St. Ignatius soccer

arizonawildcat

Rather than posting everything under the score of the St.X game, I thought the Cats deserved their own individual thread. Last night was another victory for the Cats, beating Mentor 6-0. I believe that win raises the Cats record to 14-0. Still ranked No.1 in Ohio and No. 2 nationally. Next game is against Dublin Jerome, and then the state tourney begins.

I think they only had a 14 game schedule this year, due to being shut down to start the season, so they're probably 13-0. It's a young team, so it will be interesting to see how they respond in big games late in the playoffs, but they're so talented and obviously well coached. And will be even better in the next year or two as well.

The soccer Cats defeated Dublin Jerome 5-0 today to finish the regular season undfeated. On a lesser note, the Ignatius JVs suffered their first loss since 2018, losing to Dublin 3-1.

Ignatius will be playing at Wasmer my old hometown, Westlake, on Wednesday. Ignatius was seeded #1, Westlake #16.

Won't be a total pushover game - I know a number of the Westlake players play alongside many of the Ignatius boys in club soccer, so there will be a lot of familiarity. Probably a 4-0 or 5-0 game, I would guess.

In the MaxPreps soccer rankings Ignatius is now #1 in the country. Two other schools in the greater Cleveland area are also ranked in the top ten, Hudson and Ignatius' nemesis, Medina. Lots of good soccer to be played in the tournament.

Last edited:
In a game that started out surprising close (Ignatius and Westkake were tied 1-1, the first time this year I believe that Ignatius was never ahead in a game) Ignatius scored on a penalty kick in the 16th minute and then in the next four minutes scored two more times. Thus, the score at halftime is 4-1 Ignatius.

Soccer Cats perform an exorcism on Westlake, driving out the Demons 9-1. Next game is against the winner of the Lakewood-No. Olmstead game on Saturday at 1:00 pm at Wasmer. No. Olmstead won 1-0 in OT to get the opportunity to face the Cats.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised to see that N. Olmsted had beaten Lakewood. I don't follow the two teams, but I would have assumed Lakewood would have been the better team by far. Not that either of them should be able to hang with Ignatius.

Next up would be the winner of Hoban and Solon, which could be interesting. At least it would theoretically start getting into 3-0 / 4-0 game range, instead of 12-0 and 9-1 type games (which N. Olmsted will likely be).

Soccer Cats pitch a shutout, 3-0 over No_Olmsted. Ignatius will next play the winner of the Hoban-Solon game.

Solon beat Hoban 1-0. Ignatius-Solon game will be on Wednesday at the friendly confines of Wasmer. Come out have some beers and a burger at Great Lakes and then see the #1 team in the country in action.

Last edited:
North Olmsted and Westlake used to area powers when I was playing back in my old days. North Olmsted had the best youth program out there outside of Bay Village. Hope they turn things around but it’s going to be a long time before they can compete with St. Ignatius.

If the Wildcats defeat Solon tomorrow night, they will tie the school record for consecutive victories (31). The futbol cats have twice won 31 in a row-- 2004-2006 and 2008-2009.

As far as the unbeaten streak, the Wildcats are currently at 40 in a row. The record is 61 (2014-2017).

Thanks Cl Tenn. for contributing to this thread. All the other Ignatius posters on Yappi seem to base their lives on an oblong ball, and have nothing to say or contribute about the best soccer team in the country.

North Olmsted and Westlake used to area powers when I was playing back in my old days. North Olmsted had the best youth program out there outside of Bay Village. Hope they turn things around but it’s going to be a long time before they can compete with St. Ignatius.

Bay Village had an amazing club goalie (back when every city had it's own club)! I remember NO beating them in the final of their own tournament, my grad class at NO winning State (1985 season), and my little brother's team pulling a runner up (1989)!

Last edited:
My brother played club with Brad Friedel and Jay Gonzalez on East West and I have never seen a better team than East West in the late 80s.

Bay Village had an amazing club goalie (back when every city had it's own club)! I remember NO beating them in the final of their own tournament, my grad class at NO winning State (1995 season), and my little brother's team pulling a runner up (1989)!

so you played with some talented players at North Olmsted in 95. I can’t remember the full names but they were loaded. Guys like Chris ? At forward, jason Sylvester, the Japanese forward was very good. I was good friends with Jeremy Kumchak (sp) way off. They were so good and always liked when they played rocky them song lol.

so you played with some talented players at North Olmsted in 95. I can’t remember the full names but they were loaded. Guys like Chris ? At forward, jason Sylvester, the Japanese forward was very good. I was good friends with Jeremy Kumchak (sp) way off. They were so good and always liked when they played rocky them song lol.
OOOOps! I meant 1985 season. Friedel was the goalie's name. Nice pull on that one. East-West was just getting a start around that time I believe. The Japanese forward you refer to (I'm pretty sure) was Joe, an exchange student, that pretty much permanently moved into my neighbor's house. It actually was pretty cool the feeling I got (old school pride) when my brother said they were playing Iggy's. Kind of like, "Yeah! my school!" 35 years later.

OOOOps! I meant 1985 season. Friedel was the goalie's name. Nice pull on that one. East-West was just getting a start around that time I believe. The Japanese forward you refer to (I'm pretty sure) was Joe, an exchange student, that pretty much permanently moved into my neighbor's house. It actually was pretty cool the feeling I got (old school pride) when my brother said they were playing Iggy's. Kind of like, "Yeah! my school!" 35 years later.

yes, I think it was Joey Matzamutu or something like that! Great teams in the 90s. I was happy to only lose to them 4-0 my sophomore year. I had two goals against them my senior year when they won the state championship in 96.

Ignatius sophomore Spicer scored in the 18th minute for a 2-1 score, and that opened the gates over a very good Solon team as they let in two more goals for a 4-1 final for Ignatius. I believe that Ignatius next plays the winner of the Massillon Jackson-Hudson game.

Assuming that Ignatius beats Jackson, the Cats will likely face Medina who last night beat a nationally ranked Avon Lake team 4-0. In the past Medina has been the roadblock for several Ignatius teams. In the southern part of the state St. X looks like the team to advance to the final four.