St. Edward Hockey 2018-2019

sehs

The Eagles opened up their season with a 3-2 win over Holy Name and a 2-1 win over Erie Cathedral Prep. It was lost in the big football weekend against Mentor. The real question is, can they challenge St. Ignatius on the ice this year?

Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From ‘95 to ‘98 it was St. Ed’s and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Green’s high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.

Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From ‘95 to ‘98 it was St. Ed’s and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Green’s high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.

BG is hoping to be back as soon as next year but it will be with a new coach. This age group has always had low participation numbers as they progressed through youth hockey. They would've been able to field a small team this year, 10-12 kids maybe. but some of the kids chose not to play because they (or their parents) had issues with the coach. So they ran him off, after 28 years coaching there, due to the opinions of a few disgruntled individuals. One longtime assistant was already set to step down and the other is the coaches son so they'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.

It'll be interesting to see who they get and how the remaining players respond. There are a decent number of kids in youth hockey who will be freshmen next year. The youth program is also giving priority to BG kids over those from other communities (10 kids per travel team must be from BG). That should help the HS team down the line.

Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.

Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.

I agree. We don't get to watch. They travel all the time. I do understand it though. Recently, they don't have much competition outside of about 3 teams in the area. I guess if this model helps atteact the best kids then that's okay.

The strange thing is Ignatius seemingly rejected that athletic philosophy for football and other sports even if opportunities were presented

They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's).

And it's their only game against an Ohio team all year until states. Not making an appearance in the Padua tournament as the did last year.

It's unconventional but if they keep being successful and moving kids on to good leagues it will be here to stay.

I am very surprised and disappointed that the Ignatius administration allowed the hockey team and its coach to take this course of action. It seems to be counter to every thing that Ignatius is supposed to stand for.

Cats got blown out this weekend by some team called the Shady Side Academy Prep. Why, oh why, why aren't they playing Padua, Cleveland Hgts, Shaker, etc.?

Cats got blown out this weekend by some team called the Shady Side Academy Prep. Why, oh why, why aren't they playing Padua, Cleveland Hgts, Shaker, etc.?

In year's past Ed's and Ignatius have played Shadyside, I believe in tournaments though. The step the Wildcats took might be what they felt was necessary in order to compete and not lose kids to the juniors. It's certainly worked over the past few years. I felt last year, Ed's was just a step behind. They competed and they fought and just were not good enough. We will see what this season brings as St. Ed's seems to have a very strong team.

I think the way Ignatius is structuring their program is a smart move. They are playing much better competition than anyone else in Ohio and proving they can prepare kids for top junior leagues. Top players get to represent their school and are legitimately being prepared to move on to the NAHL or USHL and eventually college hockey. It's really the only way to attract kids that would otherwise go to the Barons or a similar route. And whether people like it or not it's working so far...

I just wish they played more games locally. Sucks not to be able to watch them and now I have to go to Winterhurst Winterhurst! to watch. Hate that place.

The Pittsburgh Predators that Ignatius played are the 88th ranked AAA team. The Pittsburgh Vengeance are the 139th ranked AAA team. You can't establish yourself as a top place for development playing teams like that.

The Pittsburgh Predators that Ignatius played are the 88th ranked AAA team. The Pittsburgh Vengeance are the 139th ranked AAA team. You can't establish yourself as a top place for development playing teams like that.

Which Ohio high school team is doing a better job of developing talent? Or playing a tougher schedule? They swept Brighton and Hartland in Michigan, those teams are better than anyone in Ohio.

Which Ohio high school team is doing a better job of developing talent? Or playing a tougher schedule? They swept Brighton and Hartland in Michigan, those teams are better than anyone in Ohio.

As much as I hate to say it, high school hockey in Ohio isn't the answer. The talent level as a whole has dropped off a ton the last two years which hurts everyone. Ignatius having multiple teams is hurting the whole area, how many of those kids on Ignatius' third team wouldn't be better suited somewhere else. Sure they might be the best team in the State and they play better teams than all the other high school teams, but you can't say it's a better place for developing players compared to most AAA teams. How many kids at Ignatius besides Spellacy have gone on to play NCAA Hockey in the last few years.

As much as I hate to say it, high school hockey in Ohio isn't the answer. The talent level as a whole has dropped off a ton the last two years which hurts everyone. Ignatius having multiple teams is hurting the whole area, how many of those kids on Ignatius' third team wouldn't be better suited somewhere else. Sure they might be the best team in the State and they play better teams than all the other high school teams, but you can't say it's a better place for developing players compared to most AAA teams. How many kids at Ignatius besides Spellacy have gone on to play NCAA Hockey in the last few years.

Maybe so, but you can’t fault Ignatius for trying to position itself as a viable option. This is a debate for the parents and players. Those third team players made their decision for whatever reason. Nobody forced them to play there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe so, but you can’t fault Ignatius for trying to position itself as a viable option. This is a debate for the parents and players. Those third team players made their decision for whatever reason. Nobody forced them to play there.

The Cats have lost numerous players over the last 24 months. Once the players see they will not make the #1 squad they leave so they can play.

How is everyone else looking outside of Ignatius? Looking like a tight 4 team race in Northwest Ohio with the edge to St. John's right now. Kind of a down year around here overall. St. Francis isn't the dominant team they've been the past few years.

^This is the truth..... the majority of area high school players that do go on to Juniors, will eventually matriculate to ACHA D1 Hockey programs, a very small percentage make it onto even a NCAA DIII roster.

How is everyone else looking outside of Ignatius? Looking like a tight 4 team race in Northwest Ohio with the edge to St. John's right now. Kind of a down year around here overall. St. Francis isn't the dominant team they've been the past few years.
May be Gilmour's year at the Kent district. U.S. looks down. Mentor good.

St. Edward might be 2nd best in Brooklyn District. Holy Name maybe.

Interesting week last week for St. Ed's. Went 2-1 with wins over top ranked Gilmour and Shaker Heights but lost 6-4 to Lake Catholic.