St. Ignatius soccer

Ignatius sophomore Spicer scored in the 18th minute for a 2-1 score, and that opened the gates over a very good Solon team as they let in two more goals for a 4-1 final for Ignatius. I believe that Ignatius next plays the winner of the Massillon Jackson-Hudson game.

Is Nolan Spicer the son of Scott, grandson of Bob?

Don't know, but to show off how old I am, I vividly remember Bob Spicer scoring the only TD in a 6-0 victory over John Marshall. I recall is so well because it was played in a driving rain, and I wanted to leave but my father insisted on staying to the end.

Don't know, but to show off how old I am, I vividly remember Bob Spicer scoring the only TD in a 6-0 victory over John Marshall. I recall is so well because it was played in a driving rain, and I wanted to leave but my father insisted on staying to the end.

Must have been your freshman year. I went to the Cathedral Latin game that year with my Dad (I was 8th grade) and to the playoff game with Holy Name, a Thursday afternoon contest at West Tech, if I recall. My Mom drove me and a friend over there from the east side and we took the rapid and bus home. On a different note, I made my daughters sit in a steady downpour at an Ignatius game against Lake Catholic at Mentor Stadium when they were in grade school. :)

Must have been your freshman year. I went to the Cathedral Latin game that year with my Dad (I was 8th grade) and to the playoff game with Holy Name, a Thursday afternoon contest at West Tech, if I recall. My Mom drove me and a friend over there from the east side and we took the rapid and bus home. On a different note, I made my daughters sit in a steady downpour at an Ignatius game against Lake Catholic at Mentor Stadium when they were in grade school. :)
I remenber that playoff Holy Name game from my freshman year. The whole school marched down Franklin Avenue and Lorain Avenue to West Tech. We watched as Frankie Solich (yes, that Frank Solich) ran all over the field from that single wing formation. My father, who was as the previous game that ended in a tie, said at that time (and he was a product of his times) called Solich, "The fastest white kid he had ever seen."

Latest Maxpreps rankings: Ignatius remains at #1, Medina moves up to #6, and out of the blue Jackson makes an apperance at #25.

Ignatius won 6-1, Medina also won 6-1. Teams will meet on Wednesday night. Other two members of the Final Four are St. X and New Albany.

If the Wildcats defeat Solon tomorrow night, they will tie the school record for consecutive victories (31). The futbol cats have twice won 31 in a row-- 2004-2006 and 2008-2009.

As far as the unbeaten streak, the Wildcats are currently at 40 in a row. The record is 61 (2014-2017).
Impressive. Tippecanoe out of D2 is currently on a 46 game unbeaten streak

Don't you think that the Ignatius play-by-play kid has a future in broadcasting? He's terrific. He knows the names of all the players on the opposing team and does a great job of describing the action on the pitch.

Don't you think that the Ignatius play-by-play kid has a future in broadcasting? He's terrific. He knows the names of all the players on the opposing team and does a great job of describing the action on the pitch.

SIBN has done a nice job in developing young sports broadcasters over the years. The alumni magazine had a story a couple of years ago profiling a few SIBN students who went on to bigger and better things in the sports broadcasting industry.

I agree - and this is coming from a completely neutral observer. My son has friends and club teammates on the Ignatius teams, but doesn't go there for school.

The primary soccer announcer is really excellent. Highly entertaining commentary throughout.

Haha look at AZ with the soccer lingo while mentioning the pitch! Sounds like a seasoned veteran describing the action!

Haha look at AZ with the soccer lingo while mentioning the pitch! Sounds like a seasoned veteran describing the action!

Well, he WAS around when the term was first used :)

For centuries, the verb “pitch” meant “to fit firmly in place”, like pitching stakes into the ground for a tent. (e.g. “pitching a tent”). It comes from the Middle English pichen, meaning to drive or fix firmly. Since the end of the 17th century, the process of pitching stumps into the ground to set up a game of cricket has been called “pitching the stumps”. By the late 1800s, people started using “pitch” as a noun to describe a playing area. By 1900, pitch was used specifically for a football (or soccer) playing area.

First if all, I want to apologize to all of you for the misinformation I gave out. When I first looked to SIBN this morning they said the game would be at Byers and that only audio would be provided. I was as shocked as anyone when I turned on SIBN and that it was being video streamed. Next, I watched the whole game even though it made me late for a dinner engagement. I though the Medina goaltender was so good that the game was headed for 1-0 final or overtime and a shootout. Third, as someone who has been watching this team all year it was nice to see bandwagon jumpers such as tom 48 to make an appearance on a non-foorball thread to support his alma mater and give a discourse on the origin of the word."pitch." Where were you 10 or 15 games ago? It seemed like I was the only Ignatius alum following the exploits of this great team. Personally, I think New Albany will be a pushover unless the Governor closes everything down like he did in March to deprive the hockey team of its fifth consecutive state title.

If you had watched as many soccer games as I have this year, perhaps the only Ignatius poster on Yappi who did so, please forgive me for picking up the terminology of the Ignatius announcers.

First if all, I want to apologize to all of you for the misinformation I gave out. When I first looked to SIBN this morning they said the game would be at Byers and that only audio would be provided. I was as shocked as anyone when I turned on SIBN and that it was being video streamed. Next, I watched the whole game even though it made me late for a dinner engagement. I though the Medina goaltender was so good that the game was headed for 1-0 final or overtime and a shootout. Third, as someone who has been watching this team all year it was nice to see bandwagon jumpers such as tom 48 to make an appearance on a non-foorball thread to support his alma mater and give a discourse on the origin of the word."pitch." Where were you 10 or 15 games ago? It seemed like I was the only Ignatius alum following the exploits of this great team. Personally, I think New Albany will be a pushover unless the Governor closes everything down like he did in March to deprive the hockey team of its fifth consecutive state title.

I will admit, you have been very loyal to the soccer team. For that, you are to be commended; you must be very pleased with the development of the team over the years.