St. Thomas cancelling games now

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sold their souls for enrollment for state vouchers which gave them a temporary boost. It's a very high risk move. Their old AD and coach made promises then left the kids hanging. It blew up and now they're paying for it big time with a lot of those kids leaving going back to Glenaok and McKinley. Situation is dire. I am also familiar with CCC but I don't think they do a ton of vouchers so they have stayed more stable and from I hear had 25 freshman kids for football this yr. The tale of 2 catholic schools miles apart approaching things completely different.
Sold their soul to state vouchers? Are you judging the makeup of the entire school on what people on here are saying as 20 kids on the football team? I didn’t realize that voucher kids can’t be 3.0+ students who participate in the arts, NHS, choir, etc….as for CCC, the number is correct that 35% percent are EdChoice students. It’s a demographical change that will be heading to the west side soon as Perry, Massillon have schools on the list. Also, with the increase in funding for the income based scholarship, many traditional families have been able to take advantage of the program.

Stark county is continuing to lose jobs that keep families here, average household income is dropping, schools are failing…these numbers will continue to increase around the private schools.

What % is it?
Also, you forgot St Paul's feeds into CCC. My kid's 2024 class from St Paul's had double digit kids from the class go to CCC. I don't think any are ed choice.
It’s pretty common knowledge that all the elementary schools in stark county that feed into central and aquinas are 65% EdChoice except for 2. To think that those numbers aren’t going to trickle up into the high schools is irrational. As for the families you don’t think that are on scholarship, I bet a few could take advantage of it if they could. Which is why St. Paul’s had a drop in enrollment this year, many families left because they could go for free at another school a few miles down the road. Smart, if you don’t want to drop 5k for a Catholic education.

Canton Central Catholic is now about 34% EdChoice (1/3 of their enrollment). Central's two biggest feeder schools St. Mikes is about 40% EdChoice now and St. Joan of Arc is about 60% EdChoice. So CCC will be about half voucher in a couple years. JFK has pretty much the exact same % of EdChoice in the school as Aquinas so I really don't get the comments about JFK. Aquinas, JFK and Canton Central Catholic, very soon, would all close without vouchers. Just the reality of the day.

Didn't Jaws post that Mooney only had 20 incoming freshman boys and girls this year. They have about 90 freshman. I have no idea where Jaws gets half the stuff he posts on here. JFK is not exactly booming. I realize Mooney is down right now in football, so it may be a good time for JFK to schedule them. When is the last time JFK even played Mooney or Ursuline in football?

Unless Aquinas has another complete goof lie to kids on the football team this year causing more than half the team transfers out like last year, Aquinas will have a better roster next season and will be back to competitive and may be pretty good again as soon as 2023. There are 23 football players on the 7/8th grade middle school team and 24 (not 18) on varsity this season with only 5 seniors. As long as Burick stays the course there is absolutely no danger of the school not having a football team. The Knights will be fine.

It's great to see there is still so much interest in Aquinas, even in a year they are going to go winless. Everyone can get back to the sewing circle, just thought I would add some actual facts to the discussion.
1997/98 we played Ursuline. I believe my senior year was the last time we played Ursuline and Canton Central Catholic or shortly thereafter. We used to always scrimmage Mooney every year until then also.

Even though CCC and STA are both in the same county, I see both of these schools trending in a different direction even with EdChoice being a large part of their enrollment as well. I hope STA can figure it out.

Im betting its not a guess. He is very tied into the JFK program.
Someone please untie me.......LOL.....
Is this guaranteed or a guess?
Death and taxes are guaranteed and one can throw BAMA football being the cream of the crop in college football as long as Saban is at the helm. The game is to be played as scheduled as of 10/01/21 11:24am.....When or if such information changes I will post an update

Technically, yeah, but we all know what draws kids in....
STA will keep a team if they can get their 8th graders to stay in high school, potentially having 25-30 players next year. You are correct that football is a major driver in enrollment, especially in Stark County.

Coach Cook did a nice job in his time at the school, the alumni I talk to say that his coaching staff cause a lot of turmoil which drove students to leave. Beyond that, I hope no school ever loses football, only hurts the county

STA will keep a team if they can get their 8th graders to stay in high school, potentially having 25-30 players next year. You are correct that football is a major driver in enrollment, especially in Stark County.

Coach Cook did a nice job in his time at the school, the alumni I talk to say that his coaching staff cause a lot of turmoil which drove students to leave. Beyond that, I hope no school ever loses football, only hurts the county
There are not near 30 kids. #2 it is 7th and 8th grade. #3 traditionally they scatter after 8th because it is made up of different feeder schools on the middle school team. They go to public, St. Thomas and CCC. It wont be anywhere near the 25 number over the next 2 yrs.
I am not sure how to view what Cook did. They were more successful but it was like a sugar high. It was done through now broken promises and a HUGE influx of ed choice students with no traditional ties to a catholic education. It was a house of cards and Cook left it much worse than he found it. One of my best friends is an strong alumni with a boy in the program and I have heard the intimate details of it all.

Last edited:
There are not near 30 kids. #2 it is 7th and 8th grade. #3 traditionally they scatter after 8th because it is made up of different feeder schools on the middle school team. They go to public, St. Thomas and CCC. It wont be anywhere near the 25 number over the next 2 yrs.
I am not sure how to view what Cook did. They were more successful but it was like a sugar high. It was done through now broken promises and a HUGE influx of ed choice students with no traditional ties to a catholic education. It was a house of cards and Cook left it much worse than he found it. One of my best friends is an strong alumni with a boy in the program and I have heard the intimate details of it all.
I’m not saying there are 30 coming up in 8th. They have 20 kids this year. Going to lose a few seniors. Can’t they get 10-15 kids to play next year? If so, that will be 25-30

Sold their soul to state vouchers? Are you judging the makeup of the entire school on what people on here are saying as 20 kids on the football team? I didn’t realize that voucher kids can’t be 3.0+ students who participate in the arts, NHS, choir, etc….as for CCC, the number is correct that 35% percent are EdChoice students. It’s a demographical change that will be heading to the west side soon as Perry, Massillon have schools on the list. Also, with the increase in funding for the income based scholarship, many traditional families have been able to take advantage of the program.

Stark county is continuing to lose jobs that keep families here, average household income is dropping, schools are failing…these numbers will continue to increase around the private schools.
The great St Thomas teams of the 80 red
Let's hope! Those kids who have stuck it out through this nonsense deserve it.
i wonder if Louisville kids consider enrolling at STA since their program is on the down swing?

i wonder if Louisville kids consider enrolling at STA since their program is on the down swing?
That's an interesting thought, but having trouble imagining parents having that conversation

"Lets move Timmy from our public school where the team is bad but the Booster Club has money coming out it's ears to a private school that's going to cost us $5-$10k a year & they just cancelled their football season because they don't have enough kids"

Is it even feasible to combine CCC and STA? It's not like they are even close to each other, it's quite a hike from the STA campus to CCC. I dont know the demographics of where STA gets most of their kids, but I'm assuming it's within a 10 mile radius of the school. Do you think those kids would travel to Perry Township to play football

It‘s horrible Aquinas has these kids as part of the Aquinas family.

I promise, this is my last post on this thread.
Yeah, certainly not a good look from some of our fellow good Catholics. Some may need to get to Mass ASAP and probably Confession as well.

Maybe Central can bring back the blackface Aquinas-Week rally like they did for basketball back in 2006. Dust off the Afro wigs and get out the face paint. :ROFLMAO: I still to this day can’t believe Father Kaylor allowed that.

Last edited:
The great St Thomas teams of the 80 red

I doubt you'd let your kid go into a program that is cancelling games and it isn't even covid. Well, unless he super sucks and you think he should start.

That's an interesting thought, but having trouble imagining parents having that conversation

"Lets move Timmy from our public school where the team is bad but the Booster Club has money coming out it's ears to a private school that's going to cost us $5-$10k a year & they just cancelled their football season because they don't have enough kids"
Good point, plus open enrollment didn’t exist back then

It‘s horrible Aquinas has these kids as part of the Aquinas family.

I promise, this is my last post on this thread.
WTH does this have to do with football? Seriously. Seems like a reach. Fact remains. St Thomas kids didn't get to play a game tonight due to the disaster program. Not the fault of current coach. He stepped into a well. Maybe he will be baby Jessica. Unfortunately, no one is there to save him.

Last edited:
What are the broken promises that continue to be referenced?

Also kids go to STA middle school and then end up at Central? Seems to defeat the purpose of STA having a middle school.

Status
Not open for further replies.