St. Edward Football 2018

sehs

Now that March Madness is over for the basketball team, I thought it was time to have the new season thread for the Eagles.

What does the schedule look like? Who is returning? How can we win the state title?

St. Edward 2018
8/24 A Mentor
8/31 H Detroit Cass Technical (MI)
9/8 H Washington Howard D. Woodson (DC)
9/15 A Cincinnati Elder
9/21 N Unknown Opponent/Open
9/29 A Akron Buchtel
10/6 H Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
10/12 H Nepean Football North-St. Joseph (ON)
10/20 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/26 A Cleveland St. Ignatius

Garrett Dzuro, Jordan Castleberry, and Quintel Kent are all back on offense after accounting for a large bulk of the production from last year, and should form one of the better QB/RB/WR trios in the state. Mackenzie Wainwright is a very talented youngster that saw some time at WR late in the season and could really blow up this year (assuming he plays football rather than focus on baseball). Zach Cepis and Caleb Herring return on the O-line.

Lot more holes to fill on defense. Caden Kolesar is back at safety as the lone returner in the secondary and has all-state potential. Daylan Jernigan could fill the other safety slot after seeing time last year. Teon Smith played a good amount at LB last year and is a likely starter. Jeff Pietrowski saw time as a soph last year on the DL and he should be a lock to start as well.

The upcoming juniors have had a pretty good group the last few years at the JV and freshman levels. The Nash twins and Alain Trice are other guys to look out for.

Box Office Poison

The home schedule consists of four games so far: a Detroit team, an Indiana team, a DC team, and a Canadian team.
I assume that a fifth game will eventually be added, probably against Canada or some similarly distant team.
Not a single opponent from Ohio.

Could this be the least attractive home schedule in St. Edward history?
With four or five home games, 2018 might have the lowest total attendance in decades.

Can someone clarify that the dates are correct....unless I'm mistaken, the Detroit and Canadian games are scheduled for Friday nights. Is that correct?
Are we playing Friday night home games now?

On the bright side, 2019 looks very interesting....Holy War, Moeller, and presumably a return game from Mentor.

I am looking forward to seeing these home opponents play the Eagles in 2018 or

Detroit Cass Technical (MI)
Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)

Missing from the 2018 schedule has been a somewhat consistent regular season game with Glenville.

Go Eagles!

I remember the Nash twins from CYO.
What positions do they play these days?
O or D?

At the lower levels they've been playing both ways. Logan at QB (mostly as a read-option run threat) and CB, and Lawson at RB and SS. At the varsity level I see them primarily as defensive backs, although I anticipate they will be used out of the offensive backfield and slot positions as well. Punt and kick returns too.

The home schedule consists of four games so far: a Detroit team, an Indiana team, a DC team, and a Canadian team.
I assume that a fifth game will eventually be added, probably against Canada or some similarly distant team.
Not a single opponent from Ohio.

Could this be the least attractive home schedule in St. Edward history?
With four or five home games, 2018 might have the lowest total attendance in decades.

Can someone clarify that the dates are correct....unless I'm mistaken, the Detroit and Canadian games are scheduled for Friday nights. Is that correct?
Are we playing Friday night home games now?

On the bright side, 2019 looks very interesting....Holy War, Moeller, and presumably a return game from Mentor.

Yes those games will be played on Friday Nights.

I would hope a Friday night home game would draw a better crowd than the Saturday afternoon affairs we've grown accustomed to, but with the opponents being teams from Detroit and Canada I don't anticipate anywhere near a packed house. A Friday night game against Mentor would draw a good crowd.

I would hope Friday night home games would help with attendance too. I miss the days of packed stadiums with the cheering section riled up for a big game. Those are the kind of memories kids make at St. Ed's while not playing sports or getting ready for their time under the lights as they progress from underclassmen to upperclassmen. It's a community builder for the current students and I do not think the school does enough to place an emphasis on that. However even if the whole school came to a football game, there would still be empty seats because times have just changed. We stream all the games online, its easier for older alumni who might attend to watch it in the comfort of their own homes. Families are very busy, so what used to be a family night with little kids there too has become just another event among several events a family is trying to get their children too.

The schedule will hurt attendance too. Playing so many out of Cleveland teams takes local interest out of it and lastly St. Ed's has been a victim of its own success. Many games are a forgone conclusion by the time the 2nd half starts. Obviously not all of them and it changes from year to year but you can be sure the Eagle football team comes ready to play every game and rarely looks outmatched by anyone. I miss the old days but life has changed I think, so has football.

In a battle of the #1 and #2 ranked single-school teams in the country, the Eagle ruggers defeated the Cats last night 21-14. This is the first of three possible matchups between these squads, with the Midwest tournament and States in the future.

St. Edward 2018
8/24 A Mentor
9/8 H Washington Howard D. Woodson (DC)
9/15 A Cincinnati Elder
9/22 H COF Academy
9/29 A Akron Buchtel
10/12 H Football North-St. Joseph (ON) (in the backyard)

COF Academy ; bills itself as the "Premier Sports High School"

They expect to have around 800 students.and are not members of the OHSAA

Looks like the defending PA 4A champs Cathedral Prep have been added to the schedule in place of Woodson for week 3.

St. Edward 2018
8/24 A Mentor
9/7 H Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)
9/15 A Cincinnati Elder
9/22 H Columbus COF Academy
9/29 A Akron Buchtel
10/12 H Nepean Football North-St. Joseph (ON)

Maybe since all playoff games are on Friday now, they wanted to not have a short week before round 1?

No I believe news will be coming out very soon why this game is going to be played on a Friday night.

One local team will win down at that factory of sadness!

No I believe news will be coming out very soon why this game is going to be played on a Friday night.

One local team will win down at that factory of sadness!

To be played at browns stadium since they are home on Sunday of that week vs Steelers

Iggies home game. I'm sure with Kyle in with the Browns this is how the game is being played at the stadium. I would assume Jimmy is taking care of the Cats on this one.

I understand that the game was offered to Lombardo last year, but he thought Lakewood would be a better advantage for his team.