St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

I've seen all those QBs and Mutryn has to be top 2 or 3 if not one - in HS. I also hold some animosity towards Williams for some reason as I think Lamanna should have been the QB last year too. Williams, although I'm glad he played so well, never felt like a Wildcat to me.

FYI Eric Williams was named the starter for Yale this year. The freshman beat out a junior who was expected to start.

I wonder if the local media is making any Dowling comparisons/associations up there? BD-EW? I don't think EW has a Calvin Hill in his backfield.

Thinking about the LB play and a question Cat Fan asked a couple of weeks ago, but I must have missed the answer:

What is the status of Brett Bendokaitis (6'1" 220# senior, #67)?
He started a number of games last year when Khoury and Sheehan were hurt.
From I recall in this season's games, he's been on the bench in street clothes.
Perhaps he's the missing piece in the LB crew?

Thinking about the LB play and a question Cat Fan asked a couple of weeks ago, but I must have missed the answer:

What is the status of Brett Bendokaitis (6'1" 220# senior, #67)?
He started a number of games last year when Khoury and Sheehan were hurt.
From I recall in this season's games, he's been on the bench in street clothes.
Perhaps he's the missing piece in the LB crew?

He was not dressed against Mooney but was in pads against DLS and Mentor.

Don't know what his status is currently.

Eric Williams was 19-30 today for 250 yards with 3 interceptions in Yale's victory over Georgetown. He was the first freshman to start as QB for Yale since the 40's. He also had the longest pass play in Yale football history (which goes back a long, long way), a 98 yard TD play.

Eric Williams was 19-30 today for 250 yards with 3 interceptions in Yale's victory over Georgetown. He was the first freshman to start as QB for Yale since the 40's. He also had the longest pass play in Yale football history (which goes back a long, long way), a 98 yard TD play.

He's still no Brian Dowling!!!:p

Ignatius JV comment/remark:

VERY thin soph class. So many juniors playing down, very unusual.

McDowell is the #1 rushing team in Pa. Beat a team with an 18 game winning streak last week and rushed for 426. Only loss is by 1TD to Mentor. Might have to leave the 1's in a bit longer this week.

Ignatius is averaging 39.5 points per game and giving up 9.67. I don't need to point out their impressive statistical performances to anyone on this board, but I found those numbers to be pretty stark.

Ignatius is averaging 39.5 points per game and giving up 9.67. I don't need to point out their impressive statistical performances to anyone on this board, but I found those numbers to be pretty stark.

Think of the numbers if the 1's played the whole game and Chico didn't take his foot off the gas pedal.

slammer20 posted this in his very good analysis of the Cats after seeing last night's game.

They also like to run "wheel" routes with their twin set, with the wide receiver running a curl route inside of a slot receiver taking the safety deep on a flag route... creating space and gaps. Their "speed" receiver (or Hennessey) has been injured and LaManna likes to go to Siragusa (SP)... a tall and very sure handed receiver... They lack the definitive wide-out star on this '12 squad that would make this offense a three headed beast.

It got me thinking about this group of receivers in comparison to recent state championship teams. The ’01 and ’08 groups pretty much were indisputably great with Matt Miller and Gonzo and Connor Ryan and Joey Parris. Last year's group was probably a step below and ’99, with Foran, Arbeznik and Gresky (with Gannon playing almost exclusively defense) was, in my opinion, a step behind last year's group.

The thing about Siragusa, Zingale and Hyland (which I think, as a group, is markedly different with Hennessey in the mix) that I like is how similar they are — tall and with good hands, really good at giving LaManna big targets on curl routes and slants, and the ability to catch in traffic. But without Hennessey sucking up attention underneath, I don't think this group has shown a consistent ability to stretch the field on vertical routes. I don't know how much a strength or weakness that necessarily is (nor do I know LaManna's deep-ball ability or the need to call for 35-plus yard routes in blowout wins), but do others see that as a potential chink in the armor for a team without a lot of apparent weaknesses?

Granted, this observation comes from one TV game and three online games, having not been able to see one in person yet.

dump it off to Mcvey and no team has really shown the ability to stop that play yet.....it is like a runaway train with a head of steam.....

That play has been great all year but scares the heck out of me. If a defender anticipates it and gets a good jump it's an automatic six the other way.

I took in the JV game yesterday at Mooney and I was extremely impressed with the QB #18. Don't know the young man's name but he looks like he is going to be a special player. Good size, feet, speed, and decisions.

Ignatius JV comment/remark:

VERY thin soph class. So many juniors playing down, very unusual.

Don't know what the story on this is. What is the reason for playing the juniors down? Why don't the sophomores just play?

St Eds not bad with 44 pts vs 14 pts given up.
Defense and special teams win this one.

Don't know what the story on this is. What is the reason for playing the juniors down? Why don't the sophomores just play?

Most schools play juniors on the "reserve" or JV team. Historically, Ignatius hasn't...maybe they've done it in the past, but not the recent past. It's been a 10th grade team. This year's 10th grade has some weak spots. The grade IS NOT weak across the board, however...some good linemen (both sides), a couple of solid QB's, a good WR and TE. I don't know the philosophy behind bringing in some juniors at LB/S and RB primarily. I'm sure it's more than winning meaningless JV games. It turns out that the 11th grade is very deep, so it may in part be about getting some of them on the field. Seeing them play recently, it certainly appeared to me that the entire team has made significant progress, and not only because there's a junior at strong safety. The coaching is excellent at this level for Ignatius (Grbac-offense, Franzinger-defense), so I'm comfortable they "had their reasons".

As mentioned, when people expect certain things (and get something else), they may be unhappy. Hopefully, they thought about this before following through.

Last edited:
Bad blood cannot begin to describe the relationship between Auggie Bossu and John Wirtz. There's a picture in the 1965 Ignatian of the handshake between those two after the 1964 Charity Game. It makes the handshake between Bellichek and Ryan look like a lovefeast.

It would be nice if we had someone with knowledge of how to spell a coaches name. I think you meant Belichick yes?

How many of my postings did you have to go through until you discovered a misspelling? That was posted at least a month ago. And of a proper name yet! No question you're a looser (as you spell it).

Most schools play juniors on the "reserve" or JV team. Historically, Ignatius hasn't...maybe they've done it in the past, but not the recent past. It's been a 10th grade team. This year's 10th grade has some weak spots. The grade IS NOT weak across the board, however...some good linemen (both sides), a couple of solid QB's, a good WR and TE. I don't know the philosophy behind bringing in some juniors at LB/S and RB primarily. I'm sure it's more than winning meaningless JV games. It turns out that the 11th grade is very deep, so it may in part be about getting some of them on the field. Seeing them play recently, it certainly appeared to me that the entire team has made significant progress, and not only because there's a junior at strong safety. The coaching is excellent at this level for Ignatius (Grbac-offense, Franzinger-defense), so I'm comfortable they "had their reasons".

As mentioned, when people expect certain things (and get something else), they may be unhappy. Hopefully, they thought about this before following through.

The soph class is not that thin. Two soph LB injuries make it look that way right now. Cannata and Daugenti (sp?) are starting as RB's for JV and are both Jrs. Both see little playing time on V. The soph backs are Chavez and Russell. There are one or two other V's brought down for JV. It varies. Usually 1 Receiver and 1 LB.

Next year, the starter for RB at V will be Mike Vitale, he's a jr. Plays behind McVey right now. Dan W. graduates.

Personally, I think the sophs should get more playing time. They get very little playing time. Some games almost none. They are as good as the Jrs. Jrs are getting more and more time, sometimes into 3,4th quarter.

The coaching at times has been very questionable, at least in my view. Case in point is the last game against Mooney. Soph RB Russell goes in for the first time at end of 4th Q. We're up. Mid field. 23-14. 1st down, 8 yd gain. With 2 min on clock Grbac elects to kneel it for 2nd and 3rd down? Whoops! Clock not running out. Now the decision is made to run it again on 4th down in desparation to get a first. Huge blitz. Nothing. Complete rookie decision. Almost laughable. The right decision would have been to just get the first until time was comfortable.

Mooney gets the ball back with just a few seconds on clock. Bomb completed for a TD against the preferred Jr defender (and Jr. RB) Daugenti, and time just luckily runs out.

I would like to see the sophs start without any Jrs to see how it goes. Bring them in along the way if needed, sure. These jrs. got the full soph/JV improvement season and it would appear they will get it twice, leaving key development out for skill positions at receiver and RB. Neither of them will start next year so I don't really see the point.

There is a new JV kicker who looks to be the next Matt Colella/Tim Shenk. Toby Leahy. Kicks to the endzone 50% of the time and is a soph.

Daugenti and Cannata also do kick return for V. Never get to house. Usually about 10-15 yd. return. It's okay. I just miss the days of Frank DeSico and the big returns. We need to find that guy.

Last edited: