St Ignatus vs Hoban.

Hoban vs Harrisburg

Ignatius lost to Mentor for two reasons, very much like the Browns on Sunday: penalties and turnovers in the 4th qtr. They need to cut down on both to have a chance in this one. Also, Hoban has something that has given Ignatius fits over the years - a qb who can run.

Last edited:
When looking at the Hoban schedule, this is the only tough game they have, so they will be extremely motivated to win. Ignatius has several very tough games. The difference might be at qb experience and line play. For that, combined with the schedule importance, the edge goes to Hoban
When looking at the Hoban schedule, this is the only tough game they have, so they will be extremely motivated to win. Ignatius has several very tough games. The difference might be at qb experience and line play. For that, combined with the schedule importance, the edge goes to Hoban
jury is out on the strength of Hoban schedule. We will know when fab 50 comes out. Last year they had the 3rd strongest in D2. The St V game is more important to Hoban in terms of motivation. IGGY is big because it’s IGGY and the Harbin’s that come with it. Harrisburg beat the #3 ranked team in PA the week before they played Hoban and won big last week. They were supposed to be very good and may be. The rest of their schedule is conference games except Canadian team who is the only people that would play them.

jury is out on the strength of Hoban schedule. We will know when fab 50 comes out. Last year they had the 3rd strongest in D2. The St V game is more important to Hoban in terms of motivation. IGGY is big because it’s IGGY and the Harbin’s that come with it. Harrisburg beat the #3 ranked team in PA the week before they played Hoban and won big last week. They were supposed to be very good and may be. The rest of their schedule is conference games except Canadian team who is the only people that would play them.

Then it's a hung jury because there are no more difficult teams on Hoban's schedule. That's not their fault, but the rest of the teams on that schedule will not be a challenge.

Last edited:
Then it's a hung jury because there are no more difficult teams on Hoban's schedule. That's not their fault, but the rest of the teams on that schedule will not be a challenge.
I think Benny is very talented, and should go 8-2 or 9-1. This game is huge for Hoban because of the Harbins, as the rest of the schedule could be very lean points wise.

I think Benny is very talented, and should go 8-2 or 9-1. This game is huge for Hoban because of the Harbins, as the rest of the schedule could be very lean points wise.

I also agree. I like to see Benny have a rebound year. With them being in region 6, semi-finals is a real possibility for them.

He's referencing a popular prediction made by a poster years ago when he predicted Winton Woods over St. X by 16. This was when St. X was at it's high point in terms of state championships.

He's referencing a popular prediction made by a poster years ago when he predicted Winton Woods over St. X by 16. This was when St. X was at it's high point in terms of state championships.

Thanks. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who remembered.

Hoban ranked #1 over several states in Midwest while Iggy didn't make top 10. So for anyone who puts stock in national rankings Hoban should cruise.

Btw I don't buy these strength of schedules people refer to like gospel. Says who and how??? Seems to me maximum possible computer points per all 10 opponents would be the least subjective. Besides Iggy I don't look at Hoban's sched. and think wow what a meatgrinder.

Last edited:
Hoban ranked #1 over several states in Midwest while Iggy didn't make top 10. So for anyone who puts stock in national rankings Hoban should cruise.

Btw I don't buy these strength of schedules people refer to like gospel. Says who and how??? Seems to me maximum possible computer points per all 10 opponents would be the least subjective. Besides Iggy I don't look at Hoban's sched. and think wow what a meatgrinder.
Hoban is tied to a league schedule for 5 weeks, so they can only do so much. The schedule is very similar to 2018; Harrisburg (who was the D1 equivalent PA runner-up last year, replaced Wayne), and a Canadian team replaced Ursuline. The rest is the same. It's not Hoban's fault that St V is a bit down, that game was a slug fest until last year, and will be again at some point. With the NCL dissolving for football after this season, it'll be interesting to see who they're able to fill the schedule out with next year.

Hoban is tied to a league schedule for 5 weeks, so they can only do so much. The schedule is very similar to 2018; Harrisburg (who was the D1 equivalent PA runner-up last year, replaced Wayne), and a Canadian team replaced Ursuline. The rest is the same. It's not Hoban's fault that St V is a bit down, that game was a slug fest until last year, and will be again at some point. With the NCL dissolving for football after this season, it'll be interesting to see who they're able to fill the schedule out with next year.
To be fair it is almost 100% certain that Hoban is responsible for St. V's underachieving as of late

And at least 5% responsible for Walsh Jesuit not even being able to win a game, I know of at least 1 Walsh legacy that played for Hoban the past few years.
St V was still very good during the 1st two years of this current Hoban run, and played 2 very close playoff games against them. There's plenty of talented kids in the Akron area, St V needs to do more than simply being the home of LeBron James to attract more of them. And the kid from Walsh went there his first two years, but couldn't stomach the ineptness of the program. He had a lot of friends at Hoban, and wanted to play for something.

St V was still very good during the 1st two years of this current Hoban run, and played 2 very close playoff games against them. There's plenty of talented kids in the Akron area, St V needs to do more than simply being the home of LeBron James to attract more of them. And the kid from Walsh went there his first two years, but couldn't stomach the ineptness of the program. He had a lot of friends at Hoban, and wanted to play for something.

They were competitive until the Hoban machine got completely up and running and by doing so attracted the area's top talent. That's not to suggest anything improper, they just out St. V'd St. V to the point that they not only got their share of the talent but a good share of the talent that used to find their way to St. V. As a result, you'll see the smallest crowd ever at the SVSM/Hoban game this year as the casual fan won't want to see a predictable game. The Hoban dominance in Summit County has become so prevalent the other private Catholic school programs in Summit County are rarely discussed on here any more. Their relevance and interest have declined with Hoban's dominance.

Like has been mentioned, I think this game comes down to health. 3 of Hoban's best 5 defensive players did not dress vs Mooney - 2 LB's and their best DB. If all 3 are out, Iggy has the edge. Hoban's first 22-25 are loaded, but the depth is not that of a D1 Iggy, Ed's or Mentor. Another factor under the radar - for the first time since this run started, Hoban's kicking game is not at the standard it has been. The young kicker just doesn't have the leg to be a factor, so you'll see squibs on kick-offs, especially with what Cmiel has done, and after watching last week, Hoban will be going on 4th down a lot inside the 30. Close games that might come down to a FG will be an issue this year.

How do you not talk even one soccer player into kicking part time for the best football team in the state?

#4 & #6 still out for Hoban on D, looks like #5 is back. Big losses for Hoban in a game like this, offense needs to pick up some slack.

Ignatius scores on opening drive, Hanna to Cook pass - Ign 7 Hbn 0
Hoban answers with a score on its opening drive - Ign 7, Hbn 7
Ignatius 3 and out. Hoban drives for a 2nd score - Hbn 14, Ign 7
end Q1
Ignatius fumbles kick-off return after Hoban TD, Hoban recovers at Ignatius 30. Hoban scores on a run - Hbn 21 Ign 7
Ign receives kick-off. QB fumbles and Hoban returns for a TD - Hbn 28 Ign 7
2 Wildcat turnovers yields 14 Hoban points
Ignatius junior Mangan kicks 53 yard field goal - Hbn 28 Ign 10

Last edited: