St. Thomas cancelling games now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I counted 16 kids on the Aquinas jr high team at JFK today. They have a couple really good athletes but their coaching is pretty suspect. JFK won 42-12.

The Southeast game is listed as canceled on St. Thomas Aquinas' Arbiter page. So far, that is the only place where I've seen it listed as canceled, but it's generally a better source than some guy sitting 3 stools down the bar who's 3 pints in. Is this game on or off? o_O

Last edited:
The Southeast game is listed as canceled on St. Thomas Aquinas' Arbiter page. So far, that is the only place where I've seen it listed as canceled, but it's generally a better source than some guy sitting 3 stools down the bar who's 3 pints in. Is this game on or off? o_O
How do you look that up?

I would imagine southeast is perfectly fine missing that game this week. For seeding it’s a no brainer and don’t want to risk losing players to injury this close to the playoffs against a team who can barely field a team

Not certain Southeast can improve or drop seeding wise. Won't get a 2nd Round home game either way. Top 4 are all very solid. Maybe a competitive game will come their way, I agree Aquinas was a no win for everyone.

Central better start looking for a week 10.
Here is what is bothering me the most. This is undoubtedly not a COVID related cancellation, nor was the previous week, but instead of giving advance notice they are stringing teams along until Wednesday/Thursday. I refuse to believe that they are really playing this week to week with any intentions to play. I believe they are trying to save face amongst their constituents, and dodge questions from parents and supporters by not cancelling multiple weeks or the rest of the season.

Here is what is bothering me the most. This is undoubtedly not a COVID related cancellation, nor was the previous week, but instead of giving advance notice they are stringing teams along until Wednesday/Thursday. I refuse to believe that they are really playing this week to week with any intentions to play. I believe they are trying to save face amongst their constituents, and dodge questions from parents and supporters by not cancelling multiple weeks or the rest of the season.
Agree it really is a spineless move.

A lot of teams are doing this. They know on Monday/Tuesday but don't cancel till the last minute. It's wrong in every way.

A lot of teams are doing this. They know on Monday/Tuesday but don't cancel till the last minute. It's wrong in every way.
It's wrong to do it that way for many reason. I do agree it is a saving face move. They have now cancelled 3 games in a row. There is a deeper issue they just don't want people to know about. I did hear they are still practicing.

I counted 16 kids on the Aquinas jr high team at JFK today. They have a couple really good athletes but their coaching is pretty suspect. JFK won 42-12.

Then kids were missing and didn't go to the game for some reason, there were 21 at the Rootstown game two weeks ago and 21 at the CCC game last week with one just in a jersey not pads. I doubt 5 kids quit in one week this late in the season. The CCC game is on their youtube channel so you can count them on that. Even with kids missing, JFK must have one heck of a middle school team because I don't think the STA middle school team is bad. They tied Rootstown 30-30 and beat CCC 26-14 (26-8 until Central scored with a few minutes left in the 4th). There were a good number of kids on other teams out the last couple weeks due to covid tracing and positive tests so I don't know if it made its way to the middle school football team. Volleyball had to cancel a couple games due to covid.

I also don't worry too much about middle school coaching, it is bad at most schools with all the Dad coaches.

Last edited:
Odd how on Tuesday 10/5 the STA volleyball team cancelled their 10/7 game at Canton CC (Central's senior night), supposedly due to a Covid case on the team, but then played Saturday 10/9 against Hubbard. :unsure:

Odd how on Tuesday 10/5 the STA volleyball team cancelled their 10/7 game at Canton CC (Central's senior night), supposedly due to a Covid case on the team, but then played Saturday 10/9 against Hubbard. :unsure:

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, very odd since a girl on the team tested positive and the entire team had to quarantine out of school and wait 5 days to test as that is the testing protocol, Jesus Christ. The 5th day was Saturday and the rest of the team tested negative in the morning and could play that afternoon. The girl who tested positive still could not play in the Hubbard game.

They also canceled the JFK volleyball game that week for the same reason. Since it is a league game, I believe it is being made up next week.

Last edited:
While I can certainly understand the STA seniors wanting to play one final HS football game (even though I thought I heard one of the seniors was out for the rest of the year injured anyway), I can't imagine they are going to enjoy a single second of being on the field and getting embarrassed by their archrival. How does an undermanned squad losing 60-0 to CCC and probably getting more kids hurt next Friday night benefit anyone?

I certainly hope as Aquinas' sister school (despite many alumni and supporters despising the other school) and part of the same Stark County Catholic school umbrella, that Lindesmith doesn't "run it up" on the Knights next week. If he does (which will be pretty easy to do), then I hope STA returns the favor when they get the program back on more solid footing in a couple years. There were certainly a few games 10 year ago or so when Aquinas could have run it up much more than they did against the Crusaders. But if Central just keeps running the ball and no one tackles them, then I can't blame them for just running it into the endzone repeatedly.

I just don't think this game should be played next week....only benefit to either school is that some Central parents and supporters get a good laugh out of it...and Aquinas makes some money on the gate.

an undermanned squad losing 60-0 to CCC and pro
While I can certainly understand the STA seniors wanting to play one final HS football game (even though I thought I heard one of the seniors was out for the rest of the year injured anyway), I can't imagine they are going to enjoy a single second of being on the field and getting embarrassed by their archrival. How does an undermanned squad losing 60-0 to CCC and probably getting more kids hurt next Friday night benefit anyone?

I certainly hope as Aquinas' sister school (despite many alumni and supporters despising the other school) and part of the same Stark County Catholic school umbrella, that Lindesmith doesn't "run it up" on the Knights next week. If he does (which will be pretty easy to do), then I hope STA returns the favor when they get the program back on more solid footing in a couple years. There were certainly a few games 10 year ago or so when Aquinas could have run it up much more than they did against the Crusaders. But if Central just keeps running the ball and no one tackles them, then I can't blame them for just running it into the endzone repeatedly.

I just don't think this game should be played next week....only benefit to either school is that some Central parents and supporters get a good laugh out of it...and Aquinas makes some money on the gate.

Honor the contract...should Central of played STA in those years when they knew they were going to probably be embarrassed by STA?

Then kids were missing and didn't go to the game for some reason, there were 21 at the Rootstown game two weeks ago and 21 at the CCC game last week with one just in a jersey not pads. I doubt 5 kids quit in one week this late in the season. The CCC game is on their youtube channel so you can count them on that. Even with kids missing, JFK must have one heck of a middle school team because I don't think the STA middle school team is bad. They tied Rootstown 30-30 and beat CCC 26-14. There were a good number of kids on other teams out the last couple weeks due to covid tracing and positive tests so I don't know if it made its way to the middle school football team. Volleyball had to cancel a couple games due to covid.

I also don't worry too much about middle school coaching, it is bad at most schools with all the Dad coaches.
I was wondering because I know it was mentioned on here that there were 25 kids or so. They have 3 or 4 kids that, if they go to STA, could be very good. The QB, and a couple of RBs really stood out. I know coaching at the JH level isn't always the greatest, but some of their schemes were interesting to say the least.

JFKs JH team is very good. They are 5-0, averaging about 45 points a game and beat Rootstown 54-20 and Howland 36-8. Between the 7th, 8th and 9th graders Kennedy will be absolutely stacked in a few years.

Friday's game canceled, but STA game vs Central is still on.
I'll believe it when I see it. If they haven't had the players to play the previous three games, what would suddenly change for the final game of the season? As I said previously, I hope they have the decency to cancel in advance so that CCC can attempt to schedule a game, although finding a team week ten that will want to play is going to be a tall task. If I were CCC I would be in communication with anyone who would be willing to fill the void in a pinch since it appears that this may not be confirmed until the last minute, which is in no doubt by design.

For those suggesting the game shouldn't happen because they may run the score up, that is beyond stupid. STA chose to commit to a ten game schedule with limited numbers in the beginning of the year, knowing that this was a real possibility. Additionally, to insinuate that CCC would run up the score on anyone is asinine and ignorant as that has never been a trait associated with CCC. So, if they are able to play, play. If not, cancel now out of respect for your opponent. Don't wait until Wednesday night or Thursday to screw over someone else.

I was wondering because I know it was mentioned on here that there were 25 kids or so. They have 3 or 4 kids that, if they go to STA, could be very good. The QB, and a couple of RBs really stood out. I know coaching at the JH level isn't always the greatest, but some of their schemes were interesting to say the least.

JFKs JH team is very good. They are 5-0, averaging about 45 points a game and beat Rootstown 54-20 and Howland 36-8. Between the 7th, 8th and 9th graders Kennedy will be absolutely stacked in a few years.
I believe it was mentioned 23 on the middle school team which I think is what they may have started out with, they have had 21 at the last couple games, so I don't know why the other 5 didn't travel to JFK. Yes, it looks like JFK will be contending for a lot going forward and won't be down anytime soon, because I do think STA has talent on the lower school team.

I am somewhat wary, however, of predicting high school success on 7th, 8th and 9th grade players as boys develop at completely different ages. I have seen 5'9" 145lb 9th graders end up being 6'3" 215lbs by 12th grade and I have seen 6'2" 210lb 9th graders end up only being 6'3" 220lbs as seniors. But it sounds like JFK has a bunch of good players so the odds are good the that the football team will be good to very good for years to come.

Last edited:
Jaws
I believe it was mentioned 23 on the middle school team which I think is what they may have started out with, they have had 21 at the last couple games, so I don't know why the other 5 didn't travel to JFK. Yes, it looks like JFK will be contending for a lot going forward and won't be down anytime soon, because I do think STA has talent on the lower school team.

I am somewhat wary, however, of predicting high school success on 7th, 8th and 9th grade players as boys develop at completely different ages. I have seen 5'9" 145lb 9th graders end up being 6'3" 215lbs by 12th grade and I have seen 6'2" 210lb 9th graders end up only being 6'3" 220lbs as seniors. But it sounds like JFK has a bunch of good players so the odds are good the that the football team will be good to very good for years to come.
I heard JFK 8th grade team last year was even better. I heard they had a good rb, wr, and qb

Status
Not open for further replies.