St Ursula Cincinnati Soccer Coach is OUT

PURPLE REIGN

Dave Ruehl is out. Will be reported as resignation, but I am told minor issue with a player was blown completely out of proportion. Player/family went to administration and SUA fired him for it. If anyone else has more information, please share or PM.

Last edited:

Maybe the “minor issue” was not deemed minor by the SUA Administration. Parents are well known SUA donors?

I’m glad they let him “resign” but it sounds like there were multiple families that had issues and they don’t sound minor.

Some serious issues with multiple families and they let him resign so those issues would go away? If true SUA administration should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m going to stand up for Dave here and say that if you don’t know him, he’s a fantastic soccer coach and an equally amazing person!! My daughter had the pleasure to play for him last Fall at TFA on the little U8 Elite team and he was just phenomenal with those little girls! They were unstoppable. We were actually looking forward to watching the SUA high school girls play this fall under Dave’s leadership. Super bummed to hear this! Definitely the schools loss.

I’m going to stand up for Dave here and say that if you don’t know him, he’s a fantastic soccer coach and an equally amazing person!! My daughter had the pleasure to play for him last Fall at TFA on the little U8 Elite team and he was just phenomenal with those little girls! They were unstoppable. We were actually looking forward to watching the SUA high school girls play this fall under Dave’s leadership. Super bummed to hear this! Definitely the schools loss.
big difference between U8 girls and high school players....

Actually NOT a super great person or coach. Glad your daughter had a good time but I’m disappointed that they retained any of the staff. The new head coach was present during the racist jokes and said and did nothing so I’m not expecting much from his leadership in directing a change. They even brought assistant coaches who were played on the team who contributed to the horrible environment. So sad but not surprising.

Actually NOT a super great person or coach. Glad your daughter had a good time but I’m disappointed that they retained any of the staff. The new head coach was present during the racist jokes and said and did nothing so I’m not expecting much from his leadership in directing a change. They even brought assistant coaches who were played on the team who contributed to the horrible environment. So sad but not surprising.
Phew. Glad it was just racist jokes, thought it was some stuff for a minute. People need to lighten up.

I agree. Dave is a great coach and seems like a decent person.

The recently resigned SUA Head Coach and former players who were Assistants created a horrible, and racist environment?

I know nothing of what happened here, but unless you know Dave personally it is wrong to assume anything about him or what he said, or didn’t say. Unless you were there, and witnessed something, don’t assume it happened the way it is reported. I do know Dave, although I havent spoken to him in years. My personal interactions with him were all positive, and he clearly cared for the kids he was coaching. Unfortunately it is difficult to say anything to anyone these days.

How does Ursula have all that talent and manage to get spanked and go 1-3?
New coach, early in the season, no scrimmages. There is a lot that goes into meshing talent together in a new system under a new coach. Sometimes it clicks right away, but usually it takes more than just a few games. I am not close enough to the program to know whether that is what is actually happening, but I think it a likely explanation. Historically, St. Ursula teams may underperform in the early stages of the season, but they are a tough out in the postseason. Hoping we get there this year.

Who did they end up hiring, I haven't heard? No one had scrimmages to that should be an equalizer across all of soccer but I agree they usually adjust well so I wouldn't count them out yet either.

New coach, early in the season, no scrimmages. There is a lot that goes into meshing talent together in a new system under a new coach. Sometimes it clicks right away, but usually it takes more than just a few games. I am not close enough to the program to know whether that is what is actually happening, but I think it a likely explanation. Historically, St. Ursula teams may underperform in the early stages of the season, but they are a tough out in the postseason. Hoping we get there this year.
Not really a “new” coach or new system. Guy has been there for years. Same kick and chase system Ruehl used.

Don't have input on the past coaching situation and I have nothing but respect for St. Ursula and their program. However I noticed something in a few games I have seen that is ridiculous. Why would any school put a freshman on the varsity and not play her in the game. This is and has happened at Ursula and a few other programs. There is always the option of playing her on JV and bringing her up for the few games where there is an opportunity to play. All this does is kill the girls confidence and put a terrible taste in her mouth for soccer.

Don't have input on the past coaching situation and I have nothing but respect for St. Ursula and their program. However I noticed something in a few games I have seen that is ridiculous. Why would any school put a freshman on the varsity and not play her in the game. This is and has happened at Ursula and a few other programs. There is always the option of playing her on JV and bringing her up for the few games where there is an opportunity to play. All this does is kill the girls confidence and put a terrible taste in her mouth for soccer.
Lack of HS Varsity Coaching Experience for the Interim.

Lack of HS Varsity Coaching Experience for the Interim.

Disagree. Interim HC has been on the Varsity staff as assistant Varsity HC for 2-3 years and another 6 or so years with the JV teams. The program has been toxic for a few years. The racial and other inappropriate actions/comments certainly don’t help and the entire staff should have been fired (I mean resigned) along with former HC. Easier said than done 1-2 weeks prior to try outs. They always seem to win a few at tournament time though.