St Edward Eagles

Looks like no holiday tournament for the Eagles. Maybe because they are participating in the Flying to the Hoop this year?
Pretty sure they were supposed to play in the Iolani Basketball Classic in Hawaii that just ended over the weekend with Oak Hill winning. Heard it all fell thru when the school wouldn't let the team miss a few days of school.

Pretty sure they were supposed to play in the Iolani Basketball Classic in Hawaii that just ended over the weekend with Oak Hill winning. Heard it all fell thru when the school wouldn't let the team miss a few days of school.
They thought they were going to go back to Myrtle Beach with the Class of Seniors they have. But The Beach Ball Classic took Buchtel because of Livingston. Well they got what they wanted minus Livingston

Gutted out the win in Sullivan. Never easy. Good game for the sophomore Bova. JV's also came out on top.

Also, congrats to Flan on win #450!

Last edited:
Busy weekend for the Eagles that will really test their mettle. Squaring off against a talented Lorain team at their place before heading down to Dayton for Flying to the Hoop where they will play powerhouse Huntington Prep on Saturday and Cincinnati Princeton on Sunday.

Big weekend for the Eagles. 3 games in 3 nights all on road. Will be a big mental and physical test for Flannery's players. Friday night at Lorain, then hit the road right after to Dayton for flying to the hoop against Princeton and Harvest Prep on Saturday and Sunday.

Eagles win on the road at Lorain and then pull off a huge victory over Huntington Prep! Play Cincinnati Princeton today

Eagles win on the road at Lorain and then pull off a huge victory over Huntington Prep! Play Cincinnati Princeton today
IMO this cements St. Edward's as the favorite in D1 this year! Good luck to the Eagle the rest of the year.

Many might not realize the Eagles are in the middle of an 8 game swing on the road. 4 of them are neutral site games. They don't have a home game until February 1st against Cleveland Central Catholic. This team will be road tested against teams that vary in playing style. This is how Coach Flan sets up the schedule to prepare for a tournament run. I would not be disappointed if they finish this back to back to back with 2-1 record. Huge win against Huntington Prep #23 in country. This team has won games easily and ugly, some as coach Flan says they would not have won last year. These kids have bought into each other and the TEAM Philosophy. Give Worthy of the Jersey Podcast a listen from Coach Flannery. Gives good insight in the making of this team.

Great win over nationally-ranked Huntington Prep (WV) last night. Montorie Foster, Jr. and Devontae Blanton led the scoring with 19 and 18 points, respectively. The Eagles had a slim 64-62 lead just past the halfway mark of the fourth quarter. Blanton and Huffman then hit back-to-back 3-pointers. That ignited an 11-4 run to clinch the win, 75-66. Here are some key stats that led to the victory:

IMO this cements St. Edward's as the favorite in D1 this year! Good luck to the Eagle the rest of the year.

They are probably the best D-1 team right now. The "favorite" is so hard to call. Moeller probably has as good a shot as anyone to win the tournament, but if Eds can control tempo then they should be the favorite to win every game they play. If a great defensive team can slow things down enough against Eds to be played in the 50-point range like Bradley, then anything can happen.

They are probably the best D-1 team right now. The "favorite" is so hard to call. Moeller probably has as good a shot as anyone to win the tournament, but if Eds can control tempo then they should be the favorite to win every game they play. If a great defensive team can slow things down enough against Eds to be played in the 50-point range like Bradley, then anything can happen.
I think the team learned a lot from the Bradley game. The defense has been getting better each game.

St. Edward defeated Cincinnati Princeton, 91-65, at the Flyin’ to the Hoop Invitational. The Eagles connected on 74% of their shots, led by Grant Huffman (9 of 10 for 23 points) and Tae Tae Blanton (6 of 8 for 15 points). They won three games this weekend and are now 12-1 overall.

Very true. But while it is very "unscientific" to go the "common opponent" route, in looking at St. Edward and Moeller through the "how they did against STVM" prism, IMO St. Edward's was the more impressive team.

Polls mean very little to Flannery he cares more how they are playing at the end of the season, the team needs to stay focused and play like they have been and they should see themselves in the final 4. They will be big favorites to win the average Lakewood district and then gets shipped out to Akron to play the Elyria district which could be Lorain then if win that they will play in Toledo vs Lima, etc should be an interesting last part of the season.

Somebody temper my enthusiasm but this team seems like a promising tourney team. Good road wins and good defense at game’s end. If they can shoot well and convert free throws I like them in the tourney.

Very true. But while it is very "unscientific" to go the "common opponent" route, in looking at St. Edward and Moeller through the "how they did against STVM" prism, IMO St. Edward's was the more impressive team.

St. V was at home vs Moe, and had Marcus Johnson. Eagles had St. V at home, minus Marcus Johnson. He is probably their 2nd best player, and a load inside. I'd call the results a wash.

Somebody temper my enthusiasm but this team seems like a promising tourney team. Good road wins and good defense at game’s end. If they can shoot well and convert free throws I like them in the tourney.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the shooting and free throws...But those are big IFs for this group. It looks like they shot well this weekend, but the games I have been to this year, the shooting was pretty abysmal. There isn't really anyone on the team who is reliable from behind the arc consistently.

Flannery's teams seem to do well against the Prep schools, who play tons of games and aren't used to the defensive intensity. But the defensive pressure is not going to catch the GCL schools, or some of the central Ohio powers off guard. Moeller with their big Duncomb is a bad matchup. Should the Eagles make it that far, they will need to make a few early 3s to open things up.

It doesn't matter who we think is better now between Moe and Ed's if they both win they will have a chance to play against each other in Columbus. I would probably rank Moe #1 and Ed's #2 right now but we will see in March.

Agreed. While Moeller is a a great team, they are not the team of the past couple of years.

A short handed Eagle squad took out Akron Hoban and Aspire Academy this weekend. The relentless team culture is incredible, down two starters against Aspire, the Eagles won handily enough that Huffman and Blanton barely played in the 4th quarter if at all!

During the pre-game interview, Coach Flan said that both Chris Ringfield and Montorie Foster are "banged up." He said Foster was experiencing "some soreness." So, their injuries do not sound serious. I'm guessing they'll both be in the lineup when the Eagles travel to Lutheran East on Friday.

During the pre-game interview, Coach Flan said that both Chris Ringfield and Montorie Foster are "banged up." He said Foster was experiencing "some soreness." So, their injuries do not sound serious. I'm guessing they'll both be in the lineup when the Eagles travel to Lutheran East on Friday.
Thanks