St. Thomas cancelling games now

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically what happened. As an alum, its disheartening. The end may be near for the football program. Cook did a great job winning while there, but in hindsight it seems he was more interested in boosting his own resume than rebuilding a long term program.
Can a private school in Ohio stay in business very long without a football program for boys to play in?

Can a private school in Ohio stay in business very long without a football program for boys to play in?
There are a few, but not sure how successfully. Aquinas has a rich tradition when it comes to football. It would be a shame to see it go away. A state title and 2 runners-up in nothing to sneeze at

Last edited:
The hudl film of the football team I mean. I should of clarified. Lol
Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

And still no one with any sense has shut them down..

VANLUE STATS:

0-6
PF-104
PA-347

HOW CAN THOSE KIDS BE HAVING ANY FUN?
I'M AMAZED THEY CONTINUE ON.
CUDOS TO THE HEARTS OF THOSE PLAYERS.
THEY MUST HONESTLY LOVE....THE.....GAME (y):banana:
The amazing thing about Vanlue is if the records on the Yappi sports wiki are correct they haven't had a winning season since 1964 and yet they still manage to keep a program going.

They sold their souls for enrollment for state vouchers which gave them a temporary boost. It's a very high risk move. Their old AD and coach made promises then left the kids hanging. It blew up and now they're paying for it big time with a lot of those kids leaving going back to Glenaok and McKinley. Situation is dire. I am also familiar with CCC but I don't think they do a ton of vouchers so they have stayed more stable and from I hear had 25 freshman kids for football this yr. The tale of 2 catholic schools miles apart approaching things completely different.

Canton Central Catholic is now about 34% EdChoice (1/3 of their enrollment). Central's two biggest feeder schools St. Mikes is about 40% EdChoice now and St. Joan of Arc is about 60% EdChoice. So CCC will be about half voucher in a couple years. JFK has pretty much the exact same % of EdChoice in the school as Aquinas so I really don't get the comments about JFK. Aquinas, JFK and Canton Central Catholic, very soon, would all close without vouchers. Just the reality of the day.

Didn't Jaws post that Mooney only had 20 incoming freshman boys and girls this year. They have about 90 freshman. I have no idea where Jaws gets half the stuff he posts on here. JFK is not exactly booming. I realize Mooney is down right now in football, so it may be a good time for JFK to schedule them. When is the last time JFK even played Mooney or Ursuline in football?

Mooney is in some trouble. They only have 21 total kids coming in this freshman class. Boys and girls.

Unless Aquinas has another complete goof lie to kids on the football team this year causing more than half the team transfers out like last year, Aquinas will have a better roster next season and will be back to competitive and may be pretty good again as soon as 2023. There are 23 football players on the 7/8th grade middle school team and 24 (not 18) on varsity this season with only 5 seniors. As long as Burick stays the course there is absolutely no danger of the school not having a football team. The Knights will be fine.

It's great to see there is still so much interest in Aquinas, even in a year they are going to go winless. Everyone can get back to the sewing circle, just thought I would add some actual facts to the discussion.

Last edited:
Curious. What % is St Thomas Ed choice?
Also, I was at a St. Thomas game this yr. There were not 24 players on the team. I counted. If there was they wouldn't of cancelled a game this week due to a few injuries. I counted 20.

The exact same percent as JFK and about the same percent Canton CC will have in a short time, if they want to stay open.

I guess you are right, I don't happen to know every kid on the football team by name. My fault, I must be counting a couple kids twice.

The exact same percent as JFK and about the same percent Canton CC will have in a short time, if they want to stay open.

I guess you are right, I don't happen to know every kid on the football team by name. My fault, I must be counting a couple kids twice.
What % is it?
Also, you forgot St Paul's feeds into CCC. My kid's 2024 class from St Paul's had double digit kids from the class go to CCC. I don't think any are ed choice.

What % is it?
Also, you forgot St Paul's feeds into CCC. My kid's 2024 class from St Paul's had double digit kids from the class go to CCC. I don't think any are ed choice.

It's public record, look it up.

Aquinas also had about 10 kids from St. Paul last year. I think Hoban got about 8 or so and the rest went to public schools. You are correct St. Paul will not accept any vouchers, they are the only Catholic school in Stark to that does not but St. Paul also sends the lowest percentage of their students to Stark Catholic high schools (Aquinas and Central) than any other Catholic grade school in Stark County. It has been that way for years. Most go to public school after 8th grade and a growing number are going to Hoban.

It's public record, look it up.

Aquinas also had 10 kids from St. Paul last year also. I think Hoban got about 8 or so and the rest went to public schools. You are correct St. Paul will not accept any vouchers, they are the only Catholic school in Stark to that does not.
They did not have 10 kids go from St Paul's. There were 6. Hoban got 1. CCC got 11. The rest to public.

They did not have 10 kids go from St Paul's. There were 6. Hoban got 1. CCC got 11. The rest to public.

I'll have to ask the Stark Catholic President who told me that and also sent his daughter to Aquinas. You may be right however, that was in the spring before butts were in the seats. The number always changes. 11, wow, 5 more than Aquinas, that is not an impressive number for Stark Catholic high schools for a school that usually has 40+ 8th graders. I won't get into the reputation issues and the comments I have heard from some St. Paul parents regarding EdChoice. Looks like the number of St. Paul kids going to Central will get even lower as Central has to rely more and more on EdChoice to stay open.

Last edited:
I'll have to ask the Stark Catholic President who told me that and also sent his daughter to Aquinas.
Yes, his daughter is 1 of the 6. We know all the families and exactly where each went. My numbers are correct. My kid was in the class with all these kids. We know. Just counted out every kid in my head. You can ask but that's the answer.

Yes, his daughter is 1 of the 6. We know all the families and exactly where each went. My numbers are correct. My kid was in the class with all these kids. We know. Just counted out every kid in my head. You can ask but that's the answer.

I acknowledged that, but those are not game changing numbers either way when Central is going start to get 40+ EdChoice kids from St. Mikes and St. Joan of Arc every year plus at least 10 or more from St. Marys.

Last edited:
Canton Central Catholic is now about 34% EdChoice (1/3 of their enrollment). Central's two biggest feeder schools St. Mikes is about 40% EdChoice now and St. Joan of Arc is about 60% EdChoice. So CCC will be about half voucher in a couple years. JFK has pretty much the exact same % of EdChoice in the school as Aquinas so I really don't get the comments about JFK. Aquinas, JFK and Canton Central Catholic, very soon, would all close without vouchers. Just the reality of the day.

Didn't Jaws post that Mooney only had 20 incoming freshman boys and girls this year. They have about 90 freshman. I have no idea where Jaws gets half the stuff he posts on here. JFK is not exactly booming. I realize Mooney is down right now in football, so it may be a good time for JFK to schedule them. When is the last time JFK even played Mooney or Ursuline in football?

Unless Aquinas has another complete goof lie to kids on the football team this year causing more than half the team transfers out like last year, Aquinas will have a better roster next season and will be back to competitive and may be pretty good again as soon as 2023. There are 23 football players on the 7/8th grade middle school team and 24 (not 18) on varsity this season with only 5 seniors. As long as Burick stays the course there is absolutely no danger of the school not having a football team. The Knights will be fine.

It's great to see there is still so much interest in Aquinas, even in a year they are going to go winless. Everyone can get back to the sewing circle, just thought I would add some actual facts to the discussion.

Salty about the state of your school? My comments about your school are a direct reflection of exactly what happened. They brought in coaches that tried to take shortcuts to get back to relevancy and it blew up in their faces. Simple. How many kids that were on last years roster are no longer enrolled in the school?

JFK is doing fine. I told you there was a waiting list for theclower campus and the jr high. Last years graduating class was the smallest in quite some time but all the upcoming classes are bigger. I believe enrollment across the board was up 4% or so.

Yes we have Edchoice students but many of them don't even play sports let alone having an entire football roster full like some places. A overwhelming majority of our team has been in the school system since grade school and jr high. Heck, a good portion of the team is 2nd and 3rd generation legacies.

I didn't do a headcount on Mooney's incoming freshmen but I was told how many kids they had by someone who I believe and would know.

Good to know Aquinas has 20+ on their Jr. High team. Our middle school team has about tge same #s and they are very much looking forward to playing them. It will be a good gauge on what the future will bring.

Salty about the state of your school? My comments about your school are a direct reflection of exactly what happened. They brought in coaches that tried to take shortcuts to get back to relevancy and it blew up in their faces. Simple. How many kids that were on last years roster are no longer enrolled in the school?

JFK is doing fine. I told you there was a waiting list for theclower campus and the jr high. Last years graduating class was the smallest in quite some time but all the upcoming classes are bigger. I believe enrollment across the board was up 4% or so.

Yes we have Edchoice students but many of them don't even play sports let alone having an entire football roster full like some places. A overwhelming majority of our team has been in the school system since grade school and jr high. Heck, a good portion of the team is 2nd and 3rd generation legacies.

I didn't do a headcount on Mooney's incoming freshmen but I was told how many kids they had by someone who I believe and would know.

Good to know Aquinas has 20+ on their Jr. High team. Our middle school team has about tge same #s and they are very much looking forward to playing them. It will be a good gauge on what the future will bring.

Not salty Jaws, just stating some facts for everyone. I try to keep the rule to not bad mouth other Catholic schools as we are all in the same boat and things do not look good for Catholic schools nationwide going forward and that certainly includes every Catholic high school in the DOY. Unfortunately, I do have to make some exceptions when I see other posters not having similar respect for their fellow Catholic schools.

Not salty Jaws, just stating some facts for everyone. I try to keep the rule to not bad mouth other Catholic schools as we are all in the same boat and things do not look good for Catholic schools nationwide going forward, but I do make some exceptions when I see other posters not having similar respect for their fellow Catholic schools.
I have no clue where to find ed choice numbers. You seem to know the STA number as you said it is similar to JFK. What is the number? Why state you know it and refuse to say the number but look it up.

I have no clue where to find ed choice numbers. You seem to know the STA number as you said it is similar to JFK. What is the number? Why state you know it and refuse to say the number but look it up.

Not to respond for Buck, but the numbers are not all that difficult to find.

Also, not gonna lie, this thread is more than entertaining me today and the troll that started it has to be laughing his A $ $ off.

Curious, why do you block your profile on an already anonymous message board. ?

Not salty Jaws, just stating some facts for everyone. I try to keep the rule to not bad mouth other Catholic schools as we are all in the same boat and things do not look good for Catholic schools nationwide going forward and that certainly includes every Catholic high school in the DOY. Unfortunately, I do have to make some exceptions when I see other posters not having similar respect for their fellow Catholic schools.
I have no problem with Aquinas itself or any other Catholic or private school. I'm probably one of the biggest privete school proponents that you would ever find, on here or in public. I do however have a problem with the way they went about business the last couple of years. It gives all of the privates a bad name and just isn't a good look at all. There were quite a few Aquinas guys on here defending them and their tactics when I called them out for it. I was 1000% correct about how it would endand I haven't said anything that was untrue. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who brings this unto themselves.

I have no problem with Aquinas itself or any other Catholic or private school. I'm probably one of the biggest privete school proponents that you would ever find, on here or in public. I do however have a problem with the way they went about business the last couple of years. It gives all of the privates a bad name and just isn't a good look at all. There were quite a few Aquinas guys on here defending them and their tactics when I called them out for it. I was 1000% correct about how it would endand I haven't said anything that was untrue. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who brings this unto themselves.

You take high school football way to seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.