruiting?

Boy, I wish McNick recruited athletically.:D The extent of their recruiting is trying to keep kids from Beechmont Av (GA/IHM) from going to Moe or X and asking "are you sure you want to go to Turpin, Anderson or Glen Este and save 8k?"

How is St.X looking this year? I know they struggled last year and lost some key seniors in a strong GCL South. Who will be their shut down defender to defend players like Benzinger or Muchmore from Moeller or Larkin from Lasalle? Is there a possible coaching change on the way?

X has very athletic senior class. Look for Carroll, Bolling and others to shut those two down.

I could not agree with you anymore. LaSalle is going to be very down (for them) I actually expect it to be Moe, X, Elder, and LaS this year. I also think Simpson will drive Flemming crazy this year. I don't think he will be seeing many minutes by the second half of the season.

Really think LS finishes behind elder? Thanks for the laugh!!!! But Lasalle will be young this year. But now comes in little Flem and all his friends. Remember what happened when Ryan brought some of his friends to play at LS. They also could have the 2 big wr if they actually wanna run this year! And finally when you play D like Lasalle, that will win you many games at this level and this day and age.

Last edited:
I think St. X could finish anywhere from 8-12 to 12-8 this year. With the talent they have over on North Bend, they're more than capable of doing better than last year.

I think St. X could finish anywhere from 8-12 to 12-8 this year. With the talent they have over on North Bend, they're more than capable of doing better than last year.

Your prediction is impossible. High school basketball teams play a 22 game schedule this year. My guess is you did not look at St. X's schedule for this year in making your prediction since St. X has not released their schedule. However, if you go to the GCL website you can see 15 of their 22 games listed. Below is the partial schedule to date along with my projected outcome

12/7 McNick (Win)
12/14 at Elder (Likely Win)
12/15 Glen Este (Win)
12/21 at LaSalle (Likely Win)
1/4 Carroll (Win)
1/8 at Badin (Win)
1/11 Moeller (Loss)
1/18 Elder (Win)
1/25 LaSalle (Win)
1/29 Purcell (Win)
2/1 at Alter (Likely Win)
2/8 at Moeller (Loss)
2/12 at Walnut Hills (Loss)
2/15 at Roger Bacon (Toss up)
2/16 Oak Hills (Win)

So out of the 15 games scheduled so far I see a best record of 12-3 and a worst case record of 8-7 (if they lose all likely win's and the toss up, which is highly unlikely). Realistically I think they will be 10-5 with these 15 games. Until the rest of their schedule is released I don't know how you can make a prediction on their entire win/loss record.

Your prediction is impossible. High school basketball teams play a 22 game schedule this year. My guess is you did not look at St. X's schedule for this year in making your prediction since St. X has not released their schedule. However, if you go to the GCL website you can see 15 of their 22 games listed. Below is the partial schedule to date along with my projected outcome

12/7 McNick (Win)
12/14 at Elder (Likely Win)
12/15 Glen Este (Win)
12/21 at LaSalle (Likely Win)
1/4 Carroll (Win)
1/8 at Badin (Win)
1/11 Moeller (Loss)
1/18 Elder (Win)
1/25 LaSalle (Win)
1/29 Purcell (Win)
2/1 at Alter (Likely Win)
2/8 at Moeller (Loss)
2/12 at Walnut Hills (Loss)
2/15 at Roger Bacon (Toss up)
2/16 Oak Hills (Win)

So out of the 15 games scheduled so far I see a best record of 12-3 and a worst case record of 8-7 (if they lose all likely win's and the toss up, which is highly unlikely). Realistically I think they will be 10-5 with these 15 games. Until the rest of their schedule is released I don't know how you can make a prediction on their entire win/loss record.

Lasalle gets swept by X? Since 09' LS is 8-1 vs X. I could see them losing 1 but not 2

Really think LS finishes behind elder? Thanks for the laugh!!!! But Lasalle will be young this year. But now comes in little Flem and all his friends. Remember what happened when Ryan brought some of his friends to play at LS. They also could have the 2 big wr if they actually wanna run this year! And finally when you play D like Lasalle, that will win you many games at this level and this day and age.

Tell me what you know about LaSalle and tell me what you know about Elder this year? You are correct that in a few years LaSalle will be State contenders again.

The Coach Martin rumors have been going on for several years and yet nothing ever happens. I don't see any changes at the top even if St. X has another bad year in basketball. For goodness sakes he has gotten X their only State Basketball championship, been to the Final Four multiple times, and has numerous district championships. However, even with that said, anything, but a Top 10 finish in the city and at least a 2nd place finish in the GCL South will be a major dissapointment for this year's team. This year's team definitely has the talent. In the starting lineup X will have two D1 scholarship players in Hadden and Mills, their leading scorer back in Blink, and plenty of seniors and juniors to pick from to round out the starting 5. Coach Martin heavily relies on his seniors to produce and last year's group of seniors (which was only 3) gave him little to nothing. This year's squad should be comprised of 8 or 9 seniors. The other issue with last year's team is they had nothing coming off of the bench. This year's X team will have plenty of shooters and height coming in as role players with the capabilities of carrying a team if they get hot. Last year's JV team won the GCL South and there is plenty of talent for Coach Martin to pick from. I expect 1 or 2 of the juniors from this group (besides Mills) to start making a name for themselves. They have the talent.

In regards to Benzinger and Muchmore, St. X will have a lot of other people to worry about at Moeller than these two. Specifically Davenport, Watkins, Wrencher, and Fowler.

I believe Lasalle will have a down year. They just don't have as much talent as they have had in the past and the lack of height is finally going to catch up to them. Yes I know they now have Simpson, but he is just not that good no matter what some rankings say about him. Moeller figured him out which is why he left. Simpson was not in Moeller's plans.

The Top 3 teams in the city this year for D1 (in no particular order) will be Moeller, Winton Woods, and Walnut Hills. St. X should easily be able to be in the next best group of 4 to 5 teams. This should be the year that St. X basketball is revelent again and the rumors about Coach Martin stop. I hope that is the case, because if Martin can't at least get back to winning ways with this group then I'm not sure how he will ever be able to get back to winning ways.

Looking relevant this year and the next 3 years at a minimum based on what's coming up.

St X basketball could be much better. Tell me why is show much hype given to this Mills kid. I've been coaching kids in this age group for years. He could be much better but he's in the wrong type of system. Coaching change long overdue.

I've seen flashes this year of why he has the hype. Has the physical tools...if he finds the toughness switch with consistency he could be really good.

Ryan had a pretty good supporting cast..I think the key is who gets in the 2 way players ears more Grippa or Flem..seems like Grippa is lately