St.V-St.M 2022

Nice article about John Cistone and the 1972 state championship team. The first picture is actually Cistone on the field standing next to safety Tim Wallace during a 1981 game, another state championship squad.

What day did this appear in the paper? I subscribe to the digital paper and didn’t see it there.

That was a really cool article; thanks for sharing! I wonder if someone has footage of this game and could upload it to YouTube.

Due to Hoban’s loss in the state championship they are currently losing players to different teams I know we won’t probably play them again for a while but they might be in rebuilding mode in the 23 season if they don’t win next year

Due to Hoban’s loss in the state championship they are currently losing players to different teams I know we won’t probably play them again for a while but they might be in rebuilding mode in the 23 season if they don’t win next year
I don't think this is the case but you can only hope. This has been going on every year since 2014-15 season when Hoban and coach Tyrell started winning. Vince Murdocco was starting QB, then Blake Bishop transfers from St V and Murdocco transfers to Upper Arlington. Multiple players leave each year and go back to either their home district or another school because they couldn't get on the field, couldn't hack the academics or standards required to attend Or for financial reasons. Each year I have seen at least 10 or so players leave and go to other schools where they can start and play. Nothing new here except guys posting more on social media which looks weak. Bad enough we have to see "preferred walk on offers" being posted but now it's transferring to another HS that garners attention.

Interesting is the rumor a Hoban player transferring to Moeller. Moeller may be only one of handful of programs arguably stronger than Hoban. Typically players transfer back to their home public school or to a program they are pretty much guaranteed a starting spot or more playtime

Interesting is the rumor a Hoban player transferring to Moeller. Moeller may be only one of handful of programs arguably stronger than Hoban. Typically players transfer back to their home public school or to a program they are pretty much guaranteed a starting spot or more playtime
It is more than rumor. The kid announced it on his twitter.

Correct a mundo.

That is a nice opener. Wonder if this is going to be more than a one year contract. Arlin Stadium - their home field - is a classic and worth the trip.

Wonder if we rekindle the Barberton series? We are both open week 3 - and if we continue the recent series, the game would be at Rudy Sharkey Stadium. That would work - as we currently have 6 games scheduled for Green Street.

They didn’t renew with Glenville or Hoban because they don’t think they can beat them. What do you call that?
One you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. Two Glenville was only on a one year deal. Three Stvm administration stopped the Hoban series because 2018 through 2021 seasons we lost convincingly 30+ for 4 straight years under Bobby nickol. four nobody in the state is scared of little ole Glenville we would gladly run it back with you guys and or Hoban given the opportunity or chance

I hope the Irish make a trip to 1040 next year
I hope so, too. I grew up a block away from Buchtel Field. It would be great to see the Griffs and the Irish play and get a good first-hand look at your new field and all the improvements.

Also where do you think the state of the Hoban program at this point with losing the state championship two years in a row and players talking about leaving it seems like they are still a contender but to what extent?

Also where do you think the state of the Hoban program at this point with losing the state championship two years in a row and players talking about leaving it seems like they are still a contender but to what extent?
Sorry to say but I think the best is yet to come with Hoban football. The freshman team is full of D1 prospects.... 2 of which have already been offered. The Jr and Sr classes with both be stronger overall than the last two graduating classes. As much as a I know a lot of people would hope they would be on the decline its just not going to happen any time soon. The football program is a well tuned machine for getting kids ready for college.

From what I saw this year there were quite a few juniors and sophomores getting playing time for Hoban, so they're not going anywhere.

Sorry to say but I think the best is yet to come with Hoban football. The freshman team is full of D1 prospects.... 2 of which have already been offered. The Jr and Sr classes with both be stronger overall than the last two graduating classes. As much as a I know a lot of people would hope they would be on the decline its just not going to happen any time soon. The football program is a well tuned machine for getting kids ready for college.
Getting kids ready for college football? No, your statements are incorrect. There are no starters at big name schools. If they were at big schools, they are low on the depth chart and/or entered the transfer portal. Caeden Clark, Rumler, and many others left their main schools and are/on the low depth chart at their schools. Hey! I hope they do well. It ain’t easy being D1 and there’s a lot of sharks out there that want a bite to being on the field at D1. They could be outworked. Traynum is the only hope at a big name and I don’t know what will happen. I see him at a Rover position on defense but the RB position is stacked (if healthy) He might have a shot on defense but there are a lot of hungry kids on that Ohio State team. I’m not a hater, I’m just telling it how it is.

Hoban’s talent alone will win many games and carry deep playoff runs. Talent can win games in D2-D7 (sometimes even titles), but excellent coaching wins D1 titles. I don’t see them in a decline or meeting a challenge in Summit County until Walsh is back to they were in the late 90s and early 2010-2014. Walsh is getting stronger every year, but they aren’t quite there yet. 2-3 years you might see them challenging Hoban.