St. Vincent-St. Mary Fighting Irish Football 2018

brian

There is a new coaching staff at the helm and, as usual, a formiddable schedule in front of the St. Vincent-St.Mary Fighting Irish, but with very few lost starters to graduation (Walter FS/WR, Younger SS, Ervin OL, Taggart DL, Olson WR, Lattea FB) or transfer (Jones DB), an extremely talent laden and battle-tested SVSM squad should once again be one of the stronger teams in Northeast Ohio and a contender for a deep D3 playoff run.

Any Fighting Irish posters care to share insight, staff holdovers, expectations, changes in offensive attack, "players to watch", etc., etc. for the coming season?

Good luck to the Fighting Irish this season!*

*Except week five, of course :)

Last edited:

Schedule>

08/24 7:30 PM A Massillon Washington
08/31 7:00 PM H Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
09/07 7:00 PM H Cleveland Benedictine
09/14 7:30 PM A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
09/21 7:00 PM H Akron Archbishop Hoban
09/28 7:00 PM A Perry
10/05 7:00 PM H Canton GlenOak
10/12 7:00 PM H Akron Buchtel
10/20 1:00 PM H Owings Mills Mcdonogh (MD)
10/26 7:00 PM A Youngstown Ursuline

Did the sophomore tailback from last year transfer?

Not that I'm aware of. Terrence Keyes, the squad's starting RB and leading rusher from 2017 (when he was a soph), returns (as far as I know).

They did have a freshman RB who was an absolute stud transfer to Barberton.

Did the sophomore tailback from last year transfer?

He’s back....as well as the sophomore QB and sophomore WR. The Irish will have 15/16 returning starters from a year ago.

New coach has been very well received. Has done a nice job putting together a nice coaching staff together with a mix of new coaches and coaches from the previous staff.

Expectations are high. Tough tough schedule....but the Irish will be ready and look to build on their momentum from last season.

Should be an interesting year on Green Street with a new staff.

Hopefully, that huge offensive line will be better with the seasoning they got last year.

Not entirely sold on their staff yet as one of them made a fool of himself on here 2 or 3 years ago.

What about WR Jalen Ross? I heard he transferred out because he (or his parent) was unhappy with his basketball playing time.

For every positive review I've heard of the new coach/staff, I've heard just as many saying the opposite. No of us will really know until we see it on game days. All they need to do is stay relatively healthy and get in the playoffs, region 9 is a walk through to the final 4, and D3 in general has been neutered by CB.

The admin/board and athletic office at STVM need to show some competence for once. Therefore, with their poor decisions (hires, indecisive decision-making, not listening to people who make sense) STVM is at a plateau.

I’m hearing The Agent decided to jump ship and coach at a college. STVM just saved two losses on their schedule due to him leaving

Not sure a team coming off a season where they played in the D3 state semi finals has plateaued....especially since 75% of the starters were underclassman. Team has made the playoffs for 9 years in a row.

Looks like a lot of great talent, wish the coach, best of luck, and may he have a very successful season. GO IRISH !!!

Plateau-

noun
1. an area of relatively level high ground.
synonyms: upland, tableland, plain, mesa, highland, coteau
"a windswept plateau"

2. a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress.
"the peace process had reached a plateau"

verb
1. reach a state of little or no change after a time of activity or progress.
"the industry's problems have plateaued out"

The admin/board and athletic office at STVM need to show some competence for once. Therefore, with their poor decisions (hires, indecisive decision-making, not listening to people who make sense) STVM is at a plateau.

I’m hearing The Agent decided to jump ship and coach at a college. STVM just saved two losses on their schedule due to him leaving

Their basketball team just won it's 8th state championship. Track, cross country and wrestling are thriving. Hell, a young football team made it to the final four. Poor decision making and incompetence don't lead to those results.

Rumor has it that the OL Coach has quit and there is some rumbling among the Alumni about the Coach. Don't shoot the messenger.

Coach Nickols is a solid hire and the players are receptive to his discipline and accountability. The Alumni needs to Support the new coach. The Overall numbers are down but the incoming Frosh Class (2022) have good numbers. Someone needs to allocate funds to upgrade the equipment for the weight room. This needs to be a priority if they ever hope to compete with their cross town rivals. The Irish will compete for region 9 and a shot at the D3 state title. This program is not ready to play the likes of Iggys or Ed’s. The basketball program has done Football no favors losing a pair of potentially starting CB’s (Jones & Robinson to East)) and two year starting WR 6-3 200 Jalen Ross to Canton Mckinley. The Class of 2020 is down to single digits. Since the transfer rule is now in effect a program can’t fix numbers through incoming transfers.

Last edited:
Coach Nickols is a solid hire and the players are receptive to his discipline and accountability. The Alumni needs to Support the new coach. The Overall numbers are down but the incoming Frosh Class (2022) have good numbers. Someone needs to allocate funds to upgrade the equipment for the weight room. This needs to be a priority if they ever hope to compete with their cross town rivals. The Irish will compete for region 9 and a shot at the D3 state title. This program is not ready to play the likes of Iggys or Ed’s. The basketball program has done Football no favors losing a pair of potentially starting CB’s (Jones & Robinson to East)) and two year starting WR 6-3 200 Jalen Ross to Canton Mckinley. The Class of 2020 is down to single digits. Since the transfer rule is now in effect a program can’t fix numbers through incoming transfers.

Sounds like the boosters need to get on the ball with some fundraising.

Single digits in the junior class? Ouch.

Alumni will get on board when they see success. That's the downside of going outside of the program for a hire.

If anyone goes to the scrimmage/practice with Girard tonight, a little recap would be appreciated. Thx

Wow, I don't know about all the transfers or feeder systems work in Akron, but is Hoban eating your guy's lunch lately or what? Still a lot of talent to go around apparently. Good luck Irish.

Wow, I don't know about all the transfers or feeder systems work in Akron, but is Hoban eating your guy's lunch lately or what? Still a lot of talent to go around apparently. Good luck Irish.

Plenty of talent to go around....you should know better than anyone else. St V has beaten Massillon 4 of the past 5 years (all at Massillon) and have won 2 state championships during that time.

Plenty of talent to go around....you should know better than anyone else. St V has beaten Massillon 4 of the past 5 years (all at Massillon) and have won 2 state championships during that time.

And ST V 0-5 over past 3 years vs Hoban while Hoban has won 3 state chips. I think Massillon May have ST V’s number this year. Planning on seeing that one.

And ST V 0-5 over past 3 years vs Hoban while Hoban has won 3 state chips. I think Massillon May have ST V’s number this year. Planning on seeing that one.

And St V is 8-5 against Hoban in the last 13 games. Series is 21-21 all time.

The tide will turn again as it always has. That’s what makes it such a great rivalry.

It’s a shame you can’t appreciate the history the 2 schools share. Not sure what St V ever did to you...but the hate and negativity you have for St V is pretty apparent. You’re the type of fan that turns a fun rivalry into hate. Seems to be what motivates you. Hate on St V...Everyone against Hoban.

Since you love to throw around numbers and facts....St Vincent St Mary has never won a football game or state championship in football while the coach or the school is/was on probation (Fact). You can whine all you want what Hoban did was not a big deal or minor (excuses..OHSAA says otherwise)....but the bottom line your “chips” come tainted...with an asterisk...Outside of Hoban...your “chips” mean as much as Barry Bonds home run record means in baseball.

And now your QB will have to sit out a game(s) because your school broke the rules again. I know...he was in 8th grade..that’s not the schools fault. If that were the case he wouldn’t be sitting.

Looking for another great season for the Irish. Trying to make the playoffs for the 10th year in a row and take another run at a state championship. Massillon will provide a great early test for the coach and team.

And St V is 8-5 against Hoban in the last 13 games. Series is 21-21 all time.

The tide will turn again as it always has. That’s what makes it such a great rivalry.

It’s a shame you can’t appreciate the history the 2 schools share. Not sure what St V ever did to you...but the hate and negativity you have for St V is pretty apparent. You’re the type of fan that turns a fun rivalry into hate. Seems to be what motivates you. Hate on St V...Everyone against Hoban.

Since you love to throw around numbers and facts....St Vincent St Mary has never won a football game or state championship in football while the coach or the school is/was on probation (Fact). You can whine all you want what Hoban did was not a big deal or minor (excuses..OHSAA says otherwise)....but the bottom line your “chips” come tainted...with an asterisk...Outside of Hoban...your “chips” mean as much as Barry Bonds home run record means in baseball.

And now your QB will have to sit out a game(s) because your school broke the rules again. I know...he was in 8th grade..that’s not the schools fault. If that were the case he wouldn’t be sitting.

Looking for another great season for the Irish. Trying to make the playoffs for the 10th year in a row and take another run at a state championship. Massillon will provide a great early test for the coach and team.

Little sensitive aren’t we? So your post to Massillon fan on how you have beaten them 4 out of 5 times and won 2 chips is all well and good, but when I post a similar line of thought using the Hoban St V games you lose your mind? I do appreciate the rivalry and have enjoyed watching it even up over the past 4 years. Only hate I see is your attack on a simple post that was as harmless as yours was against the Massillon fan. That and your attack on a 8th grade football player. No asterisk’s that I see anywhere on the record books.

You might want to settle down a little. You have kids (lots of them) that broke the same rule, the same year and the year before. SVSM will be good this year without a doubt. Series is tied, you are 8-5 over 13 years and Hoban has dominated this century. Bottom line is the series is tied. Not picking a fight but your house is made of glass on this. Funny thing is the school that turned Hoban in could be under the same penalty.

Man...a century is a long time... but since you brought it up. In the last century Hoban has beat St V 21 times and St V has beat Hoban 21 times. In the last century Hoban has 3 state championships and St V has 6. If you say Hoban has dominated this century I need to go look up the words dominate and century.

I don’t want to put words in your mouth ...but I think you meant Hoban has dominated the last decade. Well...In the last decade St V is 6-5 against Hoban and Hoban has 3 championships to St V’s 2. I wouldn’t call that dominating either.

Now...in the last 3 years...Hoban has dominated St V. It has and will continue to be a strong motivator for the Irish as to be the best...you have to beat the best.

With regards to the players that are rumored to be suspended...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Little sensitive aren’t we? So your post to Massillon fan on how you have beaten them 4 out of 5 times and won 2 chips is all well and good, but when I post a similar line of thought using the Hoban St V games you lose your mind? I do appreciate the rivalry and have enjoyed watching it even up over the past 4 years. Only hate I see is your attack on a simple post that was as harmless as yours was against the Massillon fan. That and your attack on a 8th grade football player. No asterisk’s that I see anywhere on the record books.

Not sensitive at all. Massillon fan came on a ST V thread talking about how Hoban was eating St V’s lunch and I just wanted to remind him that while that was happening (his words) St V still had a pretty good football team.

You pound on ST V any chance you get.

Barry Bonds record doesn’t have an asterisk on it either...but ask anyone if it’s legitimate and 9 out 10 people will tell you no.

Not sure how bringing up that your QB might have to sit a game or 2 for breaking the rules is an attack. If it’s true...it’s a fact.

When I wrote this century I was referring to the current century we are in which is just over 18 years old. I don’t think I referenced the past 100 years.

I don’t need to wait and see and I do not want to see kids suspended for something they did in eighth grade no matter what school they attend or attended. Very sad that one out of hundreds of kids is being penalized because a rival school felt it necessary to turn him in. Read what I wrote. Only one kid out of hundreds that played in the same all-star game is being penalized and you think you have something juicy to use against the evil Hoban fans. You should be ashamed for using a kids future for your personal dig on a troll site. Sorry Cougar hurt your feelings but get some class. The rivalry is too great for people like you to bring it down.

Please explain then why only 1 player who played in that game might be suspended? Doesn’t make any sense. Has to be more to that story. Nothing juicy...just the facts.

My feelings don’t get hurt by the Cougar’s at all. When he pushes...as he’s prone to do...I will push back.

I can honesty say I have a ton of respect for Hoban. I’ve sat in the stands and cheered them in the playoffs and state championship games in multiple sports (not football) as I have many many friends whose kids have gone there and are great kids.

Before Tyrell I supported their football teams as well. Loved the Sutton years. Hard to support them now because I think Tyrell is dirty (just my opinion and I could be wrong).